Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Struggling with College Algebra - Recommend a Tutor?
Onlinestudydeg is correct about the instructor, but I found the videos too plodding, and stopped after the first one. Leaflyer, all I can suggest is that you take your time on the assessments. I do stupid things like "losing" a negative sign, confusing my "2's" with my "z's," and just using incorrect ... what's the word I'm looking for? You know, the "x," or the "y," or the "z?" (Hey, cut me some slack. It's an early Sunday morning, after a late Saturday night!) Well, I'd put down something like "2+x" for the answer, and the answer should have been "2+z." That kind of stuff. If you're careful with your assessment, then you shouldn't have to revisit pieces of the pie.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I have been listening to an audio book about learning math and science that has some very good advice. Be sure to take regular breaks from your studying. Math is not a subject that should be rushed through. It takes both focused time studying and time away from studying for the concepts to stay in long term memory. If you are planning to complete the next level of math in Aleks, do not stop at 70%. This mistake cost me lots of time and money. I am now completing a full semester Trigonometry course because I didn't learn it well enough to be prepared for Calculus. Thankfully, every time I backtrack the concepts get easier.
[SIZE=3]
LaterBloomer Wrote:Just was looking up Aleks (I'm taking Beg. Alg. and some day hope to get to Col. Alg.) on the forum. (The ALEKS hell string, actually!), and came across your post, JohnnyHeck.. I think you may be jumping to the idea that someone is cheating too quickly. ALEKS is a weird duck, and I am not really learning anything. Rather, I'm a trained monkey. If I see this, I do that. I don't know krispy1120, and don't remember his/her posts, but s/he might have been wondering if having someone explain what ALEKS explains in a different way might be more helpful.

First let me clear up what is considered unethical when taking an ALEKS assessment that leads to college credit. From the ALEKS Users Guide: "What are the rules for taking an assessment in ALEKS?[Sec. 6] You must have paper and pencil when taking an assessment in ALEKS. A basic calculator should be used only when you are instructed to do so. A basic calculator may be provided for some questions. No help whatsoever is permitted, not even rephrasing a problem. (emphasis added)"

Now, as Jennifer has pointed out in another thread, there is nothing wrong with using additional learning materials when in the learning mode. However, I would like to point out that if these other explanations are just used to get the right answer on an ALEKS topic by topic basis without understanding, you will not do well in an assessment. Your progress will actually be hindered rather than shortened. If you find other learning modes outside of ALEKS better for you, by all means employ them to learn the material. Then use ALEKS to asses for college credit.

This is actually the method I am now employing with my previously math-phobic BSAST student. He is learning Stats outside of ALEKS and then will use ALEKS or some other venue to document his knowledge for college credit. By the way, this student took 240 hours to complete College Algebra even though he had taken Intermediate Algebra in a 2 semester sequence CC course 10 years ago. In hindsight, and this could be germane to your issue Late Bloomer, I now believe I should have started my student in ALEKS with Essential Mathematics (with QuickTables). I believe that since he never really understood the basics solidly, this is what hindered his progress unnecessarily. Since I keep my student off this forum, he is never under the impression that he is supposed to get everything done in 40 hours or less, his motivation is not unnecessarily depressed. I have started another math phobic student with Essentials, and she is just flying through the topics and reporting that math is now fun! At 100% completion, I believe she will be ready for College Algebra without tears.
[/SIZE]
LaterBloomer Wrote:Onlinestudydeg is correct about the instructor, but I found the videos too plodding, and stopped after the first one. Leaflyer, all I can suggest is that you take your time on the assessments. I do stupid things like "losing" a negative sign, confusing my "2's" with my "z's," and just using incorrect ... what's the word I'm looking for? You know, the "x," or the "y," or the "z?" (Hey, cut me some slack. It's an early Sunday morning, after a late Saturday night!) Well, I'd put down something like "2+x" for the answer, and the answer should have been "2+z." That kind of stuff. If you're careful with your assessment, then you shouldn't have to revisit pieces of the pie.

Good luck!

Thank you Bloomer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,181 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,927 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 389 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 205 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 245 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 210 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor