Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for my son?
Hi all.  My daughter got good grades and scored great Scholarships/Grants.  My son (i'll call him, "Able") is a junior and just now saying he wants to attend college.  Up till now, we were thinking military.  After college, he plans to move to LA and be a rapper/producer.  The second part is a long shot.  However, college may work out if he can build his habits/skills.  I think this can be done by: 1) Pushing/encouraging him this year.  2) Passing some tests (AP or CLEP) and 3) Learning how to write (not likely in his high school trajectory).  A little background: Able's one of those, "Video game", kids who likes to exercise (basketball/gym).  He does not read books or go out of his way to learn academics.  HS classes are all standard level.  Able wants to be seen as cool (whatever the modern day term for that is).  He has a mind for science and can memorize large concepts/processes (though he often gets bored when the teacher repeats things - e.g. common core and SOL).  
With all that background in mind, I'm looking for suggestions/methods to get him engaged and build little wins.  I've never done Insta-Cert.  Is it an engaging/easy way to study?  Would it work for an AP test?  Able will not spend too much time looking at a paper testing guide.  There needs to be some engagement/feedback.  He's protective of his summers and has been working the last 3 but, "May", be convinced to take a test or two.  There is also winter/spring break. If it's online, I prefer to have a way to track his progress.
I appreciate any tips.  Thanks,

JB
I would suggest Modern States. They have interactive, free CLEP and AP courses - plus they'll pay for your exam fees. Instantcert would probably be the wrong way to go for an AP test. Also take a look at opencourseware and Khan Academy. All great options for CLEP/AP prep. Good luck!
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
[-] The following 1 user Likes zapproximator's post:
  • jb111
I would also look into dual enrollment courses. If those are an option for your school/situation, they are always my top recommendation. It's time efficient to receive credit for college while meeting HS requirements. They're usually only a little more rigorous than a standard HS class and have all the same structure/interaction/hand holding. Plus since dual enrollment counts as community college courses they're usually the most transferrable option. If he can do an AP course or 2 in HS that is almost as good. CLEP would be my 3rd choice for a HS student. CLEPs can be a good backup option just in case he fails an AP exam(if there's a corresponding CLEP) or to throw in a few of the "easier" CLEPs on the side if he already has a lot of the knowledge from his regular HS classes. For instance if he did a HS precalc class he could probably do that CLEP(and the college math/college algebra CLEPs) with minimal extra studying/practice.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • jb111
Both: Great recommendations!  I'd heard of Modern States but assumed it was another Study.com/Straighterline thing.  So it appears free (for a while).  We'll check it out.
I really wanted my son to do dual enrollment but he does not have the brain stamina/habits to do that.  It's questionable whether he will even be college material so this is my attempt to even ignite his mind/test the waters.  My daughter on the other hand has always been very agreeable and a natural at school.  Sooooo different.
It's questionable whether he will even be college material so this is my attempt to even ignite his mind/test the waters.  My daughter on the other hand has always been very agreeable and a natural at school.  Sooooo different.

You could be describing my 2 boys above.  My oldest took to all types of learning like a duck to water and earned 2 B.A. degrees in 4 years at a nearby state college and is currently working and looking at Grad Schools.  My youngest, has a very real visual impairment that makes reading hard for him, his eyes do not track, so he has to turn his head.  However, he is smart, just in a different way from his brother.  I pushed him to start Dual Enrollment classes the Spring of his Sophmore year with a P/F Career Exploration class, because I wanted to prove to him that he could do it.  He did.  Then 2 more the next year and 2 more his senior year.  Not a degree, but the kiddo that did not think he was college material had 12 hrs college credit.  He now has 24 hours at the Community College and is concurrently enrolled in a Vocational program at a NA local school to become a personal trainer.  My advice is to show him what is available and let him choose what he wants to try.  I think he may surprise you.  And perhaps surprise himself in the process.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • jb111
A recommendation is to have him start off small and move in steps towards getting college credit for an Associates and then ladder up to a Bachelors. Start with the CLEP/MS options, if you want ACE/NCCRS, then the Onlinedegree.com/Saylor.org and Straighterline/Study.com option might be a good bet for him... this is to get him acquainted with online education and interested in learning.

Have him review several pages on the wiki - There are the "Free courses" as well, about 10 credits worth for free.
Free Credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
Online Guide: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...c_Approach
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 3 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • hackenproof, jb111, NC Coach
Thanks for the additional resources.  He's actually trying to drop one of his electives, JROTC since the military is no longer exciting.  The school's policy says it can be done at 4 weeks (so - in the next week).  Able wants to take study hall but has another study hall the same day - sounds like an opportunity to goof off or have more free time at home.  I told him a fitness class would be OK, otherwise, stick it out with JROTC (could be a good backup plan if his, "Career", does not work out/changes).  
The alternative idea after hearing about all these great resources would be to say, "OK, I will let you take study hall on the condition that during that period. you study for 2 AP exams and take them in May" - lay out an entire study program for him w/test dates.  If I have a way to track progress, this is doable.  That way I can help when he needs it or take his phone if he slacks off.  I'll have to really dig into the options you all have shared.  Being interactive, inexpensive and allowing my supervision are my biggest priorities.

CLEP could be better since we could schedule for mid-April (far away from finals which would overwhelm him).  AP is more convenient (and comfy since with peers) - I'll need to hear back from the AP coordinator.  In 2 years when he graduates, I'm cool with him still doing community college (if ready).  However I can't swing university for 2 kids at the same time.  Virginia is pretty expensive.  I hate loans.  My daughter's school is nearly 30K/year but her awards brought it down to 12.5K.  I sooooo wish she could have done TESU but would not deny her the experience.  Who knows maybe Able will do TESU(while working a part time job and saving gobs of money).  I'm laying this out for him too.  TESU has BALS (quickest/easiest), BA-Art (music) and BSBA.  The later two align with his future plans.
Thanks.
(09-23-2018, 07:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: A recommendation is to have him start off small and move in steps towards getting college credit for an Associates and then ladder up to a Bachelors.   Start with the CLEP/MS options, if you want ACE/NCCRS, then the Onlinedegree.com/Saylor.org and Straighterline/Study.com option might be a good bet for him... this is to get him acquainted with online education and interested in learning.  

Have him review several pages on the wiki - There are the "Free courses" as well, about 10 credits worth for free.  
Free Credits: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
Wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki
Online Guide: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...c_Approach

Thanks!
[-] The following 1 user Likes hackenproof's post:
  • jb111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for Certifications to use up Personal Development Funds mohelena02 12 1,491 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Suggestions for (fast, inexpensive) ways to boost GPA studyingfortests 10 2,194 09-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Computer Degree Suggestions at any of the Big 3? JWells247 10 2,461 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Any suggestions for Ethics ChilliDawg 16 4,603 10-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Fast and cheap LL computer science suggestions udi 2 1,012 06-21-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: udi
  Putting It All Together—Suggestions/Tips pws 16 5,878 11-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Looking for suggestions on a place to start. IARS 10 2,920 09-17-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  TESU BALS My Progress Update/Study.com Course Suggestions? fcnew52 14 3,027 03-28-2017, 11:42 PM
Last Post: fcnew52
  Efficient study time management suggestions collegechick 9 1,934 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Last Post: OnlineStudent011320
  TESU BSBA GM or Finance Suggestions hed1979 5 1,339 11-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Synicaal