Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEL learning for RA credits
(08-26-2021, 07:24 AM)Pats20 Wrote: Maybe not erase but eliminate them from my gpa. Let’s say I have 120 credits with 3 c’s. If I retake or take 3 ra courses and get b’s then shouldn’t the b’s replace the c’s in my degree plan . For example let’s say I got a c in geology and I  take let’s say physics and get a b. Wouldn’t the physics b count toward the degree and the c geology fall off as unused credits. ?

You cannot "erase" or "eliminate" courses from your GPA.  1) Each school calculates their own GPA, and that doesn't "move" to other schools (even if those schools report your grades on the transcript, they do it for internal reasons, to make sure you have a grade high enough to transfer or meet requirements); 2) Schools generally only use their own courses to create a GPA (so TESU will look at your previous credits, but they ONLY create a TESU GPA based on the Cornerstone, Capstone, and any other courses you take there); 3) Each school sets their own policy, so they may have some sort of academic renewal policy, but that means retaking the course AT THAT SCHOOL; it also generally does not include C's as able to be available for that (D's and F's only).

If you want to calculate your overall GPA, if you have all B's and A's and only 2 C's in 120cr, I'm thinking you'll have something between a 3.0-3.75, and there's nothing you can do to get that up except take MORE graded courses and get A's - but honestly, it won't be worth it, and would take a gazillion credits to raise it much.  Make a spreadsheet to do this, and then see how many A's it takes to raise it to see what I'm talking about, or use an online GPA calculator.  It just won't matter for most Grad programs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@Pats20 - In your example, by getting a B in Physics, it will only bump up the GPA but not erase the C grade from Geology. The only way to bump up Geology to a better grade is to retake the course, they'll take the highest scoring course. Having said that, in your transcript, some schools may mention this is a repeat course and show the original grade as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-26-2021, 02:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want work to be light, some ASU classes fulfill that requirement. But you have to pay twice as much for them.

It's like we need a "Rate My Professors", except for credit sources....
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(08-26-2021, 03:00 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 02:48 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want work to be light, some ASU classes fulfill that requirement. But you have to pay twice as much for them.

It's like we need a "Rate My Professors", except for credit sources....

We do have a thread here for RA credits but it's not been used a lot.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thanks guys.

Let’s just say you have the minimum ra requirements for tesu. (I think it’s 30). Amongst those credits are a couple of c’s from 20 years ago. But on your cap and Corner you and let’s say another recent course you get all b’s. So now you have 3 current b’s. Will graduate school look at it as you have a 3.0 or will they factor in the courses from 20 years ago ? I understand that this is hypothetical because different programs and schools have Different policies.
It really depends on the school. Some want the most recent gpa(from your undergrad), I've seen them calculate a gpa from all lettered courses and others that just took it from mosy recent 30 graded credits.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(08-26-2021, 03:19 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Thanks guys.

Let’s just say you have the minimum ra requirements for tesu. (I think it’s 30). Amongst those credits are a couple of c’s from 20 years ago. But on your cap and Corner you and let’s say another recent course you get all b’s. So now you have 3 current b’s. Will graduate school look at it as you have a 3.0 or will they factor in the courses from 20 years ago ?  I understand that this  is hypothetical because different programs and schools have Different policies.

In my experience, grad schools are looking at your last 60 credits no matter when they are earned. They calculate your GPA based on those 60 credits. For example, I completed 48 credits at UMPI in 2020-2021 and 21 at CSU Global in 2020. I also have 2 associate degrees and lots of credits that are floating attached to none of my degrees. When I applied to grad school, they wanted my UMPI and CSU Global transcripts to verify that my last 60 credits earned had a 3.0 GPA. I had a 4.0 GPA so there wasn't a problem. They didn't ask about my previous credits because they were beyond the last 60. If I only had 59 credits instead of 69, then they would have asked for another transcript from the last school before those 2 to get to the 60 credits. 

This is how it seems to work for many grad schools. Not all, but many. In my research, almost all verified the last 60 credits with a 3.0 GPA and that your bachelor's degree was actually conferred.
(08-26-2021, 05:15 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: It really depends on the school. Some want the most recent gpa(from your undergrad), I've seen them calculate a gpa from all lettered courses and others that just took it from mosy recent 30 graded credits.

GRADES DO NOT TRANSFER!  Schools do not calculate GPA's based on transfers - they look at the original source.  So if you took courses at 3 schools, you will have 3 separate GPA's, and the fact that you transferred credits between schools will have no impact on that.  A grad school isn't going to look at what you brought into TESU and calculate that as your TESU GPA - they will ONLY count what you took at TESU as your TESU GPA.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-27-2021, 10:33 AM)O I dfrecore Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 05:15 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: It really depends on the school. Some want the most recent gpa(from your undergrad), I've seen them calculate a gpa from all lettered courses and others that just took it from mosy recent 30 graded credits.

GRADES DO NOT TRANSFER!  Schools do not calculate GPA's based on transfers - they look at the original source.  So if you took courses at 3 schools, you will have 3 separate GPA's, and the fact that you transferred credits between schools will have no impact on that.  A grad school isn't going to look at what you brought into TESU and calculate that as your TESU GPA - they will ONLY count what you took at TESU as your TESU GPA.

So if your graduate from tesu and have 12 credits thru them at a 3.0 and you transfer in 90 ace credits as pass/fail. And have 18 credits from community college at 2.0. What gpa would graduate  school look at ? And how would they calculate it ? From an earlier post I took it as they would look at your last 60 graded credits or whatever you’ve accumulated if less than 60 and average that out to get a cumulative gpa. Is that what you’re saying ?
(08-27-2021, 10:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

I literally said I had a school do that to me which they looked at my gpa from my undergrad, they looked at gpa from the other random schools I had and calculated everything together and got an overall goa to determine if I would be accepted which I was. I didn't say it was the norm. Everything I said in my response to OP is what happened to me.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,839 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  alternate credits help please Draconikx 3 1,101 11-15-2021, 10:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Credits for a D erials76 15 2,640 09-15-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Skirtlet
  Age of Credits ss20ts 3 1,262 02-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Is there a limit to how many credits you can transfer from one place? daharamu 2 1,086 12-07-2020, 03:08 AM
Last Post: daharamu
  Will COSC accepts my foreign credits as Non-Ace credits? cecilgambe7 74 7,886 10-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Update on StraighterLine/ACE credits at COSC sambam0812 0 1,183 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  BSBA - English Comp II and study.com credits? ashkir 5 1,428 09-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,013 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  COSC Evaluation with foreign and ACE credits akr680 4 1,634 06-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts