Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SDC 306 - Computer Architecture
I think I may start on it this week. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I showed the assignment to an actual computer engineer who did The Real Thing at university and who still does similar stuff for a living. They are also confused by the assignment but promised me tutoring assistance when needed. So, we'll see how it goes...
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I've been struggling with this class for the past few weeks and am unsure how to get over this hump with it. I am currently in my capstone course at TESU and this is the last course I need to finish my BS, but it feels kind of hopeless.

I've taken most of my courses through study.com and have always been able to figure the tests/projects out(if just barely), but this one seems impossible. I did C++ and data structures and algorithms (the two most difficult courses for me so far) and even those courses didn't take more than two or three weeks. I'm on week four of this course (passed the final) and am still struggling with the project.

Has anyone compiled a list of resources or references for this course? I have a handful of youtube videos but am curious if anyone has their old sources lying around from this project.

If I make it through this project I will make an annotated bibliography on google docs for anyone in the future so they are able to get through this easier. I may just find a pdf of thr textbook from earlier in this thread and go through it too see if that helps.
(07-28-2021, 06:00 PM)-BlackGold- Wrote: I've been struggling with this class for the past few weeks and am unsure how to get over this hump with it. I am currently in my capstone course at TESU and this is the last course I need to finish my BS, but it feels kind of hopeless.

I've taken most of my courses through study.com and have always been able to figure the tests/projects out(if just barely), but this one seems impossible. I did C++ and data structures and algorithms (the two most difficult courses for me so far) and even those courses didn't take more than two or three weeks. I'm on week four of this course (passed the final) and am still struggling with the project.

Has anyone compiled a list of resources or references for this course? I have a handful of youtube videos but am curious if anyone has their old sources lying around from this project.

If I make it through this project I will make an annotated bibliography on google docs for anyone in the future so they are able to get through this easier. I may just find a pdf of thr textbook from earlier in this thread and go through it too see if that helps.

It isn’t hopeless! I have been asked for my sources for the project in the past. That is obviously cheating and I decline those requests.

As Rachael pointed out the requirements for the assignment are ambiguous. I found the grading lenient. But I spent an entire weekend on it. I spent an average of 2 hours on the other SDC assignments I did.

So there is no doubt this is the hardest CS course on SDC and the courseware is wholly inadequate to prepare you for it. Please mention that in the post course evaluation but don’t give up. This course absolutely needs to be improved.

YouTube Logisim circuits to follow the rubric. Figure out how Logisim works and you will learn far more than you did in any other SDC course. Stuff you probably should know if you are going to develop software for a living.

For the assembly code, it does not specify a real language. So make up an easy one and comment extensively so the grader can follow your logic. If you can’t figure out how to use registers to add two numbers you aren’t ready to get credit for architecture and shouldn’t.

It’s harder than anything you have done and is a right of passage but it is not impossible. Do not give up.
(07-29-2021, 03:59 PM)tallpilot Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 06:00 PM)-BlackGold- Wrote: I've been struggling with this class for the past few weeks and am unsure how to get over this hump with it. I am currently in my capstone course at TESU and this is the last course I need to finish my BS, but it feels kind of hopeless.

It isn’t hopeless! I have been asked for my sources for the project in the past. That is obviously cheating and I decline those requests.

As Rachael pointed out the requirements for the assignment are ambiguous. I found the grading lenient. But I spent an entire weekend on it. I spent an average of 2 hours on the other SDC assignments I did.

So there is no doubt this is the hardest CS course on SDC and the courseware is wholly inadequate to prepare you for it. Please mention that in the post course evaluation but don’t give up. This course absolutely needs to be improved.

YouTube Logisim circuits to follow the rubric. Figure out how Logisim works and you will learn far more than you did in any other SDC course. Stuff you probably should know if you are going to develop software for a living.

For the assembly code, it does not specify a real language. So make up an easy one and comment extensively so the grader can follow your logic. If you can’t figure out how to use registers to add two numbers you aren’t ready to get credit for architecture and shouldn’t.

It’s harder than anything you have done and is a right of passage but it is not impossible. Do not give up.
Thank you for the words of encouragement! I have been pretty busy with my capstone recently but I have been able to work on this project this week and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

YouTube has definitely been the best resource so far and I've gotten the ALU mostly complete (just need to add a few more functions).

Working on this project more has given me a better understanding of why this project, in particular, has gotten to me-- most other courses give you decent starting points to jump off of and allow you to continue to explore the subject while this course really just leaves you high and dry. A lot of the course information is incredibly basic stuff that was covered in other classes but the course still requires a level of competency that can really only be acquired from putting in an amount of work that is seemingly equivalent to that of a more traditional class.

but like you said

Quote:Figure out how Logisim works and you will learn far more than you did in any other SDC course. Stuff you probably should know if you are going to develop software for a living.

I've definitely felt that with other my classes I've learned enough (through the course itself + my addition research) to have a working knowledge of the subject while this course has left me feeling everything but that. I suppose that just means I need to put in some more work in my free time, but I feel in retrospect that I would have preferred to take this course in a more traditional route lol. Hopefully I will have it finished by the end of next week!
(08-13-2021, 04:48 AM)-BlackGold- Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 03:59 PM)tallpilot Wrote:

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I have been pretty busy with my capstone recently but I have been able to work on this project this week and am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

YouTube has definitely been the best resource so far and I've gotten the ALU mostly complete (just need to add a few more functions).

Working on this project more has given me a better understanding of why this project, in particular, has gotten to me-- most other courses give you decent starting points to jump off of and allow you to continue to explore the subject while this course really just leaves you high and dry. A lot of the course information is incredibly basic stuff that was covered in other classes but the course still requires a level of competency that can really only be acquired from putting in an amount of work that is seemingly equivalent to that of a more traditional class.

but like you said

Quote:Figure out how Logisim works and you will learn far more than you did in any other SDC course. Stuff you probably should know if you are going to develop software for a living.

I've definitely felt that with other my classes I've learned enough (through the course itself + my addition research) to have a working knowledge of the subject while this course has left me feeling everything but that. I suppose that just means I need to put in some more work in my free time, but I feel in retrospect that I would have preferred to take this course in a more traditional route lol. Hopefully I will have it finished by the end of next week!

I am very glad you feel that way. I am in complete agreement with everyone who feels the course content is completely inadequate and I hope they fix it.

I will resist with every fiber of my being those who wish to share solutions and make the course a joke. Either earn a real degree or be content with the worthless BALS most people on this board prefer.

I hate to be so absolute but the PMs I've received about the course basically say "I don't have time for this, please just tell me the answers." I didn't have time for it either but instead of giving up or cheating I found the time and figured it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Speedrunning SDC Data Structures and Computer Architecture advice? Randyb100 15 721 04-09-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Computer Architecture Questions ACI 4 879 03-18-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,581 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,726 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
  Anyone recently take CS402: Computer Communications and Networks yellow_gambit 7 1,954 04-15-2022, 11:20 PM
Last Post: pajakuta
  URGENT! SDC computer architecture project : part 4 Bobbym 23 3,111 12-27-2021, 09:43 PM
  Question about COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment exxxius 17 3,056 12-19-2021, 01:23 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  study.com computer architecture assignment help maxxor6868 9 2,968 10-25-2021, 10:17 AM
  Help on COS 306 Computer Architecture Study.com Final assignment StudentOLife 7 1,984 09-05-2021, 07:40 PM
Last Post: jsarles
  Computer Science 201 | Data Structures & Algorithms akr680 2 1,532 08-31-2021, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Pats20