Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline postponed start date?
Hi - can you get the free course offer and designate a later start date?

Promo right now: JLFREE20

And if not, how often does the free course promo come around?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clepper43's post:
  • LongRoad
If you keep an eye on the promo thread, they have codes every couple of months. It's not all the time, but it's certainly relatively frequent.
(07-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Hi - can you get the free course offer and designate a later start date?

You can purchase as many courses as you like but you don't have to begin them right away. In an extreme example of this, I purchased 3 courses in 2011 from Straighterline and didn't come back to finish them until 2018. They don't expire. As another example, I still have one course in my SL account from 2018 that I haven't started yet; I am considering switching it to Calculus to take it sometime in the next few months.

That said, depending on the promotion you may not qualify for the discount (or be able to use the coupon to purchase a course) unless you have an active Straighterline subscription. In that case, unless you plan to start at least one of the courses right away, it wouldn't make sense to use the coupon since you'd have to pay for a month of access first.

As rachel84az mentioned, SL offers promotions several times a year. In my experience it is at least once a quarter. They offer discounts more often in the summer since people are out of school and preparing for fall courses.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-16-2020, 05:46 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 10:54 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Hi - can you get the free course offer and designate a later start date?

You can purchase as many courses as you like but you don't have to begin them right away. In an extreme example of this, I purchased 3 courses in 2011 from Straighterline and didn't come back to finish them until 2018. They don't expire. As another example, I still have one course in my SL account from 2018 that I haven't started yet; I am considering switching it to Calculus to take it sometime in the next few months.

That said, depending on the promotion you may not qualify for the discount (or be able to use the coupon to purchase a course) unless you have an active Straighterline subscription. In that case, unless you plan to start at least one of the courses right away, it wouldn't make sense to use the coupon since you'd have to pay for a month of access first.

As rachel84az mentioned, SL offers promotions several times a year. In my experience it is at least once a quarter. They offer discounts more often in the summer since people are out of school and preparing for fall courses.

But is stated you have to purchased a monthly subscription to be first paid. "*Offer valid with the purchase of a membership. Limit 1 redemption per person. $59 will be taken off the total price of the cart. Not valid for active students. Cannot be combined with other offers. Offer expires on 07/16/20 at 11:59pm EST."

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(07-16-2020, 06:38 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 05:46 PM)Merlin Wrote: You can purchase as many courses as you like but you don't have to begin them right away. In an extreme example of this, I purchased 3 courses in 2011 from Straighterline and didn't come back to finish them until 2018. They don't expire. As another example, I still have one course in my SL account from 2018 that I haven't started yet; I am considering switching it to Calculus to take it sometime in the next few months.

But is stated you have to purchased a monthly subscription to be first paid. "*Offer valid with the purchase of a membership. Limit 1 redemption per person. $59 will be taken off the total price of the cart. Not valid for active students. Cannot be combined with other offers. Offer expires on 07/16/20 at 11:59pm EST."

That is pretty much what I just said. You may need to have an existing membership (or in this case they want you to purchase it with a membership since it is a return to Straighterline promotion). That said, many of the promotions that want you to purchase a membership will also work if you already have a current membership too.

Either way, my point remains the same. If you already have plans to take courses right away (or you're already taking courses now) then it is a good deal and you can purchase a course and hold onto it for later. Otherwise, it isn't worthwhile since you'd have to buy a sub and the course.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • LongRoad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 82 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,634 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 367 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 665 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  conflicting info about TADA ending date any4yeardegree 12 885 09-20-2023, 11:36 AM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore