Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline Price Increase
I was looking at what other books I needed to acquire for my next round of classes at Straighterline and it looks like they're increasing the cost of a class from $49 to $59. However, this appears to now include the textbooks for each of the classes. Each of the classes now has an orange "ETEXTBOOK INCLUDED" banner, but does not appear to offer an option where you don't buy the textbook. This could potentially be good news for people who haven't been able to source an ebook, but unfortunate in the case where you already purchased the book, like myself.
Turkish Wrote:I was looking at what other books I needed to acquire for my next round of classes at Straighterline and it looks like they're increasing the cost of a class from $49 to $59. However, this appears to now include the textbooks for each of the classes. Each of the classes now has an orange "ETEXTBOOK INCLUDED" banner, but does not appear to offer an option where you don't buy the textbook. This could potentially be good news for people who haven't been able to source an ebook, but unfortunate in the case where you already purchased the book, like myself.

Which class is this for? I was able to buy used copies of these books very cheap, but $10 is very reasonable for an electronic copy.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
mednat Wrote:Which class is this for? I was able to buy used copies of these books very cheap, but $10 is very reasonable for an electronic copy.

Right now it just looks like the business courses;

Accounting 1
Accounting 2
Business Communication
Business Ethics
Business Law
Business Statistics
Financial Accounting
Intro to Business
Macroeconomics
Managerial Accounting
Microeconomics
Organizational Behavior
Personal Finance
Principles of Management
I just took multiple business courses in the last couple months, and paid a small fortune for several of the ebooks (like over $150 each for some of the courses), so this is a great deal to just pay $10 more at registration! I'm just kicking myself for not waiting until now to take them and saving $600 :ack:

Turkish Wrote:Right now it just looks like the business courses;

Accounting 1
Accounting 2
Business Communication
Business Ethics
Business Law
Business Statistics
Financial Accounting
Intro to Business
Macroeconomics
Managerial Accounting
Microeconomics
Organizational Behavior
Personal Finance
Principles of Management
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Bad news for those who already have access to the textbooks Sad

Study.com is looking more attractive now
$10 is a pretty good deal. I probably would have taken more courses if ebooks were included. Most of the time the ebooks were more expensive than the courses themselves. With the course discount codes and a free month with ASH100, SL is still half the price of Study.com if you go at a quick pace
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
This is good news for me as I will be taking Accounting 1 and Managerial Accounting in the new year Smile and I won't have to spend the money for the textbooks that they usually charge
Completed BSc in Business Administration (COSC) May 31st, 2017

(Study.com) Psychology 101 / Psychology 102 / US History 1 / Principles of Management / Western Civilization II / Environmental Science 101 / Psychology 103 / US History 2 / Geology 101 / Earth Science / Psychology 107 / Political Science 102 / Sociology 101 / Principles of Marketing / Financial Accounting / Managerial Accounting / Principles of Finance
(Saylor) Business Law and Ethics
(DSST) Vietnam War / World Religions / Business Ethics and Society / Technical Writing / Management Information Systems
(CLEP) Microeconomics / Macroeconomics / English Literature / American Literature / College Composition
(UExcel) Human Resource Management / Research Methods in Psychology / World Population / Labor Relations / Psychology of Adulthood & Aging / Social Psychology / BioEthics / Organizational Behavior
(COSC) Conerstone / Capstone
(Straighterline) Intro to Communications / Biology Lab / Business Statistics
I just looked and they're showing two options for each of those classes. $49 for the class without the textbook and $59 for the ebook included. I guess they realized that they would alienate some users if they didn't allow a non-ebook version. Not to mention that they'd lose the ability to advertise "Only $49 per course!"

I really like the new option. Some course textbooks can be found used for a few bucks, but some can't - and $10 for a searchable ebook is very fair!
MBA - WGU - In Progress
BA Social Sciences - TESU - 2016
kb4ns1 Wrote:I just looked and they're showing two options for each of those classes. $49 for the class without the textbook and $59 for the ebook included. I guess they realized that they would alienate some users if they didn't allow a non-ebook version. Not to mention that they'd lose the ability to advertise "Only $49 per course!"

I really like the new option. Some course textbooks can be found used for a few bucks, but some can't - and $10 for a searchable ebook is very fair!

Please post the link here. I have searched and i cannot find the $59 option including the textbook. Thanks
Only Business courses have the eTextbook included at this time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 827 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 664 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  outlier increasing price in 7 days sialiblo 13 1,349 10-14-2022, 09:44 PM
Last Post: tuckerarabi786
  What’s in a Name? An Enrollment Increase, When a College Becomes a University LevelUP 13 2,991 07-13-2022, 10:46 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,071 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Elite Private Schools Increase Assets (UK) bjcheung77 0 428 12-05-2021, 01:30 AM
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 877 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,654 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,284 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Fixed Price Self Pace? iwantmydegreeplz 2 874 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Last Post: sanantone