Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEPs
So, this weekend I finally applied to TESC with 96 credits (WOO!), and am planning to take advantage PPC credit option. Now, I still need a Capstone and some UL history credit, but the vast majority of what I take at TESC will be counted towards "Free Electives". Generally, I'm not a big fan of asking what tests are easier (Being that I started from nothing, and now have 20+ tests to show for it), but I really need to focus on getting good grades in the classes for my GPA and ultimately grad school, so any advantage I can get on focusing more on class, and less on TECEPs would be a welcome addition.

So, what TECEPs have you taken that were on the "easier" side of the spectrum? How did you study for them? I'm looking at the list, and to me it makes sense that the ones that translate to the 100s would probably be the easier side, but I'd figure I'd ask the experts.

Thanks for the help guys. Would've never gotten this far without you.
This should get you started. Take a look at the posts from Bricabrac. #5 and #16

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post168378
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

mattack91 Wrote:How did you study for them?

Two, in my opinion, excellent 'how to study for TECEP' posts.

Cookderosa - post
Passit1 - post

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks for these, this is a big help.

Because I'm a political/news junkie, I was thinking about taking Intro to Poli Sci/Intro to Comparative Politics, then using Saylor to prep myself before going. Comparative actually recommends Saylor, and Intro to Western Political Thought seems just right for 101.

Looking at the the list, News Reporting looks right up my alley as well. Guess I'm just going to have to buck up and buy the text. But targeting learning like you guys alluded to seems to be the best option.

Thanks for the help!
As far as TECEPs on the easier side, I'd suggest checking the test descriptions and choosing ones that are multiple choice. The ones requiring essays / short answers aren't such in the traditional sense. Mostly they are list and describe meaning memorization of lists pretty much exactly as they are written in the textbook. The essay ones are doable but mean more studying.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
passit1 Wrote:As far as TECEPs on the easier side, I'd suggest checking the test descriptions and choosing ones that are multiple choice. The ones requiring essays / short answers aren't such in the traditional sense. Mostly they are list and describe meaning memorization of lists pretty much exactly as they are written in the textbook. The essay ones are doable but mean more studying.

Has anyone actually made a list they are willing to share as a public resource? either on this post or in the exam specific forum, the greater information available means that these test will be approached with less fear if we all share our experiences with them.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Has anyone actually made a list they are willing to share as a public resource? either on this post or in the exam specific forum, the greater information available means that these test will be approached with less fear if we all share our experiences with them.

The sudden mass interests in TECEPs have been brought upon by the recent addition of TESCs Pay per credit plan. Being that many people were foregoing the TECEPs for other exam types, the information is naturally going to be scarce on this forum. I would wager within 6 months we should start to get a healthy feedback for the TECEPs, and who knows, good flash-cards for them.

In the meantime, everyone now will generally have to be pioneers.

I can share my thoughts on two TECEPs, Operations Management based on my own experience, and ENC-102, based on my spouses'.

If anyone is interested, let me know, my only request is that the info NOT be transferred to the specific exam area. If that is not possible, then PM would be the way to go.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
EI2HCB Wrote:Has anyone actually made a list they are willing to share as a public resource? either on this post or in the exam specific forum, the greater information available means that these test will be approached with less fear if we all share our experiences with them.

This is the reason I added a recommended list to my signature. I would suggest doing a google search for the exam of interest and contact the degreeforum member directly (PM) for insight on the exam. I prefer direct contact because like Prioko, I don't want my feedback moved to an area that I can no longer view or comment. Not much can be discussed publicly because everyone visits this forum. I simply state I am willing to share my study notes for the exams I've taken but to contact me privately. I think it's the best method. At one time there was a large amount of TECEPs available but because the school got wind students were sharing 'tips' the exams were pulled. Some were refreshed and reintroduced, others converted to e-pack courses, but the majority were never made available again. Please Exercise Caution when discussing TECEPs publicly. I would prefer if this does not happen again, the choices are already very limited.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

I don't have a dog in this fight (yet, maybe never) but I've been curious for years about this. Specifically, TECEPs have a small practice quiz available for each TECEP in order to give you a taste of what to expect. Are there any opinions on how proportional these practice quizzes are to the full test? Because I took a number of those quizzes years ago and my scores on them ranged from definitely passing to hopelessly failing. If the quizzes are the same difficulty question-wise to the real exam, only a lot shorter, than that would go along way in determining ahead of time how prepared one was. Because the standard advice is that TECEPs are specifically tailored to the textbooks recommended/required for the TECEP, but I did well on a few of those practice quizzes without ever looking at those specified textbooks.

And in the case of the "Network Technology" TECEP (CMP-354) I don't believe that test could be made with weird textbook-specific questions. That TECEP's associated practice test was all very generic industry terminology that was relatively easy considering it is 300-level (I have CompTIA's N+ cert). Anyone with a CCNA, N+, etc., should be able to pass that cold without ever touching TESC's required book because that's the nature of the material and field. I don't see why their MAT-105 or STA-201 TECEPs would be any different in structure than the CMP-354, but like most I've never taken a full TECEP.
Prloko Wrote:The sudden mass interests in TECEPs have been brought upon by the recent addition of TESCs Pay per credit plan. Being that many people were foregoing the TECEPs for other exam types, the information is naturally going to be scarce on this forum. I would wager within 6 months we should start to get a healthy feedback for the TECEPs, and who knows, good flash-cards for them.

In the meantime, everyone now will generally have to be pioneers.

I can share my thoughts on two TECEPs, Operations Management based on my own experience, and ENC-102, based on my spouses'.

If anyone is interested, let me know, my only request is that the info NOT be transferred to the specific exam area. If that is not possible, then PM would be the way to go.

For this to be successful, you'd need to accumulate enough data points i.e. at least 10 - 20 should suffice to get a general impression, and a stack of accurate/representative flash cards that can be used to sufficiently pass the TECEPs (i.e. >90% pass rates as in other instantcert flash card sets). The former will be more likely to happen far sooner than the latter, though I'd say the time that it would occur would likely be greater than 6 months perhaps even much longer. Who knows - it ultimately depends on how many people end up doing the TECEP "per credit" plan. It'd probably also take much longer for InstantCert flash cards for more TECEPs to be produced as the InstantCert owner would have to have a financial incentive in developing cards for these products; I think the creator ended up outsourcing the development of the cards to some 3rd party company so it may end up costing quite a bit of $$$ so the owner would have to determine if enough people would benefit from these or if it would just fit a niche market. What would basically have to be done is to essentially comb through any given textbook and pick what details are the most high yield for any given TECEP which would have to be sufficient enough to pass without any extra materials (besides some student feedback). Majority of the instantcert flash card sets for CLEPs, DSSTs, and UExcels don't require a textbook and can be passed relatively easily with minimal prep which is the primary benefit.

The downside with the specific exam area is that it's subscriber only. It costs money and it's information that's provided by test takers. I do agree with you that this information should be made public as it was before, but that's obviously in neither of our control. The upside though is that it's a central source for easily finding information rather than wading and pecking through different google searches to find any information. That's how it is for majority of the TECEPs I've looked into.

Regardless, it is a start, and whether it takes 6 months or 6 years, it's certainly worth collecting and aggregating information in order to make it relatively easier towards obtaining a cheap degree. Bill Gates said 5 years ago that technology can drive down the cost of college tuition to $2,000 and it's a step in the right direction where the cost of college should be going down and as such making it more accessible for anyone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three new TECEPs added Ideas 0 1,443 06-14-2018, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Public Relations Thought and Practice and Managerial Communications TECEPs gentleman4561 5 1,449 06-13-2018, 01:03 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about TECEPs xjarhead1999 2 1,097 06-11-2018, 06:34 PM
  Are TECEPs only for TESU students? clep3705 5 2,269 08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
Last Post: passit1
  TECEPS: English Comp I & II Silly_Me 14 3,371 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  New TECEPs swalke321 5 1,483 06-13-2017, 01:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Easy TECEPs to start with Al2010x 11 2,923 05-21-2017, 11:50 PM
  Five TECEPS, One month TESUAbroad 31 2,977 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Dumb question regarding Teceps Notgodot 3 1,035 03-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Notgodot
  Do Teceps count under transfer credit from other colleges for TESU? desireelws50 6 1,456 01-03-2017, 07:14 PM