Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com Questions
I haven't taken any Study.com courses yet, but had a couple questions as I plan the timeline of when I will take those courses in relation to my others:

First of all, is it possible to have non-consecutive months of Study.com membership (e.g. cancel for a month and then renew again a month or two later) while keeping all of the courses you've already done? E.g. could I sign up for a month to knock out as many of my Study.com courses as possible, then cancel and work on my other courses for a month or two, then renew my Study.com subscription for another month or two to finish my Study.com courses?

Second, how are Study.com courses graded? How many assignments does a typical course have? Are they written assignments, multiple-choice assessments, etc.?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Yeah you can come back to your classes and maintain your progress. So all the SDC courses have multiple choice quizzes and a multiple choice final. The quizzes are all super quick and easy. Only some courses have any extra assignments beyond that. Generally the English composition or any of the UL courses will have additional assignments. Usually just a few written papers.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • kietro, mysonx3
You can look at each course to see how many lessons there are (I'd say less than 80 is short, 80-120 is medium, 120+ is long), and if there's a pre-test available, which can shorten a course. You can also look at the syllabus of a course to see if there are any extra assignments to be completed (look at the list of lessons, scroll down, and see if it says "Required Assignments" as the last or second-to-last lesson).

They also have that amazing ability to overlap courses, so that if you take a course that has lessons that apply to other courses, then it can "clear" part of the other course too. As an example, if you take Western Civ II, it's going to cover some of the material from US History II, plus several other history courses. If a course has a LL and an UL version, that will also make it easier to get through the 2nd one more quickly. An example: HIS 106: The Civil War & Reconstruction and HIS 306: The American Civil War Era - which would both have overlap with US History I, plus others.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • kietro, mysonx3
What MNomadic said. Just a few additional thoughts about my brief and recent, but pretty immersive, Study.com experience...

I signed up for a month and got through 9 courses (just under the wire). It worked out great. I was planning to “pause” my account for a month and then resume, but I think I won’t need to.

Many of the quizzes were quick and easy for me... but not all of them. In particular, Statistics 101. (I’m terrible at math.) The final, however, ended up being 70-ish% vocab, though. Whew.

For courses without assignments, if you get 100% on all the quizzes, you only need 55% on the final to pass the course. Most quizzes are 5 questions long. You can attempt each quiz as many times as you’d like; however, the best score out of your first 3 attempts is what counts toward your grade.

There’s no reason not to ace the quizzes, because—at least in all the courses I took—if you need it, there is a link to see the correct answers! (This is true of the website, but maybe not for the mobile app.)

As I learned from others on this forum, there’s a fair amount of overlap in lessons among some Study.com courses. If you complete the quiz for a lesson while taking one course, you don’t need to take the quiz again for another course that contains the same lesson.

For me, one of the biggest time-savers was watching the videos at 1.5x or sometimes even 2.0x speed on the site. (I wish the iOS app offered speed controls.) Or sometimes I would skip the video and just skim the transcript, which appears on the page below each video. Usually, the key terms and concepts from the lessons are bolded in the transcripts.

Three of my Study.com courses were upper-level. I picked ones that had just 1 assignment each (a 1,200- to 1,500-word paper, a 1,500- to 1,800-word paper, and a 10- to 15-slide PPT). I was happy that I was able to avoid multi-assignment courses!

Sorry if this is too much info, or if you already knew this stuff. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, while I was writing this, dfrecore replied and covered some of this same stuff, but, like, way more knowledgeably and articulately. But hopefully I still get a Participation Award?
[-] The following 4 users Like kietro's post:
  • dfrecore, katelynn, mysonx3, shadowgem
Your info was good too kietro - I only took 2 LL courses there, so I'm no expert.

Just an FYI, I don't think I watched a single video for either of my courses, I was 100% into reading the transcripts. But that's just because of my study style - if I read and take notes, I do better than if I listen and take notes - seeing something in print makes me remember better. It is really nice to have both options there though, because not everyone learns the same way I do.

Also, it was very nice to have smaller bite-sized lessons to cover instead of chapters. I will admit at first that seeing "147 lessons" is daunting, but once you start, and can knock out multiple lessons in a single sitting, it starts to get easier.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • kietro
It’s great that Study.com’s format accommodates different learning styles. For some lessons, instead of watching the videos, I just listened to them (sometimes while doing other things).

I only took notes for one course, Principles of Statistics. And I took a lot of notes for that one. (By the way, it was dfrecore who suggested that I really learn the vocab for that course, which served me well during the final.)

Occasionally, I copied and pasted definitions or formulas from the transcripts into a doc. I found it helpful to have the ability to do that.

After a while, I kind of got hooked on making progress on the quizzes. Also, in some cases, it’ll say “147 lessons,” but then the last 10 or so at the end are just flashcards or assignment instructions, which helps cut the daunting total number down a little.

Plus, the course placement tests provide a great way to get “credit” for some quizzes (that is, if you know the content) without taking the lessons. Only some of the courses I took offered placement tests, but I always looked for them on the overview page when starting a new course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,279 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,471 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,609 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 600 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,810 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 549 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 277 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 680 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM