Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supply Chain degree---UMPI vs UMASS GLOBAL
Hi

I saw another post by someone mentioning UMASS global is writing focused, same as UMPI.  Im looking at SCM option or accounting option. 

I've narrowed my options down to WGU, UMPI, or UMASS. 

UMASS is only $3200!!!! for six month access!!!  (accounting is not offered for mypace learning)

I asked this question on reddit, comparing umass, wgu and umpi.  The answered I received were Umass and wgu focuse on specific areas of scm, while umpi teaches general knowledge on all parts of scm
One thing some people care about is the appearance of an online degree. UMPI has a physical campus and there is no differentiation on your diploma or transcripts that give the appearance of an online degree. WGU only offers online degrees. UMass Global also only offers online degrees and some are very off put by the word Global in the name. Some people also confuse these degrees with the degrees completed at the UMass campus in Amherst, Massachusetts which is not. You're not a student at UMass. UMass Global isn't even in Massachusetts which is odd to many people. These are just some things to think about.

UMass Global (not UMass) and UMPI both offer these degrees through the Strut Learning Platofrm. UMass Global requires more writing than UMPI and is a much slower program. UMPI offers a BA in Accounting, a BABA with Accounting Concentration, and a BLS with Accounting Minor. Do you already have any college credits? UMPI is EXTREMELY ACE friendly whereas the other 2 are not as friendly. You can complete 90 credits on Sophia for a few hundred dollars then transfer to UMPI to complete your remaining 30 credits. You're required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. If you transfer to UMPI with 90 transferable credits, then you can complete your bachelor's degree in 2-3 sessions which is 16-24 weeks. Most people on here transfer in the 90 credits and are done in 2-3 sessions. A few have done 1 session.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
(05-31-2023, 03:52 PM)geddon436 Wrote: Hi

I saw another post by someone mentioning UMASS global is writing focused, same as UMPI.  Im looking at SCM option or accounting option. 

UMASS is only $3200!!!! for six month access!!!  (accounting is not offered for mypace learning)

I asked this question on reddit, comparing umass, wgu and umpi.  The answered I received were Umass and wgu focuse on specific areas of scm, while umpi teaches general knowledge on all parts of scm

There isn't much feedback for UMASS Mypath programs. $3200 sounds like a good deal only if it's possible to complete in one term, which we don't know. It could take 2, 3, or 4 terms, depending on how fast they allow you to go and how much you can transfer. 

UMASS also requires an 81.5% grade on all alt and transferring credits.

PUG, we have student reports that it's possible to complete in 2 terms if you put in 20-30 hours per week. The grading is pretty easy overall, and we had someone on DF achieve a perfect 4.0 there.

There is a degree plan for the Business degree, and they do have a supply chain concentration option. (you can only take global courses at PUG, which the supply chain concentration doesn't have)
https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-31-2023, 04:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: One thing some people care about is the appearance of an online degree. UMPI has a physical campus and there is no differentiation on your diploma or transcripts that give the appearance of an online degree. WGU only offers online degrees. UMass Global also only offers online degrees and some are very off put by the word Global in the name. Some people also confuse these degrees with the degrees completed at the UMass campus in Amherst, Massachusetts which is not. You're not a student at UMass. UMass Global isn't even in Massachusetts which is odd to many people. These are just some things to think about.

UMass Global (not UMass) and UMPI both offer these degrees through the Strut Learning Platofrm. UMass Global requires more writing than UMPI and is a much slower program. UMPI offers a BA in Accounting, a BABA with Accounting Concentration, and a BLS with Accounting Minor. Do you already have any college credits? UMPI is EXTREMELY ACE friendly whereas the other 2 are not as friendly. You can complete 90 credits on Sophia for a few hundred dollars then transfer to UMPI to complete your remaining 30 credits. You're required to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. If you transfer to UMPI with 90 transferable credits, then you can complete your bachelor's degree in 2-3 sessions which is 16-24 weeks. Most people on here transfer in the 90 credits and are done in 2-3 sessions. A few have done 1 session.
Why is it slower program?
Lack of transfers, more writing, and more extensive studying needed for exams all work to slow a program down.

PUG is slower because every single credit that doesn't get transferred in means at least one paper or project. PUG is on the quarter system, not semester credit system. Instead of a degree being 120 credits with 90 transferable, it's 180 credits with about 135 transferable. That leaves about 45 credits. 45 papers or projects.

Also, we know how to get students to 90 transfer credits (or close to it) for UMPI. At WGU, the theoretical limit is 90 credits, but the practical limit usually runs between 70 and 80 credits (depending on degree). UMass Global isn't that transparent. We know you must get at least 81.5% on a Sophia/Study.com class for it to transfer. We don't necessarily know which classes you must get that score in, because of the lack of transparency.

Assuming that you are able to maximize transfer for UMass Global, the required classes have significant papers/projects to complete. This can slow things down a lot. Six months might not be enough to complete the remaining credits and you could wind up spending a lot more money than you would have spent at UMPI.

If you want a specific degree not offered by UMPI? By all means, go to the school that offers it. But if it's something that UMPI offers? It'll almost certainly be faster, easier, and cheaper at UMPI. Most students are able to complete UMPI degrees within 2 or 3 sessions, with a handful needing 4 sessions and a couple having been able to complete their degree in a single session.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • allvia, origamishuttle, ss20ts
(05-31-2023, 11:07 PM)LevelUP Wrote: PUG, we have student reports that it's possible to complete in 2 terms if you put in 20-30 hours per week. The grading is pretty easy overall, and we had someone on DF achieve a perfect 4.0 there.

There is a degree plan for the Business degree, and they do have a supply chain concentration option.
https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

Are you referring to the PUG ExcelTracks? I know that program is very different than the regular term plan. The Supply Chain Management and Logistics courses don't have the blue globe next to the course names. From what PUG told me when I was looking at master's that only programs with the blue globe were not able to be completed in the ExcelTrack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • LevelUP
@geddon436, that's a very good introduction post indicating what you're looking for. However, it's going to be hard to decide which program would be better as it seems you're looking at both cost and ease or speed to finish. It really depends on the person and their situation as there are so many variables in play...

Without the details mentioned in the template/addendum, my recommendation would be UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management, it may be a better option than the other two. Basically, if you have the extra budget, energy, and time, you can ladder that up to the WGU Masters afterwards or go for the UMPI MAOL...

Template/Last post Addendum: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-01-2023, 02:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @geddon436, that's a very good introduction post indicating what you're looking for.  However, it's going to be hard to decide which program would be better as it seems you're looking at both cost and ease or speed to finish.  It really depends on the person and their situation as there are so many variables in play...  

Without the details mentioned in the template/addendum, my recommendation would be UMPI BABA Supply Chain Management, it may be a better option than the other two.  Basically, if you have the extra budget, energy, and time, you can ladder that up to the WGU Masters afterwards or go for the UMPI MAOL...

Template/Last post Addendum: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

I'm leaning towards UMPI.  sst made great points. I think biggest reason is because there is more writing involved, less testing, yielding less anxiety of having to retake test again if I fail.

If you look at Study.com and Sophia to see what will transfer to UMassGlobal, it's impossible to tell because they use generic numbers.  We KNOW what will come in for WGU and UMPI, while we don't know what will work for UMG.  So, you'd probably have to take a bunch of Sophia and/or SDC courses that will work at UMPI and/or WGU, send the transcript(s) to UMG, and see where things come in.

For the Supply Chain degrees, they look similar to me - none of them stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest.  WGU and UMG might have a few extra courses in the major, but it's not a TON more - so I wouldn't decide based on that.

If you want to do Accounting, then it kind of rules UMG out.  So you're then down to UMPI and WGU.  So the question becomes, would you rather take more exams or write more papers.  Only you can decide that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-01-2023, 04:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

If you look at Study.com and Sophia to see what will transfer to UMassGlobal, it's impossible to tell because they use generic numbers.  We KNOW what will come in for WGU and UMPI, while we don't know what will work for UMG.  So, you'd probably have to take a bunch of Sophia and/or SDC courses that will work at UMPI and/or WGU, send the transcript(s) to UMG, and see where things come in.

For the Supply Chain degrees, they look similar to me - none of them stand out as being head and shoulders above the rest.  WGU and UMG might have a few extra courses in the major, but it's not a TON more - so I wouldn't decide based on that.

If you want to do Accounting, then it kind of rules UMG out.  So you're then down to UMPI and WGU.  So the question becomes, would you rather take more exams or write more papers.  Only you can decide that.

I posted the question on reddit. Few people said the same about wgu.  WGU has data classes Markdown R/R+  I've never heard of them.  I've never done programing before.  

I would rather write more papers because the thought of taking many tests gives me anxiety.

(06-01-2023, 04:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I posted the question on reddit. Few people said the same about wgu.  WGU has data classes Markdown R/R+  I've never heard of them.  I've never done programing before.  

I would rather write more papers because the thought of taking many tests gives me anxiety.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,471 Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 297 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 178 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 171 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 223 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 372 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 855 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 272 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,487 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 202 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87