Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEEX Cyber courses are back with more credits
(02-18-2019, 03:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 10:54 AM)rvm Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 09:34 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I was wondering about this, when I saw they were now offering more credit.  I wonder if you already took them, if you could have ACE take them off of your transcript and retake them for more credit?

That was just me wondering out loud.  My son is taking them now but I don't need them.

Great question.  I just looked at "My Courses" on my Ace transcript.  I don't see a way to delete courses from my transcript once they have been approved, but perhaps ACE tech support would remove old courses, especially since these are technical courses and the age of technical courses is important.

Wouldn't this be similar to retaking a CLEP exam, scoring higher the 2nd time around, and wanting to put that on ACE (assuming that you went to a school that gave more credit for a higher score like Spanish)?  And yes, I know most schools take CLEP directly, but you might still want to put it on your ACE transcript.
ACE won't let you put CLEP on your transcript at all. If you try to add it, it just gives you a message about how CLEP uses their own transcripts
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-18-2019, 04:26 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 03:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 10:54 AM)rvm Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 09:34 AM)hsfamfun Wrote: I was wondering about this, when I saw they were now offering more credit.  I wonder if you already took them, if you could have ACE take them off of your transcript and retake them for more credit?

That was just me wondering out loud.  My son is taking them now but I don't need them.

Great question.  I just looked at "My Courses" on my Ace transcript.  I don't see a way to delete courses from my transcript once they have been approved, but perhaps ACE tech support would remove old courses, especially since these are technical courses and the age of technical courses is important.

Wouldn't this be similar to retaking a CLEP exam, scoring higher the 2nd time around, and wanting to put that on ACE (assuming that you went to a school that gave more credit for a higher score like Spanish)?  And yes, I know most schools take CLEP directly, but you might still want to put it on your ACE transcript.
ACE won't let you put CLEP on your transcript at all. If you try to add it, it just gives you a message about how CLEP uses their own transcripts

I thought you could mail CLEP and DSST transcripts to ACE since they don't participate in the electronic exchange, but I haven't attempted to add CLEP or DSST in a long time.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(02-18-2019, 08:29 AM)AwardTour Wrote: I need 1 CS Credit(it does not have to be UL). I already took TEEX Cyber 101, 201, & 301 last year. Is there anything here that could fulfill that 1 CS credit without duplicating? If so I will run it by TESU to confirm. I probably won't get a response today with the holiday but I will report back what they say.

If you run it by TESU, I assure you with near certainty that they will tell you no because it's a nuance of the dates in ACE that make the loophole. You're going to confuse them.

(02-18-2019, 10:54 AM)rvm Wrote: technical courses and the age of technical courses is important.

For the win- that's the perfect argument.
(02-18-2019, 09:03 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 08:29 AM)AwardTour Wrote: I need 1 CS Credit(it does not have to be UL). I already took TEEX Cyber 101, 201, & 301 last year. Is there anything here that could fulfill that 1 CS credit without duplicating? If so I will run it by TESU to confirm. I probably won't get a response today with the holiday but I will report back what they say.

If you run it by TESU, I assure you with near certainty that they will tell you no because it's a nuance of the dates in ACE that make the loophole.  You're going to confuse them.

I agree. You'd have to retake it, get the new one on your ACE transcript, send it in and wait for the new eval. That might do it right there, or you might then have to appeal to the registrar to get the number of credits changed on that course. I doubt it would be possible to get a straight answer ahead of time. I DO think there's a reasonable chance it would work, though.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
So I'm noticing that the Cyber 101 / TEEX 0250 is listed as bearing the following credit recommendation in the ACE lookup: "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 4 semester hours in cybersecurity. Students must complete TEEX-0277, TEEX-0278, and TEEX-0279 to receive credit for this course. (12/18)."

However, looking up the constitute courses individually, it looks like they are cumulatively recommended at 4 semester hours, and 1 vocational hour as follows:

1.) Cyber Law and White-Collar Crime (AWR-168 / TEEX 0277): "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in cyber law, cyber criminology, or cybercrime and digital law. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0277 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18).

2.) Cyber Ethics (AWR174 / TEEX 0278): "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in information security and the Internet, digital literacy and online ethics, or introduction to cyber ethics. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0278 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18)."

3.) Information Security for Everyone (AWR175 / TEEX 0279): "In the vocational category, 1 semester hour in information security for everyone. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0279 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18)."

Would it make sense to anyone else then, to simply skip Information Security for Everyone (AWR175/TEEX0279), and it's ACE rated 10.5 hours of course time, and apply Cyber Law and White Collar Crime, and Cyber Ethics to the ACE transcript separately for the same amount of credit hours?

Does it seem that the only downside is that they'd be brought in as two separate 2 hours courses instead of one 4 hour block?

I'm assuming that "vocational category" credit hour wouldn't be worth anything in most programs (TESU BALS for instance) on its own. ..
(02-21-2019, 12:59 AM)DeanLewis Wrote: So I'm noticing that the Cyber 101 / TEEX 0250 is listed as bearing the following credit recommendation in the ACE lookup: "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 4 semester hours in cybersecurity. Students must complete TEEX-0277, TEEX-0278, and TEEX-0279 to receive credit for this course. (12/18)."

However, looking up the constitute courses individually, it looks like they are cumulatively recommended at 4 semester hours, and 1 vocational hour as follows:

1.) Cyber Law and White-Collar Crime (AWR-168 / TEEX 0277): "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in cyber law, cyber criminology, or cybercrime and digital law. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0277 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18).

2.) Cyber Ethics (AWR174 / TEEX 0278): "In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 2 semester hours in information security and the Internet, digital literacy and online ethics, or introduction to cyber ethics. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0278 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18)."

3.) Information Security for Everyone (AWR175 / TEEX 0279): "In the vocational category, 1 semester hour in information security for everyone. Students who request a credit recommendation for TEEX-0279 cannot receive a credit recommendation for TEEX-0250. (12/18)."

Would it make sense to anyone else then, to simply skip Information Security for Everyone (AWR175/TEEX0279), and it's ACE rated 10.5 hours of course time, and apply Cyber Law and White Collar Crime, and Cyber Ethics to the ACE transcript separately for the same amount of credit hours?

Does it seem that the only downside is that they'd be brought in as two separate 2 hours courses instead of one 4 hour block?

I'm assuming that "vocational category" credit hour wouldn't be worth anything in most programs (TESU BALS for instance) on its own. ..
Your conclusion is the same as mine. It is new territory now so we're not sure how the courses would transfer in any more but if you're just looking for free electives, that would probably be the best route.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-19-2019, 05:33 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-18-2019, 09:03 PM)cookderosa Wrote:

If you run it by TESU, I assure you with near certainty that they will tell you no because it's a nuance of the dates in ACE that make the loophole.  You're going to confuse them.

I agree. You'd have to retake it, get the new one on your ACE transcript, send it in and wait for the new eval. That might do it right there, or you might then have to appeal to the registrar to get the number of credits changed on that course. I doubt it would be possible to get a straight answer ahead of time. I DO think there's a reasonable chance it would work, though.

Son #3 is attempting this as I type.
He has all 3 cybers from 4 or 5 years ago.

A few things so far- upon registering for TEEX it asked if he had previously taken a class before. He selected no and was allowed to proceed. Use your own judgment.
We will submit the one class to ACE today and see what happens. If it gets blocked (I expect it to) we will submit a request to ACE to remove the previous 3 TEEX courses or allow him to complete the new courses based on the currency in technology requirement. I expect that they will say no, but then we will argue that the dates/changes indicate different credit values based on when the courses are completed, and that he is not asking to have new credits assigned to OLD courses, he is actually completing the NEW courses now. While I don't think this would work for "any" class, I do think that the date range approval will make the difference for "these" classes. I expect this to be allowed, but will report back. I also expect this to take some time.... but they should figure it out sooner rather than later, because there are about a zillion people who are probably going to consider doing this as well.
On a whim, I registered for Information Risk Management to see if it would let me re-take it. It did. I'm going to blow through this course and add it individually to my ACE and see what happens. I've already got the previous six credits from last summer. If it lets me re-take all the courses for individual course credits, I might just do them again. If I need some new credits toward a second bachelor's.... i mean it's free credits. Why not? If I pursue a second bachelor's at some point, they might come in handy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Oulton1
You can add courses that say that you can't receive credit for both. I have classes through the Defense Ammunition Center that would be duplicate credits on the ACE transcript.  What happens is that when the receiving or evaluating institution looks at the ACE transcript they will only evaluate one of them for credit. I am sure that you could ask for one or the other to be used.
So I read through this thread and I'm still totally confused. I took the TEEX courses in January. They're on my ACE transcript and TESU has already evaluated them and added them to my transcript.

I was credited the original 6 hours. How can I get the additional credits? Or should I even bother? Attached is my TESU evaluation and the TEEX course listing that I've taken. 

Suggestions are appreciated! 

.pdf   TESU evaluation-redacted.pdf (Size: 153.11 KB / Downloads: 32)

.png   Screen Shot 2019-02-24 at 10.01.30 AM.png (Size: 277.96 KB / Downloads: 25)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,085 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,525 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 198 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,799 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 738 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,947 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 788 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 707 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 601 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 685 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger