Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline platform changing to Acrobatiq courses
I've noticed in a previous thread that the Intro to Statistics course at Straighterline changed from using Saylor to Acrobatiq.
http://www.degreeforum.net/saylor-org-st...ourse.html

Sure enough, when I checked, it did! Online Introduction To Statistics Course for Credit | StraighterLine
The course was $25 now it's $74 (the same pricing as all other Straighterline courses that use Acrobatiq)

Straighterline now has 4 courses of the 6 that Acrobatiq offers (uses McGraw-Hill for Anatomy & Physiology and Psychology)
They changed their Intro to Biology and Intro to Statistics to use Acrobatiq in the last couple of weeks.
Resource: Benefits of Adaptive Learning Systems in Higher Education | Acrobatiq

As per Acrobatiq resource above, they currently have 6 courses:
Anatomy & Physiology
Introduction to Biology
Introduction to Psychology
IT Fundamentals
Statistics
Survey of World History

From the looks of things, they may switch Introduction to Psychology to Acrobatiq as well, not sure about A&P though.
Their format is nice and simple. I found out from a friend that WGU's IT Fundamentals, uses the same Acrobatiq course.

I am going to try it again with the Introduction to Statistics course, even though I have credit for Business Statistics already.
As I had 65% with the old Intro to Statistics course, I hope this "new" course allows me to pass with 85% like Business Stats.
It may be a waste of money and time, hmm... I'll decide on that after I finish off my other classes with other providers.
I just hate to have a "lower grade" on my transcript when I send everything over to TESU or another school in the future.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Really, really looking forward to your thoughts on this new version of the course.
Here Researching for my son, who has done the following:
Community College: Intro to Philosophy, Fundamentals of IT, English Comp 1
Saylor: Intro to Business, Principles of  Marketing, Corporate Communication
Shmoop: US History 2 (WGU won't accept this)
ALEKS: Int. Algebra, College Algebra
Study.com: Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, HR Management, Global Business, Advanced Operations Management
Straighterline: US History 2, Environmental Science, US History, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, English Comp 2, Principles of Management, Business Law, Business Ethics, Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Accounting 1,Communication, Managerial Accounting, Statistics
Ed4Credit: Managing Information Systems
Sophia: Project Management
WGU: Bachelors in HR Management 

Second son is currently attending Penn Foster for his high school diploma, then on to Ashworth for An Associates in Criminal Justice
Yeah, let me know...I'm in the same boat as you (65% on the old course, haven't started Business Stats yet though). I only intend to pass ONE stats class but if seems like the new Intro to Stats class is comparable/the same as Business Stats, I might consider that instead.
You don't get any credit for it at TESU, both Stats courses at SL give the same course equivalency. So it's definitely a waste of money there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Is this a good change, or a bad change?
Well, the old SL course was cheaper but had a 50% weighted final, so...idk; depends on your tolerance level. I hated the heavily-weighted final; I probably could have passed if it had only accounted for 30% of the grade.
The finals didn't mean anything for any of the courses I took. I had already passed 700 points in all four courses before the final. Will that still be possible with the new setup?
ndelcollo Wrote:The finals didn't mean anything for any of the courses I took. I had already passed 700 points in all four courses before the final. Will that still be possible with the new setup?

It will now. The old Intro to Stats was different in that the pre-final exams only went to 500 points, but the new one is like most of the other SL courses. It seems like SL prefers the 70/30 ratio so I wouldn't image that any courses would go backwards in that respect.
Gymfan15 Wrote:Well, the old SL course was cheaper but had a 50% weighted final, so...idk; depends on your tolerance level. I hated the heavily-weighted final; I probably could have passed if it had only accounted for 30% of the grade.

That's what happened to me with the old Straighterline Stats course. I took the Business Stats and passed with an 85%.

ndelcollo Wrote:The finals didn't mean anything for any of the courses I took. I had already passed 700 points in all four courses before the final. Will that still be possible with the new setup?

It is possible with the new setup, the % of the final isn't as much as the original. I think it's 30% of the final grade for all Acrobatiq courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Gymfan15 Wrote:It will now. The old Intro to Stats was different in that the pre-final exams only went to 500 points, but the new one is like most of the other SL courses. It seems like SL prefers the 70/30 ratio so I wouldn't image that any courses would go backwards in that respect.

Ahh, ok. I understand now. It was definitely a relief to not have to worry about studying for the finals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 78 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,577 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 966 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares