Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com personal finance -- what the heck?
Am I the only one who finds this lesson on bonds out of place in the chapter about interest rates? Theoretically it's about how interest rates affect bonds, but it assumes the reader knows all about how bonds work. The whole lesson might as well be in Russian. Why is this lesson two whole chapters before personal investing?? banghead
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
One of the...unusual...features of Study.com is that the lessons are written by myriad instructors. You'll see the tone changing suddenly, mid-chapter. You'll see classes with strings of lessons that repeat the same material over & over. I don't know how they chose the authors, nor how they chose each independent lesson, but the classes sometimes have a *very* "cobbled together kinda randomly" feel. You probably ran into an example of this.

You can work ahead - skip up to the personal investing chapter, say, and then go back to the one you mentioned. Or just quickly google something that's not well-explained. But the big picture advice is, plow through, keep taking those steps forward. You've got this!
Really, the only thing you need to know about bonds is that they have an inverse relationship with interest rates. If rates go up, bonds go down, and vice versa. You will probably never do a thing with bonds in your life.

It's kind of outdated, because most of us do a 401(k) or something like that, and if we're going to invest in mutual funds, yes there may be some bond funds in there, but we aren't going to track them at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Really, the only thing you need to know about bonds is that they have an inverse relationship with interest rates. If rates go up, bonds go down, and vice versa. You will probably never do a thing with bonds in your life.

It's kind of outdated, because most of us do a 401(k) or something like that, and if we're going to invest in mutual funds, yes there may be some bond funds in there, but we aren't going to track them at all.

There were maybe 2 questions max about bonds on my exam (last night). I imagine each exam is subtly different but I also wouldn't advise you worry too much about bonds. A lot of PersFi is fundamental really, so pass the quizzes as best you can and then factor in the quiz score with the weight of the final....I only needed 59% on my final based on quiz score....

You'll do great!
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing
Woohoo! Just finished the final. 96% on quizzes and 88/100 on the final (I assume that's a straight 88%), so unless I totally screwed up my proctoring stuff, I should be good to go.
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

a2jc4life Wrote:Woohoo! Just finished the final. 96% on quizzes and 88/100 on the final (I assume that's a straight 88%), so unless I totally screwed up my proctoring stuff, I should be good to go.

Congrats a2jc4life!

68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month

November 2016
March 2017
Institutes - Ethics
April 2017
May 2017
Are you doing World Religions through Study.com? How is it? (It's next on my list after American Government.)

Can I safely "unenroll" from Personal Finance as soon as I'm done? That just takes it off the dashboard, right; it doesn't do anything to my progress or my grades?
-Rachel

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred

a2jc4life Wrote:Are you doing World Religions through Study.com? How is it? (It's next on my list after American Government.)

Can I safely "unenroll" from Personal Finance as soon as I'm done? That just takes it off the dashboard, right; it doesn't do anything to my progress or my grades?

Yes, and, I believe, Yes. Taking World Religions (should be done and testing by tomorrow afternoon) I'm rescheduling the A&I Clep to accommodate.
Starting Sociology Saturday night with hopes of finishing and testing by Monday evening, and then Digi Markting (to test by Thursday - last day of my first paid months membership).
Then in May I'll use my newfound wisdoms to layout my course study schedule a bit better. I still intend to take 5 tests per month but I'll allocate my study hours more efficiently since I literally hate trying to study immediately after I get off work.

I'm also taking notes on the Bus 421 Part 1 ...I actually enjoy reading that one and hope to start re-reading it from page 1 (part of study habits) by June.

Once your exam is submitted you should be able to manipulate your dashboard in any which way you see fit. Would be a terrible set up if un-enrolling AFTER you take the exam cancels out your testing.

68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month

November 2016
March 2017
Institutes - Ethics
April 2017
May 2017
Just curious, why would anyone unenroll in the course after taking the exam? I left all of mine up so I could go back later and compare scores. Plus it takes a few days for the course to go from pending to complete. Does it disappear from the dashboard once you unenroll? Can you tell if they gave you credit even if you are unenrolled? One of the reasons I am asking is because I had an issue with the personal finance course when I started. They only recorded my exam score and didn't include in my quiz scores. I had to email them and ask about it. I still had a pass on the course and it showed up on my ACE transcript but I'm wondering if I would have known about it if I had deleted it from my dashboard somehow. Just a thought - not questioning if this is how some do it, just never knew it was an option or why one would select it.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:Just curious, why would anyone unenroll in the course after taking the exam? I left all of mine up so I could go back later and compare scores. Plus it takes a few days for the course to go from pending to complete. Does it disappear from the dashboard once you unenroll? Can you tell if they gave you credit even if you are unenrolled? One of the reasons I am asking is because I had an issue with the personal finance course when I started. They only recorded my exam score and didn't include in my quiz scores. I had to email them and ask about it. I still had a pass on the course and it showed up on my ACE transcript but I'm wondering if I would have known about it if I had deleted it from my dashboard somehow. Just a thought - not questioning if this is how some do it, just never knew it was an option or why one would select it.

You make a good point but I'd delete mine just to clear up the "clutter". I toggle back and forth - search and view other courses etc - and I would prefer only to look at the thing that has my attention in the moment. But that's just me. I also print my screens and keep a binder AND folder on my desktop with my exam scores. So once I get the pass recorded with ACE I don't necessarily concern myself with what records Study is keeping (since I'm not being billed per quiz grade posted or anything like that)

68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month

November 2016
March 2017
Institutes - Ethics
April 2017
May 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 5 119 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,463 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,630 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,253 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 373 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 763 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 370 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,041 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,915 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 595 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle