Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Straighterline Review
Since I have now completed all my straighterline classes I thought it was time for a review.

Overall, I really enjoyed all the straighterline classes and I highly recommend them for those that need the credit.

Some tips

Buy the ebooks (used) with the test being open book they help a lot

Don't be afraid to skip around in the classes. In classes where there was writing and tests, I would do all the tests and then all the writing.

If you ever have issues straighterline customer service is great.

It is possible to go very quickly through some of the classes you just have to be dedicated

English I - Both of the English classes have a lot of writing assignments, but if you haven't written a college paper in a while, these help get back in the writing grove. They do not grade that hard, but make sure to follow the format. I have been a B writer my entire life and that is what I got on most assignments.

English II - Tests are harder than English I, but the written assignments are easier. Note that I highly recommend not taking the class offered by the professor she is a very tough grader. I did not take this class with the professor option, but somehow she graded almost all of my assignments and she was extremely tough grader.

U.S. History 92% - I really enjoyed this class, but I like history. Pretty straightforward class.

Cultural Anthropology 82% - Decent class, if you have the book you will be fine.

Intro to Religion 80% - Ok class

Intro to Comm 90% - You have to do three speeches, don't over think them as they are not tough graders. If you follow the format and are confident in your speech you will do fine.

Business Ethics 83% - Note that all of the business classes where harder than any of the other classes. Business ethics is the easiest of all of them besides intro to business, but still pretty challenging.

Principles of Management 79% - Very in-depth class, but if you have business experience it is not bad

Intro to Criminal Justice 82% - Interesting class

Intro to Env Science 84% - I really liked this class and the book helped.

Org Behavior 73% - Hardest class I took, good luck you have to be on your game for this one.

Intro to Business 85% - basic intro class

Business Comm 84% - The written assignments take a while, one has to be 1,200 words long. Don't overthink the three written assignments just follow the formatting. They do grade the written part of the final pretty tough.

Micro Econ 86% - This class is a marathon just keep plugging away at it.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has on these classes and my overall experience as well
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
[-] The following 1 user Likes Goblue34's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
Goblue34 Wrote:Since I have now completed all my straighterline classes I thought it was time for a review.

Overall, I really enjoyed all the straighterline classes and I highly recommend them for those that need the credit.

Some tips

Buy the ebooks (used) with the test being open book they help a lot

Don't be afraid to skip around in the classes. In classes where there was writing and tests, I would do all the tests and then all the writing.

If you ever have issues straighterline customer service is great.

It is possible to go very quickly through some of the classes you just have to be dedicated

English I - Both of the English classes have a lot of writing assignments, but if you haven't written a college paper in a while, these help get back in the writing grove. They do not grade that hard, but make sure to follow the format. I have been a B writer my entire life and that is what I got on most assignments.

English II - Tests are harder than English I, but the written assignments are easier. Note that I highly recommend not taking the class offered by the professor she is a very tough grader. I did not take this class with the professor option, but somehow she graded almost all of my assignments and she was extremely tough grader.

U.S. History 92% - I really enjoyed this class, but I like history. Pretty straightforward class.

Cultural Anthropology 82% - Decent class, if you have the book you will be fine.

Intro to Religion 80% - Ok class

Intro to Comm 90% - You have to do three speeches, don't over think them as they are not tough graders. If you follow the format and are confident in your speech you will do fine.

Business Ethics 83% - Note that all of the business classes where harder than any of the other classes. Business ethics is the easiest of all of them besides intro to business, but still pretty challenging.

Principles of Management 79% - Very in-depth class, but if you have business experience it is not bad

Intro to Criminal Justice 82% - Interesting class

Intro to Env Science 84% - I really liked this class and the book helped.

Org Behavior 73% - Hardest class I took, good luck you have to be on your game for this one.

Intro to Business 85% - basic intro class

Business Comm 84% - The written assignments take a while, one has to be 1,200 words long. Don't overthink the three written assignments just follow the formatting. They do grade the written part of the final pretty tough.

Micro Econ 86% - This class is a marathon just keep plugging away at it.

I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has on these classes and my overall experience as well

Great write up!!

On average, how long did it take for you to complete the classes?
navy3912 Wrote:Great write up!!

On average, how long did it take for you to complete the classes?

For the classes without writing I would say 4-7 days (Micro took longer), and the ones with writing took longer about 2 weeks.

Self paced works for me because at times I will spend an entire night working on something and at other times I wouldn't touch it for days.
MSML, Western Governors University (In Progress)
MBA, Western Governors University (Check)
B.S. Charter Oak State College (Check)

Transferred in 84 Credits from a 4 year school

COSC - Cornerstone (A), Capstone (A)
Straighterline
English I 84%, English II 80%, U.S. History 92%, Cultural Anthropology 82%, Intro to Religion 80%, Intro to Comm 90%, Business Ethics 83%, Principles of Management 79%, Intro to Criminal Justice 82%, Intro to Env Science 84%, Org Behavior 73%, Intro to Business 85% Business Comm 84%, Micro Econ 86%
Goblue34 Wrote:For the classes without writing I would say 4-7 days (Micro took longer), and the ones with writing took longer about 2 weeks.

Self paced works for me because at times I will spend an entire night working on something and at other times I wouldn't touch it for days.

That sounds about right. Thanks, it gives me a good time frame on CLEP and DSSTs in comparison. Congrats on all of the course completions!
Thank you for your input! I think im better at self-paced also especially with working full time and being a mom to 4. I think I may start with English and Into to Env Science (does this count as a science credit?)
Great Review! Similar to my experience. I would add Business Law was the hardest of the Business classes for me (other than the sheer amount of tests in micro/macro).
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I just finished with Straighterline as well. The lowest grade I got in a Straighterline course was an 89 in Nutrition; figures, since it was the only of my eight finals that wasn't open book.

I really think I took too long with Straighterline, actually; some of the easier courses like Intro to Religion and Intro to Anthropology I could've knocked out in a day instead of a week.
jmgst71 Wrote:I just finished with Straighterline as well. The lowest grade I got in a Straighterline course was an 89 in Nutrition; figures, since it was the only of my eight finals that wasn't open book.

I really think I took too long with Straighterline, actually; some of the easier courses like Intro to Religion and Intro to Anthropology I could've knocked out in a day instead of a week.

I just found out I need to get my nutrition course done really quickly. The book is so DRY I'm struggling to get through it. Did you find that you were able to pass the final without having to study your notes a lot before hand? Were the questions similar to the ones on the topic exam or were they from out in left field? I need to pass obviously but Im less concerned about GPA than I was with my other online courses.

Any input would be helpful thanks!
I’m taking the Criminal Justice course right now. I just took the midterm which was 50 questions. How many questions are on the final, if you remember?
I took Criminal Justice last month. There were 50 questions on the final just like the midterm.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 832 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 674 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 354 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 616 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,073 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Institution or Professor review websites bjcheung77 2 802 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 886 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,664 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Arkansas State online MPA Review cardiacclep 22 6,991 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,288 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk