Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strayer University degree plan
Hello everyone! Recently I received an email from Sophia. Is it true that all courses will be free at Strayer university? I have a lot of credits earned via Sophia and taking other exams. All of them are listed on my ACE Transcript system account. I'm planning to take several upper level courses on Study.com as well. 
I was wondering if I could transfer all these credits to StrayerU after enrollment?  Angel And if so, would it be possible to graduate after finishing 6 courses at StrayerU, given that I have enough credits to graduate?
We're not really familiar with Strayer here because they're usually a pretty expensive option. But whether or not you can graduate with only 6 courses depends entirely on exactly what you're able to transfer in and where it falls on your degree plan.

https://www.strayer.edu/admissions/transfer-credits says that you can transfer in credits for up to 28 classes. It doesn't say how many classes a given degree requires but that's only about 84 credits out of the standard 120 needed for a bachelor's degree. So I think you'd need at least 12 classes instead of 6.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-03-2020, 12:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: We're not really familiar with Strayer here because they're usually a pretty expensive option. But whether or not you can graduate with only 6 courses depends entirely on exactly what you're able to transfer in and where it falls on your degree plan.

https://www.strayer.edu/admissions/transfer-credits says that you can transfer in credits for up to 28 classes. It doesn't say how many classes a given degree requires but that's only about 84 credits out of the standard 120 needed for a bachelor's degree. So I think you'd need at least 12 classes instead of 6.
Hi Rachel! Thank you so much for the reply! Do you think it could be possible to take 12 courses at one semester and to graduate?  Rolleyes
Honestly, it sounds like a bit much. I don't think that Strayer courses can be accelerated. What I would do would be to take as many courses as possible at Strayer and then look to transfer to TESU or COSC. Or you could go directly to a competency-based degree from somewhere like NAU or WGU and be more certain of being able to graduate in just one term.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-03-2020, 12:34 PM)Anar Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: We're not really familiar with Strayer here because they're usually a pretty expensive option. But whether or not you can graduate with only 6 courses depends entirely on exactly what you're able to transfer in and where it falls on your degree plan.

Hi Rachel! Thank you so much for the reply! Do you think it could be possible to take 12 courses at one semester and to graduate?  Rolleyes

Strayer's max credit load is 18 per term (without special approval & a minimum GPA) which is 4 courses. None of their courses can be accelerated, you're required to follow their schedules.

They also don't have a partnership w/ Study.com, so we don't know for certain if/how they accept those courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dbinghamjr's post:
  • rachel83az
It would be extraordinarily difficult, I think, to take 12 classes in one semester, but I've heard that they offer a number of challenge exams to get credit, so it might work if you can study enough for those in the next couple months and pass enough. I've not crunched the numbers to see if it would be reasonable to attempt, but it's a possibility
(11-03-2020, 01:13 PM)ylmir Wrote: It would be extraordinarily difficult, I think, to take 12 classes in one semester, but I've heard that they offer a number of challenge exams to get credit, so it might work if you can study enough for those in the next couple months and pass enough. I've not crunched the numbers to see if it would be reasonable to attempt, but it's a possibility
That's true! I forgot that they have challenge exams! So there is a real possibility to graduate with taking 6 challenge exams and 6 courses at Strayer?  Idea That would be wonderful, considering the fact that I'm broke atm  Shy
(11-03-2020, 12:19 PM)Anar Wrote: Hello everyone! Recently I received an email from Sophia. Is it true that all courses will be free at Strayer university? I have a lot of credits earned via Sophia and taking other exams. All of them are listed on my ACE Transcript system account. I'm planning to take several upper level courses on Study.com as well. 
I was wondering if I could transfer all these credits to StrayerU after enrollment?  Angel And if so, would it be possible to graduate after finishing 6 courses at StrayerU, given that I have enough credits to graduate?

No all courses aren't free at Strayer. Strayer accepts Sophia courses for transfer credit. As for completing a degree at Strayer, you will need to see what their residency requirements are and what degree program your courses fit into. I highly doubt you'll get away ith only needing to take 6 credits at Strayer.
(11-03-2020, 01:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:19 PM)Anar Wrote: Hello everyone! Recently I received an email from Sophia. Is it true that all courses will be free at Strayer university?

No all courses aren't free at Strayer.

There was an email from Sophia about a week ago that had an offer for the upcoming term at Strayer for tuition free.
some discussion about it https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Strayer-U

as always, read the fine print on offers to verify eligibility, etc.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(11-03-2020, 02:14 PM)P226mem Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 01:54 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:19 PM)Anar Wrote: Hello everyone! Recently I received an email from Sophia. Is it true that all courses will be free at Strayer university?

No all courses aren't free at Strayer.

There was an email from Sophia about a week ago that had an offer for the upcoming term at Strayer for tuition free.
some discussion about it https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-Strayer-U

as always, read the fine print on  offers to verify eligibility, etc.

There is all kinds of fine print. It doesn't say that all courses are free which is what the OP said in the initial post. It is for the Winter 2021 term only. The OP needs to complete 12 courses at Strayer. No way to do that in 1 term.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 64 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,653 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 177 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,524 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 196 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 618 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,070 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 237 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 244 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az