Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching Master's Programs
(07-01-2018, 01:23 AM)rlw74 Wrote: How far into the current program are you and will any of it transfer?

I took one 1-credit course and one 4-credit course. I'm sure the 1-credit course won't transfer. I'm still waiting to hear if the 4-credit course will transfer as an elective. 

(07-01-2018, 02:34 AM)eriehiker Wrote: https://online.uj.ac.za/Programmes/Maste...lic-Health

When I was searching for programs earlier this year, I had decided that I would only apply for an MPH program if it was CEPH-accredited. After comparing dozens of programs, I determined it would be most convenient to earn an EHAC-accredited degree. USPHS also has openings every year for Environmental Health Officers; they rarely have openings for public health. 

(07-03-2018, 12:34 AM)High_Order1 Wrote: I thought you lived in TX. How are you doing classes like that without any field lab time?

There is no lab time, which is one of the reasons why I'm switching programs. I do not have the lab experience to become a microbiologist. In my careers seminar course discussions, I learned that there are categories of types of students in the program. 

1. Students who are already laboratory scientists and want to earn a graduate degree to move up. 
2. Students who already have an undergraduate degree in a science and want to earn a PhD. 
3. Students who already have prerequisites for a healthcare program, but are in the M.S. program to improve their chances of acceptance. Completing a medical-related master's degree to increase one's chance of getting into medical or dental school is common. 
4. There were some students who had a plan that didn't make sense. They wanted to work in public health and planned to earn an MPH, so I didn't understand why they were earning the M.S.
5. High school and middle school teachers looking for a pay increase. 

When I applied the microbiology program earlier this year, I also applied to the forensic science program (different from the medical science/forensic medicine program). The full name of the forensic science degree is Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Science with a major in Pharmacology with a concentration in Forensic Science (or Forensic Chemistry or Forensic DNA and Serology). Despite the stupid name, I saw on LinkedIn that many of the graduates of the forensic science program are employed as forensic scientists. Their online forensic science program just might be the most popular in the country. It used to require on-campus visits for labs several years ago, but I guess they decided that they were unnecessary. Unlike microbiology and medical/clinical laboratory science, lab experience is not really needed to enter the forensic science field because extensive on-the-job training is the norm. Employers just want applicants to have a biology, chemistry, or forensic science degree. If someone were to be hired as a crime scene investigator or medical examiner/coroner investigator in a large city, they would be doing little to no lab work. Autopsy technicians and morgue assistants are normally trained on the job. 

The forensic medicine program explains that, since it does not have labs, they use pictures to train students on how to identify signs of certain injuries and diseases. If you're an investigator or forensic nurse, that's really all you need. Most people in the medical field are not good at linking visual signs to possible abuse. In my previous job, I took continuing education courses from a forensic nurse and a pathologist on how to identify signs of child abuse.

As a side note, different state agencies offer different benefits. Health and Human Services offered $5,000 per year in tuition reimbursement, but I hated my job. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice is the only large agency in the state that offers no tuition reimbursement. TDCJ is such an awful department that doesn't care about its employees at all. So, I have a new job with a federal contractor that offers tuition reimbursement. If only I could have gotten a job with the Texas Department of Transportation. They pay up to $10,000 per year in tuition reimbursement.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,751 550,422 1 minute ago
Last Post: Kal Di
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 29 18,346 Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master degrees hicham78h 1 257 Yesterday, 02:11 AM
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 12 621 04-19-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,201 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 506 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 0 207 03-29-2024, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 641 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 600 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,676 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee