Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Data Structures Review
Yeah, I think you have it right. That's what it says. The first step also adds onto the 2D array to the capital portion if you created a 2D array already with empty capital spots or I feel you could just create a 2D array. Either or it sounds like. Also, don't forget to add the case sensitive portion (python uses casefold() or lower(), but whatever language u need to do it with).
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(02-14-2020, 09:08 PM)JayAllDay Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 06:18 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Just finished the data structures with study.com and I am amazed with the quality abd amount of information. I really liked it, it wasnt too easy but an awesome course overall and I highly recommed it. As soon as they are finsihed reviewing the video and giving my score for the assignment I'll be done! Thank you study.com for intro to programming and data structures as soon as TESU accepts them I'll be done with my CS degree.

Hey, I know this thread is a little older but I'm trying to get a little bit of clarification on the assignment. 

I emailed SDC and even used one of my "ask a tutor" questions and still haven't heard back.

Please tell me if I'm interpreting the first part correctly...

Develop a program that asks the user to enter a capital for a U.S. state. Upon receiving the user input, the program reports whether the user input is correct. For this application, the 50 states and their capitals are stored in a two-dimensional array in order by state name. Display the current contents of the array then use a bubble sort to sort the content by capital. Next, prompt the user to enter answers for all the state capitals and then display the total correct count. The user's answer is not case-sensitive.

1. The user is to enter the capital for each state (50 prompts)

2. Print out the content of the array, in other words, all the states and their capitals (50)

3. Bubble sort array by capital

4. User to enter answers for all capitals (50 prompts)

5. Display how many answers user got correct 

It sounds like the 2d array with the capitals is static data that is pre-entered, not prompted, but the rest seems right. I was going to call out the case insensitive string comparison requirement, but MrBossman already noted that.

This sounds like a pretty straight forward data structure/algorithm question. Out of curiosity, is this the only problem to solve, or are there others? I need to bone up on some of my old school DS&A fundamentals and I am considering picking up some of these new CS courses at SDC for some extra credits. Might come in handy if I ever decide to go back for a CS degree or something.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • JayAllDay, MrBossmanJr
Oh wait, you're right. I originally thought the same thing and typed a response but then I reread his post and it threw me off. The array should be the first thing created with both states and capitals placed in the 2D format ( (Pennsylvania, Harrisburg), (New York, Albany), (New Jersey, Trenton), ... ). Ignore my previous post. Merlin is right.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(02-15-2020, 03:58 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-14-2020, 09:08 PM)JayAllDay Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 06:18 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Just finished the data structures with study.com and I am amazed with the quality abd amount of information. I really liked it, it wasnt too easy but an awesome course overall and I highly recommed it. As soon as they are finsihed reviewing the video and giving my score for the assignment I'll be done! Thank you study.com for intro to programming and data structures as soon as TESU accepts them I'll be done with my CS degree.

Hey, I know this thread is a little older but I'm trying to get a little bit of clarification on the assignment. 

I emailed SDC and even used one of my "ask a tutor" questions and still haven't heard back.

Please tell me if I'm interpreting the first part correctly...

Develop a program that asks the user to enter a capital for a U.S. state. Upon receiving the user input, the program reports whether the user input is correct. For this application, the 50 states and their capitals are stored in a two-dimensional array in order by state name. Display the current contents of the array then use a bubble sort to sort the content by capital. Next, prompt the user to enter answers for all the state capitals and then display the total correct count. The user's answer is not case-sensitive.

1. The user is to enter the capital for each state (50 prompts)

2. Print out the content of the array, in other words, all the states and their capitals (50)

3. Bubble sort array by capital

4. User to enter answers for all capitals (50 prompts)

5. Display how many answers user got correct 

It sounds like the 2d array with the capitals is static data that is pre-entered, not prompted, but the rest seems right. I was going to call out the case insensitive string comparison requirement, but MrBossman already noted that.

This sounds like a pretty straight forward data structure/algorithm question. Out of curiosity, is this the only problem to solve, or are there others? I need to bone up on some of my old school DS&A fundamentals and I am considering picking up some of these new CS courses at SDC for some extra credits. Might come in handy if I ever decide to go back for a CS degree or something.

Thanks Merlin. Yeah I also understood it to be that all the data is pre entered, the part that was kind of not clear was whether you need to  ask the user 50 times to 'enter a capital for a state'.

There is a second part to solve. The actual programming for their assignments is not hard, they're just poorly worded in my opinion, and unfortunately when you submit an assignment, the feedback they give is very generic, for example "Program does not meet specifications". They have a "ask the tutor" feature but that is equally poor.
I know this is an older thread but does anyone know if the practice final is in line with the actual final with respect to content and difficulty ?
(03-10-2021, 06:55 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I know this is an older thread but does anyone know if the practice final is in line with the actual final with respect to content and difficulty ?

I didn’t take the practice final so I can’t answer your question specifically. I can tell you that I was well prepared from the quizzes and easily passed the course. If you are passing the practice exam I have no doubt you will pass the final.
(03-11-2021, 06:10 PM)tallpilot Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 06:55 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I know this is an older thread but does anyone know if the practice final is in line with the actual final with respect to content and difficulty ?

I didn’t take the practice final so I can’t answer your question specifically. I can tell you that I was well prepared from the quizzes and easily passed the course. If you are passing the practice exam I have no doubt you will pass the final.

This is one of the UL courses I have to finish at TESU.  I've recently found out about Study.com and how you can transfer courses (wish I would have known years ago). I completed my Associates by taking 3-month classes.  Could have saved much time (money if it wasnt my employer paying for it).  

I've finished 3 SDC lower level courses so far this month and looking to finish up with 2 more.  I need to finish two more General Education Electives and looking to find two that I cant get through pretty quick.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Raftingdon2 - it may have been better to have created a new thread - it's going to be hard to advise you of any easy/fast Study.com course as we don't know exactly what you have completed and what is remaining. Furthermore, we don't know what courses you have taken and have in the "other" field listed below your evaluation.  I just looked at a previous post with a picture attachment, I assume you're referring to General Education courses that can fit here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid301781

You can quickly check Study.com for equivalency guide here: https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html but if I was in your shoes - I would just finish what you currently have with Study.com and take two courses from Sophia.org that don't duplicate your credits at $79/month instead.  If not, I would recommend you the TEEX Death Investigation for $75 and the CSM Learn course at $39.  All of these can be done cheap/easy/fast and I suggest you invest in a second monitor for multi-tasking (I use a laptop with a second monitor, I get so much more done easier that way).
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 6 156 1 hour ago
Last Post: jch
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 771 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,488 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,631 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,299 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 764 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 370 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Review: Coursera Google UX Design Certificate nyjosh 4 2,619 02-26-2024, 04:30 AM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,044 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,083 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares