Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Study.com vs Sophia
(09-23-2020, 02:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi collegechick, long time no chat.   You should invest in a second monitor, for myself, I have a laptop and a second monitor for multi-tasking, it's so much easier/faster to get info when doing homework and studying.  With Sophia.org/Study.com or the majority of the courses I take, I have the e-textbook on my monitor and the quizzes/assignments on my laptop as the main screen... It helps so much when I need to dig through multiple documents/websites for sources, etc.

Since you're going for an easy/fast degree, but not the cheapest would be the TESU BALS with a Social Science concentration, or no concentration if you didn't need anything specific.  The cheapest would be the BSLS at COSC, but they require 30 UL vs the 18 UL in the TESU BALS.  Anyways, you should take the TEEX Death Investigation course as it's an open book, non proctored upper level course, for 3 quick UL credits.

To help you further and find out what's missing, you might want to copy/paste your TESU academic evaluation so we know what's missing, if you need free electives, you can take the free TEEX courses, they're also non-proctored for LL.  You should take the remainder of the upper level requirements through Coopersmith, Davar, or Study.com - there are many courses you can select from, in different Liberal Arts subjects.

Hello again BJ,

Thank you for your helpful response Smile Thank you for the monitor tip.  I have a desktop and laptop, so I'll remember this in the future.

Isn't the BALS cheap, especially if I plug away at Study?  I think it is.  

Thank you for the free TEEX Death Investigation course!  I will definitely take this!

Just e-mailed TESU to get access to my evaluation again.  TESU gave me UL credit from a Cyber Security TEEX course.  I forget which one.  I will post if/when I can get back in.  

So far I've completed:

Community College Credits:
FVT 150: Development of Film Expression - 3 credits
FVT 160: Video Equipment & Tech - 3 credits
FVT 254: Digital Editing - 3 credits
GAT 120: Adobe Photoshop - 3 credits
GAT 106: Adobe Illustrator - 3 credits
PSY 101: Gen Psychology - 3 credits
PSY 102: Gen Psychology II - 3 credits
SPE 115: Speech Comm - 3 credits
SPE 125: Interpersonal Comm - 3 credits
ENG 121: Eng Comp - 3 credits
ENG 122: Eng Comp II - 3 credits
HUM 122: Survey of Humanities II - 3 credits
HUM 123: Survey of Humanities III - 3 credits
ART 111: Art History - 3 credits
CIS 136: Power Point - 4 credits
CIS 125: MS Word - 4 credits
CIS 117: Web Page Essentials - 4 credits
MAT 135: Intro to Statistics - 3 credits
AST 102: Astronomy
AST 103: Lab - 4 credits
GEO 105: World Regional Geography - 3 credits
THE 111: Acting I - 3 credits

Art Institute:
MM1360: Inside Multimedia - 3 credits
XD1301: Fund of Design - 3 credits
XD1310: Fund of Drawing - 3 credits
XD2302: Computer Paint - 3 credits
XD3303: Fund of Business - 3 credits

ACE Credits:
American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters/The Institutes
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course)
American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Insurance Institute of America
AICP-0121

National Emergency Training Center (NFA)
Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators
National Emergency Training Center (NFA)
NNFA-0149

SOPHIA Learning, LLC
Developing Effective Teams
SOPHIA Learning, LLC
SOPH-0021

Texas Engineering Extension Service
Cyber Security for Business Professionals
TEEX-0252

Cyber Security for Everyone
TEEX-0250
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
TESU is making me submit a new application. Unless there have been massive transfer changes, I am going to proceed with completing credits via Study/TEEX. Halfway through the Death Investigation now.
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant
[-] The following 2 users Like collegechick's post:
  • allvia, EeBee
(09-23-2020, 02:01 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hi collegechick, long time no chat.   You should invest in a second monitor, for myself, I have a laptop and a second monitor for multi-tasking, it's so much easier/faster to get info when doing homework and studying.  With Sophia.org/Study.com or the majority of the courses I take, I have the e-textbook on my monitor and the quizzes/assignments on my laptop as the main screen... It helps so much when I need to dig through multiple documents/websites for sources, etc.

Since you're going for an easy/fast degree, but not the cheapest would be the TESU BALS with a Social Science concentration, or no concentration if you didn't need anything specific.  The cheapest would be the BSLS at COSC, but they require 30 UL vs the 18 UL in the TESU BALS.  Anyways, you should take the TEEX Death Investigation course as it's an open book, non proctored upper level course, for 3 quick UL credits.

To help you further and find out what's missing, you might want to copy/paste your TESU academic evaluation so we know what's missing, if you need free electives, you can take the free TEEX courses, they're also non-proctored for LL.  You should take the remainder of the upper level requirements through Coopersmith, Davar, or Study.com - there are many courses you can select from, in different Liberal Arts subjects.
Question if I do the Bachelor General Studies liberal arts at COSC do I have to pick up a concentration? Or it can just be bachelor in general studies that’s it ?

Question if I do the Bachelor General Studies liberal arts at COSC do I have to pick up a concentration? Or it can just be bachelor in general studies that’s it ?
(01-17-2021, 03:53 PM)VAG8088 Wrote: Question if I do the Bachelor General Studies liberal arts at COSC do I have to pick up a concentration? Or it can just be bachelor in general studies that’s it ?

At COSC, If you do the Bachelors in General Studies, you have to have a concentration. more info on that is here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...bachelors/

One of the concentration options is Liberal Studies and that is explained here  https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php

There are other options for concentrations within the General Studies found here https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ations.php
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

(01-17-2021, 03:53 PM)VAG8088 Wrote:

TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I’m still pretty new to study.com and I question I have is ; once subscribed can I enroll in a course just to look at the course plan and quizzes / tests And then not take it or finish it. Or will that show on my transcript as incomplete or dropped ?
(01-19-2021, 07:10 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I’m still pretty new to study.com and I question I have is ; once subscribed can I enroll in a course just to look at the course plan and quizzes / tests And then not take it or finish it. Or will that show on my transcript as incomplete or dropped ?

It's not like a university transcript. You can enroll in/unenroll in any number of classes and nobody else will ever know. It won't be on your transcript.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-19-2021, 07:10 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I’m still pretty new to study.com and I question I have is ; once subscribed can I enroll in a course just to look at the course plan and quizzes / tests And then not take it or finish it. Or will that show on my transcript as incomplete or dropped ?

Only completed and passed courses show on your transcript and get sent to ACE/Acclaim (for both Study.com and Sophia).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-24-2020, 12:30 PM)collegechick Wrote: TESU is making me submit a new application.  Unless there have been massive transfer changes, I am going to proceed with completing credits via Study/TEEX.  Halfway through the Death Investigation now.

Hi College Chick,

I also did Project Management at UCI - I'm wondering, did anyone give any college credit for that?

Thanks Smile
EB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com charged me another month without my consent Livia_Drusila 7 188 33 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 448 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 897 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 62,225 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 123 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 515 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,446 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 751 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,001 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 262 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM