Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Student Loan Watchdog Quits, Blames Trump Administration
Student Loan Watchdog Quits, Blames Trump Administration: "The federal official in charge of protecting student borrowers from predatory lending practices has stepped down."

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/27/642199524...nistration
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Just end the student loan program completely. Private loans are much better as they won’t give you extra above and beyond tuition and require co-signers. It’ll eliminate the need for a nanny to oversee things.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • cookderosa
This watchdog group oversees predatory lending regulation violations for private lenders.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Just end the federal student loan program. It has created a huge mess and debt. A failure like everything else Government touches.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • Sapientes
really long, with footnotes - but a worthwhile read!!

I think, however, his resignation is a bad idea and a little whiney.

When has someone leaving ever resulted in a "better" program? He should know better that when an advocate, especially someone who is really in front of a movement, steps away, things crumble. It takes someone with a bee in his bonnet to make changes- if what he says is true, than by leaving, it will get worse - not better.

To know that and leave anyway is....? I don't know... best thing I can think of is that he's lame.
The root problem here is that schools have ballooned their costs to ungodly proportions, which then forces people to get loans to even go to school in the first place.

Which came first, the loans or the price hikes? Probably the loans. The loans came first, then the prices hiked to reflect the new supply, then more loans came out, then... you get the picture.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Thorne's post:
  • cookderosa, Sapientes
(08-28-2018, 12:08 PM)Thorne Wrote: The root problem here is that schools have ballooned their costs to ungodly proportions, which then forces people to get loans to even go to school in the first place.

Which came first, the loans or the price hikes? Probably the loans. The loans came first, then the prices hiked to reflect the new supply, then more loans came out, then... you get the picture.

A similar thing happened with healthcare and health insurance.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-28-2018, 12:08 PM)Thorne Wrote: The root problem here is that schools have ballooned their costs to ungodly proportions, which then forces people to get loans to even go to school in the first place.

This is true. While I'm not trying to be political, Obama wanted to make college more accessible to everyone through increased access to funds. We see an improved access to Pell Grants (gifted money that does not need to be repaid if you meet income requirements) the other part of the program included higher lending limits - essentially allowing colleges to go crazy. It's the housing bubble all over again.
I just pulled up the Federal Student Loan page- the borrowing limits are "$138,500 for graduate or professional students—No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate aggregate limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study."
So, as long as you keep rolling forward, you can borrow $138,500. Assuming it takes you exactly 6 years from day 1 of college until master's graduation, you've also accumulated a BOATLOAD of interest. Add in the grace period where no one repays anything, and now you're probably looking at $150k before you ever get started. Stretch that out for a few years if you're not yet working your dream job (thanks to the Obama "loan forgiveness" program) and you may or may not start repaying within the first few years post-MS. All of this assumes you actually graduated, which you aren't required to do.

Edit- I also forgot that the repayment programs were expanded, this is from 2016 and explains why paying back loans over a longer period of time costs more money (for those who haven't yet taken personal finance 101) https://money.cnn.com/2016/11/30/pf/coll...index.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supreme Court is primed to KEEP Trump on the Colorado ballot in blockbuster hearing LevelUP 5 769 03-06-2024, 09:47 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New York Governor Kathy Hochul admits that the $355 million Trump verdict was a sham LevelUP 11 1,230 02-23-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Chainsaw Trump wins Argentina presidential election in landslide LevelUP 11 900 02-21-2024, 12:28 AM
Last Post: housecat
  Trump drops $399 branded golden sneakers at Sneaker Con LevelUP 1 403 02-18-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Music Trump Get Impeached Twice, Kanye West and Taylor Swift. We Didn't Start the Fire. LevelUP 1 490 07-17-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: P226mem
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,556 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.Com student or teacher login? acamp 6 756 03-29-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: acamp
  ACE 2022 Student of The Year ashkir 0 600 12-19-2022, 06:26 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Student Loan Forgiveness Application is Live ashkir 0 5,295 10-14-2022, 10:25 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  National Transfer Student Week Alpha 0 443 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Alpha