Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor, SL, Study.com
I am an adult who just started pursuing a degree though TESU. I attended some about a 2 semesters worth of college about 20 years ago. (still kicking myself for never finishing) I just started looking at the 1st course on Saylor English Composition and it says the course will take the average person 103 hours to complete. I am a full time employee working about 40-50 hours a week. Is this course really going to take 100 hours to complete? Is Study.com a better option than Saylor? Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks.
Which one you will prefer will depend on how much autonomy you prefer. Study.com will give you all the study materials, but you will have to go through them all and complete 80 to over 100 short quizzes. With Saylor, you don't have to go through the course materials. You can use whatever you prefer to study such as videos, flashcards, or textbooks on the subject. Saylor's English Comp course is not ACE or NCCRS-approved for college credit.

https://www.saylor.org/credit/
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Welcome!
I'm glad you asked, because the Saylor version of English Comp I does not give college credit.
Straighterline is perhaps a more manageable choice than either Saylor or Study.com.
Before we get to that, though, what credits do you already have (List as "HIS-101 Am History I 3," for 3 semester credits)? And even more importantly, what is your degree goal?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Here's the Straighterline course equivalency list:
Thomas Edison State University Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Welcome!
I'm glad you asked, because the Saylor version of English Comp I does not give college credit.
Straighterline is perhaps a more manageable choice than either Saylor or Study.com.
Before we get to that, though, what credits do you already have (List as "HIS-101 Am History I 3," for 3 semester credits)? And even more importantly, what is your degree goal?

Wow great feedback and quick response. I am going to like this site Smile.

I am pursuing a BSBA in Computer Information Systems. I'm probably going to pursue ASBA as well that way I can atleast have that while I finish my BSBA. I'm still waiting for TESU to recieve and review my transcript to see how many credits I have. I don't suspect they will give me much. I'm hoping 9-12 credits at least.

So it sounds like people here prefer Straighterline to study.com. Study.com seems to cost less. My goal is also to finish my degree as soon as possible since I'm already in my early 40s time isn't on my side.
(Psst. I'm older than you. As long as you see the shiny thing appearing in the sky, there's time! Just keep taking steps forward every. single. day.)

I tried a Straighterline history class...I hated it. Sitting through their presentations, plus reading a text? Way too slow for something that was just a gen-ed with nothing to do with my major. I'm using Study.com and MUCH prefer it...no textbooks, plus they make the transcripts available in addition to the video. Rather than sit through hours of video/audio lessons, I can quickly read the transcripts (which are highlighted with keywords, and include both a lesson summary and a lesson objectives section at the bottom for quick reference), take a 5-question quiz on that lesson, re-attempt quickly and easily, and move on. In addition, you can sit the final anytime, without scheduling in advance. I *really* love that, because our household schedule is so nutty.

Search this forum for threads about the Guardian Scholarship (with Study.com). If you were awarded that, you'd get six classes free (in a 3 month timeframe). Personally, I found this a much better (and cheaper) path for me than Straighterline.

Good luck! You've got this!

ETA - You may find, though, that Straighterline helps with some specific classes within your major - search the forum for specific classes, to read more. In my program, neither Study.com nor Straighterline offer my AOS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SolarKat's post:
  • Mab81
Vin Wrote:Wow great feedback and quick response. I am going to like this site Smile.

I am pursuing a BSBA in Computer Information Systems. I'm probably going to pursue ASBA as well that way I can atleast have that while I finish my BSBA. I'm still waiting for TESU to recieve and review my transcript to see how many credits I have. I don't suspect they will give me much. I'm hoping 9-12 credits at least.

So it sounds like people here prefer Straighterline to study.com. Study.com seems to cost less. My goal is also to finish my degree as soon as possible since I'm already in my early 40s time isn't on my side.

No just some people prefer SL to Study.com. It really depends on your learning style, I personally use both. Study.com uses a lot (almost all) videos while SL uses books for example. Saylor courses are very very long, but they do have some good ones (and new ones) for CIS that you should consider; if you are already in the field you will no doubt take less time then they suggest.

Personally I like RPNow vs ProtcorU for test taking so have been doing most of my classes from study.com, not having to schedule the final is awesome.
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
There are also some other options that don't require going to a testing site: TECEP exams, Davar Academy, the free TEEX cybersecurity series, ALEKS math, etc.

You should try to get ALEKS math done ASAP because the ACE recommendation is set to expire on 3/31/17. Take your time on the placement test and if you get 70% or above on it, you have finished. Request credit for it on ACE, then get go on to the next class you need.

For a TESU BA, you will need at least Intermediate Algebra. For a BSBA, you will need College Algebra and Stats. Go ahead and try Int Algebra too though, to use as general ed elective credits.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
If you've been writing as part of your career, I'd say that you should be able to finish a composition course (and others that require papers) faster than the average. I found that to be so in many of my courses, and I don't think of writing as a song suit at all.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I am ready to take the plunge and start my 1st course towards my BSBA in Computer Systems, English Composition I. Now I was never great at english or grammar so i figured using Straighterline would be my best option. I noticed there are two options for English Composition on SL. There is one that gives you some bonus features like 1. Prof. Office Hours 2. Discussion Forums and 3. Essay Help. These bonus features cost an extra $50. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,383 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,493 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,783 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 307 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 614 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 328 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,815 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 553 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue