Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com C programming Review
@awardtour Also Saylor no longer transfers as UL since TESU decided to downgrade the course (if only I could turn back the hands of time and do the software engineering!)

The UL Options I know aside from SDC are from CSU global CBE.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

[-] The following 1 user Likes armstrongsubero's post:
  • AwardTour
Bah, I replied to the comments in the new CS courses thread before I saw this one. I added my own quasi-review of the C programming course there. I'm not going to retype it, so check there, or click here for a redirect if you're interested.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I just got my final assignment marked. I got 60/100.

This is what my marker had to say:

Total Points: 60/100

Grader Notes:
·         Your code seems to have a solid foundation, but it cannot be run in practice. Aside from the order 9 (exit), entering any other command results in an error. While this may seem like a result of bad coding, it more seems to be a result of inefficient code that doesn’t really adhere to best practices.
·         It is difficult to load any data into your program as the ‘’read from file’’ function seems to have some difficulties and this results in the inability of the end user to use most of the functions. Some points were awarded as the print function seems to have good coding.
·         The comments are solid and clearly definable for the user.

She says my code does not "run in practice", which is strange cause I tested it a million times, I'll attach an image of my code running. She says any other command results in error, not true, here I am cycling through each menu item. Angry

how does she mean some difficulties reading and writing !? It reads and writes PERFECTLY to "mylist.txt" I'll attach that as well. I even used Dev C++ they recommend to use instead of CLion like I usually use for work (well I also use Atollic True Studio and MPLAB X these days).

So which is it is my code inefficient or does it not run? Did she even try to compile it? or did she just look at the rubric.

I may have been penalized for that global pointer for the head though, is that what she means by best practice?

My print function was the simplest, maybe it was the only one she could follow?  I don't know whats going on here but it isn't going to stop me.

Based on that score I'm looking at an 80s finish. I don't care if I even get 70. I don't mind as long as I get my three credits, I'm not going to argue with them.

I don't know what they were looking for.

Attached Files
.png   program_running.png (Size: 25.48 KB / Downloads: 24)
.png   output.png (Size: 34.26 KB / Downloads: 22)
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(10-28-2018, 02:47 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: I just got my final assignment marked. I got 60/100.

This is what my marker had to say:

Total Points: 60/100

Grader Notes:
·         Your code seems to have a solid foundation, but it cannot be run in practice. Aside from the order 9 (exit), entering any other command results in an error. While this may seem like a result of bad coding, it more seems to be a result of inefficient code that doesn’t really adhere to best practices.
·         It is difficult to load any data into your program as the ‘’read from file’’ function seems to have some difficulties and this results in the inability of the end user to use most of the functions. Some points were awarded as the print function seems to have good coding.
·         The comments are solid and clearly definable for the user.

She says my code does not "run in practice", which is strange cause I tested it a million times, I'll attach an image of my code running. She says any other command results in error, not true, here I am cycling through each menu item. Angry

how does she mean some difficulties reading and writing !? It reads and writes PERFECTLY to "mylist.txt" I'll attach that as well. I even used Dev C++ they recommend to use instead of CLion like I usually use for work (well I also use Atollic True Studio and MPLAB X these days).

So which is it is my code inefficient or does it not run? Did she even try to compile it? or did she just look at the rubric.

I may have been penalized for that global pointer for the head though, is that what she means by best practice?

My print function was the simplest, maybe it was the only one she could follow?  I don't know whats going on here but it isn't going to stop me.

Based on that score I'm looking at an 80s finish. I don't care if I even get 70. I don't mind as long as I get my three credits, I'm not going to argue with them.

I don't know what they were looking for.

Hmmm, that's weird. I wonder how they tested your code. It had to have been compiled or they wouldn't have been able to get to where they could test that '9' worked. The comments are not flattering either.

I received my code review and it was the opposite of yours, but I used GCC/LLVM for my test compiler. I also used a single text file for my code (assignment.C), though I doubt you did differently. As long as you submitted standard C code, and included the proper headers, it shouldn't really matter what compiler you use as long as it is standards compliant. There are a few that have some weird requirements though. Maybe you should test it in another environment and see if it throws any errors or warnings that didn't come up for you. Since DevC++ is mainly a C++ compiler, it may be compiling the code in C++ mode and not C mode and that could mask things.

You can always fix it and resubmit if you like, though given your overall score will be over 70% either way, it isn't really that important. Those comments would bug me though, so I'd fix it out of spite! Smile

In my review, the reviewer commented that I missed top marks because of the following:
  • They didn't like that I used an alphabetic menu, I used choices like "(P)rint" instead of "1. Print" which they felt was cumbersome. Personally, I prefer alphabetic menus so its a matter of taste. So I added support for both. Smile
  • They harped a bit on my lack of detailed comments ("this reduces the readability of the code"), but I documented all the complex stuff. I just didn't document every variable declaration and variable update. Anyone who knows C would have been happy with the level of documentation and comments that were in place. More comments would only really help someone who doesn't already know what they are doing.
  • They also mentioned the input could have been more efficient as well, which I find interesting since it follows the rubric exactly. That is easily remedied though.
In any case, I just made a few changes to the code and resubmitted it as an update because I could and I have a week free before my Capstone starts. I don't need the extra few points I should get since I scored in the 90's in the first round, but I felt like I needed to do so as a point of honor. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Sapientes
They do bug me!

Who marked your assignment?

Oh now looking there is no name. Hmmm.

I just want my three credits, bit this is the first time I had a negative marking experience on an exam, especially since I just got an A on my Capstone! The course I was most nervous about.

I know my program works, her words are contradictory.

I'm not letting that get to me though, I'm going to focus on the SL C++ over the next week and Discrete math at Study.com.

Oh an I commented basically everything, like I'm commenting for a beginner to follow.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-28-2018, 08:12 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: They do bug me!

Who marked your assignment?

Oh now looking there is no name. Hmmm.

I just want my three credits, bit this is the first time I had a negative marking experience on an exam, especially since I just got an A on my Capstone! The course I was most nervous about.

I know my program works, her words are contradictory.

I'm not letting that get to me though, I'm going to focus on the SL C++ over the next week and Discrete math at Study.com.

Oh an I commented basically everything, like I'm commenting for a beginner to follow.

Yeah, there is no grade so it doesn't matter. It isn't worth worrying about as long as you pass. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my code, so I felt like I needed to respond. Doubly so since I've been developing my own code and mentoring other programmers for a long time so I'm well versed in what is really expected in real-world code. Smile

Speaking of capstones, the BSBA capstone is what I'm worried about now. Well, doing them doesn't bother me, but I need to know how to format the Case Study analyses. I have my own ideas of how they could be done, but given they are answering specific questions, it seems like they will have to be in some kind of Q&A format, even though I've been told that isn't the case. I was hoping I could find an example to use as a guide but that doesn't seem to be provided. I know they change the cases and questions each term so maybe I can find someone who did this course in the past who could share one or walk me through the proper way to do it.

I'm hoping they post up the new syllabus with cases, case questions, and discussion questions soon. I need to start working on those ASAP in order to work ahead. Given the course runs through Thanksgiving and Christmas things will be rough during those weeks. Between traveling and relatives being around all the time I am worried that I won't have time to focus on schoolwork. If I can get it done and submitted ahead of time, I can just pop on to submit the pre-written discussion questions and answer a few other questions.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
I have made a living writing embedded C and C++ code professionally, I even published a book with Apress that has a large reach and only had one negative review, so I'm not going to let that bother me. I don't have to prove myself to anyone anymore, and I learned not to take graders on. It does feel a bit bad since all my hobby work, I do with C and it was the first language I learned. It is my favorite language.

One of my friends here was at a local university studying Computer Engineering. In his first programming style his professor told him "his coding style is poor, this isn't the major for you" and failed him. His parents then sent him to study in the US at FIT and he graduated Summa Cum Laude went on to work at Microsoft and Apple, went on to get citizenship and now works with the DoD in the US and is totally off grid on social media, I don't even know where exactly he works now and what he does. I wonder what the professor is doing?

Well for our Capstone, someone asked for past examples and the Prof. posted it. So you can ask the Prof for an example and keep your fingers crossed!

Don't worry though, it you are able to basically teach yourself for a degree then you can surely pass that course. The thing is after you got accustomed to passing a course in a few days, it seems to take forever to finish the Capstone! you'll be amazed at how much time you actually have!
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(10-28-2018, 08:02 PM)Merlin Wrote: In my review, the reviewer commented that I missed top marks because of the following:
  • They didn't like that I used an alphabetic menu, I used choices like "(P)rint" instead of "1. Print" which they felt was cumbersome. Personally, I prefer alphabetic menus so its a matter of taste. So I added support for both. Smile
  • They harped a bit on my lack of detailed comments ("this reduces the readability of the code"), but I documented all the complex stuff. I just didn't document every variable declaration and variable update. 

that's your problem right there 
you should have done this 

/********************
(P)rint 
this menu choice is for printing 
********************/
(10-28-2018, 11:12 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 08:02 PM)Merlin Wrote: In my review, the reviewer commented that I missed top marks because of the following:
  • They harped a bit on my lack of detailed comments ("this reduces the readability of the code"), but I documented all the complex stuff. I just didn't document every variable declaration and variable update. 

that's your problem right there 
you should have done this 

/********************
(P)rint 
this menu choice is for printing 
********************/

Hehe! I didn't document anything that was self-documented, so yeah... maybe so. Smile

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(10-26-2018, 11:31 AM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Yes all quizzes and exams were still multiple choice.
There is still a multiple choice final.

I think a human will check the final code. Since it is menu based they wont know what numbers or characters you use on the menu and which selection of the menu gives which function and they also dint request any specific funtion names. I think they will run plagarism checker though.

Its a fairly complex program, its a linked list and stack in one with a menu to add and delete items, save the result to a text file, read that file back and add it to the linked list. The linked list and stack example they provide is more complex than writing your own, though if you never used C how would you write your own?

In fact the final example with linked list and stack they provide does not compile if you copy and paste.

I understand their logic. Its easy to guess or half-ass your way through a multiple choice exam, but the final assignment is where you are put to the test.

If you take a month or so and learn C you'll be fine. If you never did programming I wont advise it. Probably do something without pointers Java or Python maybe? People also had success with SL C++ but this demands programming throughout the course so it would teach you.

Thanks for your response! After seeing your latest posts, it looks like a human does go through and manually check these program submissions.

Just one more question -- How does the program fit into the course grading scheme? i.e. what percent of the overall course score is it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 173 10 hours ago
Last Post: jch
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,500 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,634 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,343 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 765 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 374 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,625 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,047 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,088 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,923 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly