Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEP exams
I am planning the TECEP's I need for residency and have a few questions that are hopefully simple that I couldn't find easily in past threads:

1.) Are these offered via proctoru? If not can someone point me to the process for taking these?
2.) For the Per Credit plan, does it matter if the exams I take are part of my degree? For the sake of speed, it may make more sense for me to pass 'throw away' TECEPs instead of using my other sources.
3.) Are these graded Pass/Fail only or does it count as part of your overall GPA?

Thanks for the help!
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
1. Yes, you can take TECEP's via ProctorU. You can also take them with an in-person proctor, such as at a local college or a public library.
2. For the Per Credit tuition plan, the exams do need to fit somewhere into the degree, but not necessarily into the major. For example, you can take one of their psychology exams for your social science general education credits, even if your major isn't in psychology.
3. They are graded Pass/Fail only. They do not count toward a GPA.
The TECEPs could even count toward your free electives, as long as they fit somewhere into the 120 hours of your degree plan.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
I thought someone found out that the residency credits don't even have to fit into the degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I thought someone found out that the residency credits don't even have to fit into the degree.

This is what had caused me confusion. The other question that was unclear for me was if I go back to tesc for a second BS, is the residency already filled by my first degree or is it an entirely new requirement in the per credit plan?

Done!
mednat Wrote:This is what had caused me confusion. The other question that was unclear for me was if I go back to tesc for a second BS, is the residency already filled by my first degree or is it an entirely new requirement in the per credit plan?

I don't have time to locate the original thread/post right now, it was my post to Saharapost that led to him investigating an answer. You can search out his post(s) since he was the one who was able to get a final answer on this question.

To summarize: for the first degree, yes, there needs to be 24 TESC credits spread throughout the degree as KayV stated. For the second, you've already met the residency, so you are only now using TECEPs (and any other methods) to help fill, at min, the 24 NEW credits required in the area of study. Just be sure to continue using one TECEP per year to continue active enrollment while completing second degree. Also note once the current degree is completed the student account/enrollment is marked as inactive so be sure to call the bursar/registrar the day of or day after your degree is conferred to activate the new program.

Be sure that you are still within your enrollment year at time of conferral. If not, register for a TECEP prior to enrollment expiring. I would also notify the registrar of your intent to earn a second degree when you fax in your request for graduation. Just my opinion, but it never hurts to have notes added to your student account to ward of any possible internal errors.

I'll try later to locate the thread/post; if found I'll add it here. BTW I apologize in advance, very busy this am, not able to check typos or read through for flow/clarity.

Take care.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
mednat Wrote:This is what had caused me confusion.

I remember now that I asked a similar question. They told me that the 12 credits that I would use toward an AAS would count toward the 24 credits needed for a BSBA even if those credits don't apply to the BSBA. However, if I were to go inactive, I would have to start the 24 residency credits from scratch. You can always contact them by email to verify.

After much back and forth, I found out that, even though you can't complete an undergraduate certificate, alone, with the Per Credit Tuition Plan, if you met the residency requirements for a degree, then you can tack on an undergraduate certificate without having to worry about paying an enrollment fee.

Edit: I found the post that says that the residency credits do not have to apply to the degree requirements.
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post168372

I can't find this same note on my evaluation.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Mednat,

Here is the link to post #10. Saharapost quoted the response from the Sr Associate Registrar at TESC. http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post174385

You may want to begin reading from post #5. Saharapost, our PPC tuition plan trailblazer, provides pertinent information which will prepare you for what is to come.

Good luck!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks bricabrac! That completely clears it up for me!

Done!
Do you have to pay enrollment before you can take TESCEP?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,752 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,995 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,790 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,535 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  TESU/ACE/Microsoft Exams AwardTour 10 2,937 07-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,597 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,716 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas