Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline -- Today (12/11/2012) is the last day!
If you are considering Straighterline then today is the day to do it. Tomorrow they are going to have a big price increase.

Initially Straighterline did not require proctored exams, but they have recently added this requirement to their finals. This was probably a stipulation mandated by the numerous colleges with which Straighterline is partnered. In any event, Straighterline now requires that students take their finals with ProctorU looking over their virtual shoulder, and ProctorU charges $30 an exam. Any course purchased after Nov.1 requires a proctored exam.

However, Straighterline also has a package deal that costs $999 and allows the student to take 10 courses over the span of a year. Straighterline still requires a proctored exam for courses started after Nov. 1, but Straighterline eats the cost of these proctored exams. However, tomorrow the price of this program goes up by $300 --- i.e. Straighterline is going to start passing along the cost of those ProctorU exams.

I had planned on taking a couple of courses from Straighterline, but with the price increase I decided to just bite the bullet and pay for a year. The cost per class still works out to about the same as the cost of a CLEP test with sitting fee, but I have the convenience of not going to a testing center.

Straighterline is also adding a bunch more courses tomorrow. If you buy their $999 package today you will be asked to select the 10 courses for which you want to enroll. The list of courses doesn't include the new courses they are adding tomorrow. However, I called and spoke with one of their representatives and was told I could select just one or two courses from the list and then select the Enroll button at the top of the screen (the enroll hyperlink at the bottom of the screen doesn't work), and I could select the rest of the courses later, which would include their new courses.

Sorry for being so long winded, but hopefully this helps someone.
Nice work, hopefully this can save somebody a bit of money.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Way to go and good info. Glad they'll allow you to take some of the new courses.

One piece of advice, DON'T PROCRASTINATE. I know I had the tendency to do that, esp with courses like Macro or Micro with 20 tests each, and I was only on the monthly plan. It's especially easy to put it off when life gets in the way. I don't know you're personality, how you work, and what not, but upwards of 10 courses is a lot, and a year seems even longer. Fact is, it will go pretty fast. It'd be better to finish all the courses with 2, 3 months to spare then spending the last 4 months working nonstop. Anyway, stay the track, and I'm sure you'll do fine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine acquires Childcare Education Institute bjcheung77 2 827 05-16-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: glammie83
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 663 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Science plus lab alterantives for Study.com/StraighterLine echo64 6 1,071 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM
  Stressed & Depressed - today’s high school students Vle045 8 1,063 12-09-2021, 08:40 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 876 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
  Straighterline Pharmacology 103 tyson14136 16 3,653 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,284 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  Just found this website today - Seeking Wisdom Never2Late2Learn 18 3,127 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Never2Late2Learn
Exclamation BS/BA Degree plan using ACE/Straighterline Credits breezy55 1 1,473 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Straighterline Business Statistics Tips Bunii 3 2,729 07-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Bunii