Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com experienced people
I'm having a hard time deciding between attending TESU and WGU.
Attending TESU is attractive to me because I would be able to get all my remaining credits through study.com and I really like how the classes are presented there.
I cant say if I'd prefer study.com to WGU because I just dont know how the material is presented at WGU.
So, for those that have done both, which do you find to be more approachable? Which method of instruction was better, in your opinion?
As an aside, do you think I'd be able to study for a class at WGU by using study.com videos? Does the content correspond well
I haven't done WGU yet, but I plan to. I have a degree from TESU and I'm working on one from COSC and I'll go ahead and tell you that you aren't going to be able to use Study.com to study for any of those classes, unless it's something really general like algebra. If you're doing something like Jane Austen or whatever, they're going to want you to learn specific things and present them a certain way and you're not gonna get that from someone else's material.

My advice for either school would be to do what you can in Study.com, transfer it in, and then do the courses you have to do at the institution itself using their own material.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • akr680
(10-28-2019, 04:01 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I haven't done WGU yet, but I plan to. I have a degree from TESU and I'm working on one from COSC and I'll go ahead and tell you that you aren't going to be able to use Study.com to study for any of those classes, unless it's something really general like algebra. If you're doing something like Jane Austen or whatever, they're going to want you to learn specific things and present them a certain way and you're not gonna get that from someone else's material.

My advice for either school would be to do what you can in Study.com, transfer it in, and then do the courses you have to do at the institution itself using their own material.

Do you like TESU or COSC?

My friend is considering to do BSBA Project management or Computer studies (BGS) from  COSC.

(10-28-2019, 12:08 PM)jakepg Wrote: I'm having a hard time deciding between attending TESU and WGU.
Attending TESU is attractive to me because I would be able to get all my remaining credits through study.com and I really like how the classes are presented there.
I cant say if I'd prefer study.com to WGU because I just dont know how the material is presented at WGU.
So, for those that have done both, which do you find to be more approachable? Which method of instruction was better, in your opinion?
As an aside, do you think I'd be able to study for a class at WGU by using study.com videos? Does the content correspond well

Try a couple of courses from WGU Academy and decide. You can get a flavor.
------------------

They both have their upsides. TESU is real slow to add credits to your transcript and you have to ask them the same thing 3 or 4 times sometimes. But they have a big selection of classes and subjects

COSC is a smaller range of possible degrees and they're more professional about some stuff. Faster at adding credits, they mail you a student ID card, etc. I think their online learning framework (Blackboard) is unnecessarily complicated and hard to navigate. I do like that they do 8 week terms though.

COSC is generally more money than TESU. Back when I did my degree with TESU, you could waive the Cornerstone course and that was a big plus. I'm not sure if you still can, but you can't at COSC.

So it's just whatever you like, basically. I got my degree from TESU and I would get 3 or 4 more from there if they'd let me, but they won't. So I'm gonna get one from COSC and then prob get one from WGU. So check back with me next summer and I'll be able to tell you more.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • akr680
(10-28-2019, 05:13 PM)akr680 Wrote:
Try a couple of courses from WGU Academy and decide. You can get a flavor.
WGU-A is not WGU - it's actually entirely SL courses.  So you won't get the flavor of WGU from WGU-A unless WGU is exactly like SL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680
The professionalism of COSC, the customer service, and the consistency also seems to be higher than I am currently experiencing from TESU. And 8 week terms are excellent if you would like to work at a faster pace. It's unfortunate they do not offer the same degree selection that TESU does.

You can no longer waive the cornerstone course at TESU unless you are completing a second degree, so I think COSC is going to come in cheaper by a bit with any degree path where you can test out of everything but the Cornerstone/Capstone Courses. Assuming you transfer in everything but the Cornerstone and Capstone courses, I think TESU will be the most expensive option for earning a first BA/BS degree for non-active military students. Even with the new Cornerstone/Information Literacy/Capstone Residency Requirement at Excelsior, it looks like Excelsior will still be less than TESU possibly. COSC or Excelsior may be more if you are enrolled for more than 1 term though. I was actually trying to compare current costs/time the other day, but not sure if I'm overlooking any fees. I'm not including the costs associated with any alternative credits since that can vary greatly depending on which sources of transfer credit you utilize.

COSC 
  • $50 application (can be waived with a current student referral)
  • $2514 tuition ($419 per credit hour for 6 credits)
  • $295 student service fee (per enrolled semester)
  • $75 technology fee (per enrolled semester)
  • $225 graduation fee
  • $3159 (SUBTOTAL before discounts)
  • $-315.90 (10% Partner Affiliation Discount (employer/sdc/sl/ect)
  • $2843.10 (TOTAL)
  • 16 weeks to 24 weeks max time to complete Cornerstone/Capstone (varies depending on degree)
Excelsior (Course Option 1 for partner affiliation and two trimesters)
  • $0 application (fee waived)
  • $6,120 tuition ($510 per credit hour for 12 credits)
  • $0 annual fee (using course based enrollment)
  • $0 enrollment fee (first year only)
  • $240 technology fees ($20 per credit hour)
  • $495 graduation fee
  • $6855 (SUBTOTAL)
  • -$1371 (20% off with Many Partner Affiliation Discounts)
  • $4749 (TOTAL)
Excelsior (Mutlisource Option 2 for partner affiliation)
  • $0 application (waived)
  • $3570 tuition ($510 per credit hour for 7 credits)
  • $0 annual fee ($495 if enrollment is more than 1 year)
  • $1095 (using multisource enrollment option)
  • $140 technology fees ($20 per credit hour)
  • $495 graduation fee
  • $5300 (SUBTOTAL/TOTAL)
TESU (non-military students)
  • $50 application
  • $2274 tuition ($379 per credit hour for 6 credits with SDC Parntership)
  • $2800 (residency waiver to allow earning less than 16 credits in residence)
  • $298 (graduation fee)
  • $5422 (TOTAL)
  • 12 weeks to 24 weeks max time to complete Information Literacy/Capstone

So cost wise it looks like if you transferred the max amount of courses prior to enrolling into WGU and could complete the remaining ~30 credits or so within 1 term, it would be fairly comparable to COSC and much less than TESU to complete.  While the course structure at WGU will probably be nothing like SDC, I would probably choose WGU over TESU. I think you may experience better advising and I like that you are assigned a mentor that will help you work at a pace that suits you. Also from what I understand you can graduate when you are done, as opposed to having to wait for whichever quarterly graduation cycle you fall into. I also like that their transfer policies are very clear and that your enrollment counselor will help you find alternative sources for missing credits before you are enrolled. But I would probably try to transfer in everything I could before enrolling just to make sure I would have a better chance of completing a degree in one term. Also if you really like the SDC format, you can use SDC to complete a lot of credits prior to enrolling with WGU.
[-] The following 3 users Like shadowgem's post:
  • akr680, bluebooger, jsh1138
Thanks for detailed information

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
------------------

Study.com will require significantly less studying, I would guess. It's ridiculously easy. You're limited to five exams per month, so it will take a few motnhs to knock out whatever you need to knock out unless you can use OnlineDegree,Saylor, Davar etc while you wait.

I competed 200 and 300 level Accounting courses at SDC in a few hours that took my dad a semester.
WGU will be the cheapest if you can do a single term. That may entail taking up to 90cr to transfer in, which will up the cost though, so it really depends.

I would say that it really depends on several factors:
1) what degree are you going for: WGU is limited, COSC is limited, TESU has MANY more degree choices
2) do you need ACBSP accreditation for a business degree - TESU and WGU have it, COSC and EC don't - it may not matter for most people though
3) how many credits are you bringing in? If you have a ton of GE's, you'll benefit more from the Big 3 - but that does NOT mean that WGU still won't be a better choice

The only way to know is to create degree plans for multiple schools to compare.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for all the info.

I noticed on TESU's website that if you dont apply for graduation within 12 months, you have to pay additional residency waiver fees.

If I feel like it will take me longer than 12 months, does that mean I should wait to apply to the school? Should I take courses at SDC first,  and then apply to TESU?

BTW, I'm going for business degree and I can see the transfer equivalencies on SDC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,340 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,596 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,428 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 737 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 359 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,902 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 586 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 310 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 731 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM