Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com vs. Saylor
I have never used any of these sites. I am a TESU student. For classes that both these sites offer, which would you recommend or would it depend on the class?

I know Saylor is  cheaper but I think you can finish Study.com a lot faster. And I think from what I understand, Study.com can be easier to understand. I could be wrong about that.

The General Ed classes I need to fulfill are the science class, Oral Communication, and the civic engagement requirement. 

Any information would be helpful! Thanks in advance!
i'd use straighterline for all 3
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(09-13-2018, 10:00 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: i'd use straighterline for all 3

Thank-you or responding. If you have a chance, can you tell me why?
(09-13-2018, 10:01 AM)Jenna.C Wrote:

The courses can be finished fairly quickly, open book for all quizzes and also for some exams and I think the cost will come out to be cheaper for just 3 courses when combined with coupons from the SL coupon thread.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
(09-13-2018, 10:03 AM)zzzz24 Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 10:01 AM)Jenna.C Wrote:

The courses can be finished fairly quickly, open book for all quizzes and also for some exams and I think the cost will come out to be cheaper for just 3 courses when combined with coupons from the SL coupon thread.

That's great! Thank-you so much for answering and the tips on how to save money. I really appreciate it.
(09-13-2018, 09:34 AM)Jenna.C Wrote: I have never used any of these sites. I am a TESU student. For classes that both these sites offer, which would you recommend or would it depend on the class?

I know Saylor is  cheaper but I think you can finish Study.com a lot faster. And I think from what I understand, Study.com can be easier to understand. I could be wrong about that.

The General Ed classes I need to fulfill are the science class, Oral Communication, and the civic engagement requirement. 

Intro to Comparative Politics on Saylor should meet your requirements for Civic Engagement. If you like Biology, you could try the Molecular Biology course on Saylor. I started it some days ago and I find it interesting.
(09-13-2018, 10:44 AM)Supermind Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 09:34 AM)Jenna.C Wrote: I have never used any of these sites. I am a TESU student. For classes that both these sites offer, which would you recommend or would it depend on the class?

Intro to Comparative Politics on Saylor should meet your requirements for Civic Engagement. If you like Biology, you could try the Molecular Biology course on Saylor. I started it some days ago and I find it interesting.

Thank-you!
I didn't love SL, but that's just me.

I prefer several other providers, including Study.com; since you specifically asked about it, that would be my preference.

For science, I would take a computer science course instead of science; Intro to Computers is my first choice there.

For Comparative Politics or American Government, doesn't matter (I'd probably do US Govt since I know more about it, but if you're foreign born, you might choose CompPol).

For Oral Comm, I'd go with Presentation Skills in the Workplace. Very short, and multiple people on here have said TESU brings it in to fulfill that area.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-14-2018, 12:20 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I didn't love SL, but that's just me.

I prefer several other providers, including Study.com; since you specifically asked about it, that would be my preference.

For science, I would take a computer science course instead of science; Intro to Computers is my first choice there.

For Comparative Politics or American Government, doesn't matter (I'd probably do US Govt since I know more about it, but if you're foreign born, you might choose CompPol).

For Oral Comm, I'd go with Presentation Skills in the Workplace.  Very short, and multiple people on here have said TESU brings it in to fulfill that area.

Thank-you! This is very helpful. I will definitely take Presentation Skills in the Workplace and American Government. 
As far as the science, I didn't even realize I could do that. So thanks for letting me know! That sounds better.
Thank-you again! I really appreciate it.
I have tried both and Study.com is much easier to use. It has an app too, which lets you get quizzes in while you're in line at the store or whatever

I took American History 2 from both Straighterline and Study.com and Straighterline's version was a joke. I would not personally use Straighterline for anything I didn't have to
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 39,326 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,485 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,692 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 300 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 603 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 327 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 969 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,814 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 552 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 279 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue