Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TECEP Sales Management & TECEP Financial Institutions and Markets
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any tips or incite on these two exams? Last two left to graduate!

Thanks,

Jim
Hello,

I am currently studying for the Financial Institutions and Markets TECEP. I will be taking the TECEP very soon. I'm just waiting on it to arrive at the proctor's office. Smile I will definitely post feedback when I finally take it. I am using the recommended text - Financial Markets and Institutions by Mishkin and Eakins, 6th edition. I feel prepared, but I guess I know for sure when I get into the exam. I couldn't find anyone with feedback for this TECEP so it was a little more difficult to know all that I should study. I just have solely used the textbook so hopefully that is sufficient! I'll let you know asap how it goes! Smile

Good luck studying! -Kelsey
Thanks Kelsey. I would really appreciate your feedback. All the best, Jim
Jim, this is the post I added to the Specific exam feedback section. I hope this will help you as well! If I recall anything else, I will let you know. Good luck to you! I think you will do just fine!

I just got back from taking this TECEP. I was disappointed with the lack of information on the forums concerning this TECEP. So, I hope I can help others who may need it in the future!
The test has 100 multiple-choice questions with 2 hours to complete it. I used the Financial Markets and Institutions text by Mishkin and Eakins which is recommended in the TECEP specific information. I also supplemented the text with reviewing the Instantcert flashcards for Money and Banking since much of the information overlaps. Like the other TECEPs, the test focuses heavily on specific information given within the text. I was grateful that I primarily studied from the text alone. Here is a list of things that are needed to pass the test and a few things I wish I had studies up on!

Keogh Plans
Definition of M1
Definition of Monetary Base
Which of these is considered a bank asset?
Which of these is considered a bank liability?
Purpose of monetary policy
Put Options/Call Options
Exchange Rates/If a currency appreciates or depreciates, how will this affect the cost of goods in domestic or foreign prices. Several questions concerning this information.
"If the Peso increases from 9 to 10 pesos relative to the dollar, is this an appreciation of the Peso and what happens to the dollar?"
Investment Banks purpose and clients
Dealers and Brokers purpose
Futures markets/Forward markets
Definition of an option
Mean Reversion
Balloons in the stock market
"What do all bonds have in common?"
Index funds
Fixed Rate Mortgage
Duration - Concepts and Definition
"Which statement is true concerning Preferred shareholders?" Know the difference between preferred and common shareholders and understand differences.
Defined Contribution & Defined Benefit pension funds definitions along with recognizing whether its underfunded, overfunded, etc.
One question asked which Financial Intermediary held the most assets? Commercial banks, S&L, Credit Unions, etc.
What is primary bank asset?
Which financial intermediary holds most illiquid assets? Insurance companies, S&L, Commercial banks, or Money Market mutual funds
Which bond fund is the easiest to manage?
Fed and it's purpose
Monetary Policy
Insurance definitions in the book - Whole life, Term, etc.
"If the real interest rate is 3% and the inflation rate is 5%, what is the nominal interest rate?" 2,5,6, or 8%
Relationship between yield to maturity and return on simple bond
Example of a no-load fund

My test seemed to focus more on the Financial Intermediaries than the Markets. Know the different Intermediaries and the purpose of each. What they do to raise funds and who each particular intermediary seeks to help. Also, what they do with the funds they've collected. There were no Theories or math problems needed on the test. That's all I can recall right now! I hope this helps some other people in the future. These are my final 3 credits and I will complete my BSBA. I believe I passed it and can't wait for graduation! Good luck to all in the future! Smile

~KELSEY
Thank you Kelsey!!! I really appreciate your input. I scheduled my exam next month. It will be my last 3 credits as well. Congratulations and good luck to you.

All the best,
Jim
Thanks for the great info! Do you if TESC gives a GPA for taking the TECEP?..:coolgleam:
There is no GPA for the TECEP. It's pass or fail which is nice! Smile Good luck to you...I'm still waiting to know whether I passed. -Kelsey
I just took Financial Institutions and Markets and I found the information that Kelsey posted to be very helpful. She covers most of what was on the exam.

FI&M had a lot of overlap with Money and Banking, so I would definitely suggest studying for both and taking both together.

FI&M did focus more on the financial institutions and financial markets while M&B focused more on monetary policy and monetary theories. FI&M did also cover monetary policy and foreign exchange.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
I found the Financial Institutions and Markets to have some overlap with the Macroeconomics CLEP (and I'm depressed to say that I scored near the same for both), particularly with monetary and national policies.

Be familiar with what the movement of either a demand or supply curve means for either the Fed and/or the banks. Money supply basics (M1, and what it consists of, etc), as well as a LOT of terminology questions.

I realize this is an older topic, but Kelsey's list is still pretty accurate. I would add that a good time spent on the glossary of the Mishkin textbook (what I used) would be beneficial, as well as a basic grasp of the main formulas (not too much, and it won't have you calculate anything; it's more "if X concept minus Y concept, you would have (Z concept)?". Instead of spending time on the paragraphs and oddly specific examples, focus on anything and everything that is listed and explained.

I stopped midway through the book as I was getting bored, so I could have spent more time on it, but the exam ultimately wasn't challenging and I had a good hour still remaining at the end of it.
I know that this is a super old post, but a major "thank you" is in order. This is my second to last test before I graduate. Was having a difficult time finding study materials for this test, but found your post to be highly helpful. Will be taking the test in a week, #prayers Smile. Thanks again, Kelsey!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,797 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,028 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,193 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,842 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,512 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,824 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,745 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,265 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,927 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,555 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew