Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straighterline to Grad school
Hi,

I'm currently studying at TESC, my degree is BSBA in international business. It looks like I will take a lot of classes through straighterline. I just want to know if that will effect my application to grad school when that time come.

Did any of you ever had that issue while applying to grad school.

I hope to hear some feedback.

Regards.
Timokito,

I have read that some grad schools would calculate your gpa from the last x number of credits but I am not sure how that would be impacted by Straighterline.

I do know that I took a lot of classes towards my BA from Straighterline and transferred in as many. I only took the capstone from TESC and got accepted to Northcentral's MBA program and Capella's Master's in Sports Psychology. Both with "just" my BA in Liberal Studies.

I expect it will vary depending on what grad school(s) you want to apply to.
B.A. Liberal Studies (Completed: 2015) - Thomas Edison State College
Can you get into a grad school with significant SL on your transcript? Of course you can!

Will you get into a specific program at a specific school? Depends on a lot of factors and SL could conceivably have a negative impact on that.

Is there a specific school/program your looking at? If so it may help to work backwards from their specific requirements and make sure you meet all prerequisites. Very competitive programs are ...very competitive... and little things can matter when seeking admission to them.

With all that said, I doubt there is a field out there that doesn't have a reputable school offering an advanced degree that SL would disqualify you from. WGU, Patten, TESC, COSC, EC, AMU/APU, all of these affer a variety of degree's and aren't going to care about an odd assortment of credits from SL and alternative sources (though they may have some requirements to see to).
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
timokito, is English your native language?

As others have described, SL credits should be no barrier to graduate school. A bigger concern should be meeting the TOEIC scores you need for admissions.
Outis Wrote:timokito, is English your native language?

As others have described, SL credits should be no barrier to graduate school. A bigger concern should be meeting the TOEIC scores you need for admissions.

Hi,

English is not my native language, My native language is French
While TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC etc are standard for almost all schools for admitting international students, there are exemptions.
For example, APU has this policy for exemptions from English language requirement (I don't know if SL English Composition qualifies):
- Students who have completed an English composition course with a grade of B- or higher at an accredited U.S. college

I am actually trying to compile a list of schools that have similar exemptions for international students. Any help is appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,281 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,033 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,065 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,756 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,317 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,480 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,427 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,636 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,094 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina