Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My SL blunder
(09-13-2018, 04:03 PM)davewill Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 02:38 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: So if I never take any transfer courses at another university, just the cornerstone and capstone at COSC, complete them both with an A and therefore have a "legitimate" GPA of 4.0 on my COSC transcript, would you bounce that CV, too, Dave? Just playing devil's advocate. I guess, at the end, I like the idea of not even putting the GPA on the CV. If it is being asked on an HR form or elsewhere, it would be fine to enter it there (as it appears on the transcript of the degree granting institution).

I'd be put off by your motive in listing such a meaningless number, certainly...which probably means yes. If a form requires a GPA, then you obviously have to put down whatever the number is. However, the scenario described originally was intentionally misleading, and I wouldn't want to work with that person.

I really don't get it. Who wants to put stuff on their resume that could come back to embarrass them?

I'm sincerely confused by your position- maybe we are arguing different things, but I can only think that we must be talking about different things. As an example, I have 4 degrees. Each with their own GPA. If I'm filling out a form that asks for each degree and GPA, I'm going to write EXACTLY what each GPA is. Never in a million years would I recalculate anything- no matter how many transfer credits I did or didn't have. Whether or not I list GPA on my resume <shrug> same answer. List what is on your record, the end.

Doing otherwise would be what I mean by "homemade GPA" which is to draw a conclusion about what companies or colleges are looking for and changing your GPA. You can't just rewrite your GPA - there really is nothing to do but list it EXACTLY as requested. It's not for application advantage, it's ethically wrong to do anything else.
The original post said "CV" which says to me that the applicant listed "Bachelor's degree at TESU: 4.0 GPA" in an attempt to claim a GPA which isn't representative of their actual experience. That's what I object to.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
(09-14-2018, 12:00 PM)davewill Wrote: The original post said "CV" which says to me that the applicant listed "Bachelor's degree at TESU: 4.0 GPA" in an attempt to claim a GPA which isn't representative of their actual experience. That's what I object to.

A distinction without a difference. I think I'll get off the mary go round first Wink