Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TAMUC Competency Based Program List
(09-23-2022, 04:15 PM)raycathode Wrote: Quick update on the policy. I'm in the BAAS Organizational Leadership degree program as a second bachelor student and asked about the new additional six credits of upper level requirement. I was told: "This is waved for 2nd bachelors."

That probably won't help many people, but it's worth mentioning.

How are you liking the program?
I don't like it. Because I don't have the time I really need to dedicate to properly accelerate (and they don't make it easy to accelerate due to arbitrary policies), I'm going to defer and focus on my graduate studies. I am unlikely to come back and finish after that, but won't totally shut the door on it. Might get bored enough.
But this stuff isn't interesting and it's not really for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • mohelena02, Tedium
I added the BGS to the wiki. I am going to work on some wording about their liberal transfer policies soon to help people realize how easy it is to put a degree together.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • rachel83az, Tswede
(11-29-2022, 05:59 PM)Tedium Wrote: I added the BGS to the wiki. I am going to work on some wording about their liberal transfer policies soon to help people realize how easy it is to put a degree together.

I just finally got my transfer evaluation for community college and Sophia (but not other credits yet) complete from them today for (potentially) the BGS.  I have been admitted to UMPI as well, but I am am interested in the BGS bc if I understand it right, it could be very quick to finish if the transfer credit is maximized, especially in the UL credits.   I am very curious what info you have about it.  I have found their admissions complicated and time consuming, with lots of run around.
The info I have is basically what everyone has posted on this forum. I applied right before Thanksgiving, so I have not spoken to anyone in person yet. They have received all of my transcripts, so the ball is rolling.

They are slow communicators from my understanding. You'll need 36 UL credits total to graduate. Keep in mind that the BGS has a core of 12 UL credits, so you'll just need to pick out 24 more UL and you're good. Aside from the general ed. credits, which seem pretty easy to fill from mohelena02's posts, there are no specific slots that you need to fill, so those 24 UL credits can be anything.

So, you'll need to take 30 credits, or 25% of the degree, from TAMUC. You have the 12 UL in the BGS core, 3 from the required Texas government class in the Gen Eds (unless you've already taken that), leaving you with 15 more credits to choose from TAMUC's offerings. Due to the CBE format, I assume you will have to choose those 15 credits from those offered in the other four CBE degrees they have available. I think those might be the only courses that are designed for the format. I'll be sure and ask that when I speak to someone. You can use those 15 to fill in any UL you might need, or your Gen Eds.

All-in-all, it's a pretty straightforward degree. To sum up: 36 UL credits to graduate, 30 credits must be taken at TAMUC, 24 of those 30 from TAMUC must be UL, the BGS core is 12 UL credits, and they require 3 credits of Texas Government. No foreign languages, no crazy maths. They even award 9 credits of UL for Human Growth and Development, Principles of Marketing, and Principles of Management CLEPS.

EDIT: Be sure to post your complete evaluation once you get it. Even if you don't eventually pursue TAMUC, it could possibly help others.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 2 users Like Tedium's post:
  • CircleT7, staceydiane
The TX Govt is a lower level course, so it's 24UL that needs to be completed for the BGS (plus the 12 prescribed UL hours at TAMUC) but other than that, the LL courses should be very easy to transfer in. I am actively talking to several of their people right now, trying to see if they will take UL ACTFL credits and Coursera certs. Now that I am talking to the right people, they do seem to be responsive and open to trying to get those credits considered. We will see what happens. Their page includes info about Excelsior's credit banking for credits that they can't take, so if Excelsior will put them on OneTranscript they might take them. I will update when I get answers. They do genuinely seem to be trying to get the credits considered, at least. This CBE program is I believe genuinely trying to fill that niche and consider all credit sources available.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tswede's post:
  • CircleT7, Tedium
That's good. I'm glad they are working with you. Let us know how it works out!
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
So the TAMUC program is not going to work for me. They accepted only 85 of my 133 credits and require 30 hours with them including 36 UL total and the UL electives list is based off the other degree programs they have. The only available UL elective classes sound extremely dry to me and not in subjects that I am interested in. They would require OneTranscript or some other method to bring in more of my alt credits, because Coursera ACE recommended courses and ACTFL coming in both on Credly will not work for their admissions department. The BGS advisor Becky Smith seems very nice, but she (and no one at TAMUC) does not seem to understand what Credly is or understand that Sophia has college credit because Ace and Coursera also is ACE recommended. Somehow Sophia through Parchment is acceptable but Credly is 100% ignored. They won't even acknowledge they received it, even when I have repeatedly asked. She told me to do portfolio review to "get them on a transcript" through a source like COSC if I want them considered. While I suppose that is an option, it isn't one that I am going to attempt when I can just do a program through UMPI.

Their program seems very young still and for a CBE program, they don't yet know all the sources available to prove competency based knowledge.

But either way, the electives for the BGS would be subjects that would bore me to tears and just not something I can commit to completing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tswede's post:
  • CircleT7
(12-13-2022, 03:38 PM)Tswede Wrote: They would require OneTranscript or some other method to bring in more of my alt credits, because Coursera ACE recommended courses and ACTFL coming in both on Credly will not work for their admissions department.  The BGS advisor Becky Smith seems very nice, but she (and no one at TAMUC) does not seem to understand what Credly is or understand that Sophia has college credit because Ace and Coursera also is ACE recommended. 

Not necessarily for you, but the cheapest way to do this (for future students) would be to apply to TESU, pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP, send all credits to TESU, then send them to TAMUC once evaluated. $50 application @ TESU. $52 for the TECEP. I think a TESU transcript is $15? 

Huge hassle and an extra expense that won't be worth it for many students, but a good workaround for anyone who really wants the TAMUC degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-13-2022, 03:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-13-2022, 03:38 PM)Tswede Wrote: They would require OneTranscript or some other method to bring in more of my alt credits, because Coursera ACE recommended courses and ACTFL coming in both on Credly will not work for their admissions department.  The BGS advisor Becky Smith seems very nice, but she (and no one at TAMUC) does not seem to understand what Credly is or understand that Sophia has college credit because Ace and Coursera also is ACE recommended. 

Not necessarily for you, but the cheapest way to do this (for future students) would be to apply to TESU, pay for the Medical Terminology TECEP, send all credits to TESU, then send them to TAMUC once evaluated. $50 application @ TESU. $52 for the TECEP. I think a TESU transcript is $15? 

Huge hassle and an extra expense that won't be worth it for many students, but a good workaround for anyone who really wants the TAMUC degree.

That would make sense for some, I agree.  If I had my heart set on taking a Texas based program I would do that.

TESC also has limitations on the UL credits they grant for Coursera, for instance, so that also changes up the math a bit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC Happy first day of Spring 1 ltw900rr 28 2,027 Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  TAMUC class review ltw900rr 24 3,947 03-24-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: funknola
  Bsnipedavis - TAMUC - Assistance Requested Bsnipedavis 20 1,983 03-16-2024, 08:50 AM
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 271 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,689 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 446 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 10 1,282 01-11-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: fromthedepths
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 47 6,096 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM
  TAMUC - Sophia advanced hours telldomis 3 555 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,983 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77