Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEL learning for RA credits
Has anyone had experience using TEL learning for RA credit?  What were the classes like?  What do you recommend?  Was it easy to obtain a transcript with RA credits?

Thank you
Why would TEL Learning be considered RA credit? Genuine question. It's not a regionally accredited college which is what RA credit is from.
(11-09-2020, 04:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why would TEL Learning be considered RA credit? Genuine question. It's not a regionally accredited college which is what RA credit is from.

Their courses are transcripted via one of two universities (can't remember the names right now), not ACE or NCCRS, similar to an ASU EA or other independent study course.
(11-09-2020, 04:04 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why would TEL Learning be considered RA credit? Genuine question. It's not a regionally accredited college which is what RA credit is from.

Their courses are transcripted via one of two universities (can't remember the names right now), not ACE or NCCRS, similar to an ASU EA or other independent study course.

But does that actually give you RA credit? I know EC does the transcripts for OnlineDegree.com courses, but you aren't given EC or RA credit. It's a transcript with OD's name and courses on it. 

ASU EA courses are taken directly from ASU though so that's why they're RA credit.
From their "How it Works" page:

Quote:Upon successful completion of a course, a partner university will award you credit and provide a transcript reflecting the letter grade earned. Credits from these courses count toward a degree at the partner university, or can generally be transferred to another regionally accredited college.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-09-2020, 04:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

But does that actually give you RA credit? I know EC does the transcripts for OnlineDegree.com courses, but you aren't given EC or RA credit. It's a transcript with OD's name and courses on it. 

ASU EA courses are taken directly from ASU though so that's why they're RA credit.

OnlineDegree's courses are NCCRS-evaluated, Excelsior just is willing to give you a transcript for them (I'm honestly not sure why OD doesn't just do this themselves, but whatever). The partner colleges for TEL Learning award the credit themselves (I guess it could be considered similar to a TECEP in that regard). Outlier.org (which partners with UPitt) is another example of this arrangement. What the credit granting university gets from the deal is beyond me.
TEL has an agreement with a few different colleges where the courses are transcripted as if you took the courses directly at that school (similar to some others including Westcott).

I think what's happening with these is that the schools actually contract with TEL/Westcott to use those courses in their schools - so if you are going to Greenville University for instance, you're taking a course that TEL created for them. Then, they can offer the courses themselves at the same time, and Greenville will put it on a transcript as if you took it there - because it's the exact same course. Just gotten a different way.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-09-2020, 04:56 PM)dbinghamjr Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 04:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

OnlineDegree's courses are NCCRS-evaluated, Excelsior just is willing to give you a transcript for them (I'm honestly not sure why OD doesn't just do this themselves, but whatever). The partner colleges for TEL Learning award the credit themselves (I guess it could be considered similar to a TECEP in that regard). Outlier.org (which partners with UPitt) is another example of this arrangement. What the credit granting university gets from the deal is beyond me.

I have no idea why OnlineDegree partnered with EC for transcripts. EC charges you 40 bucks for that transcript! That's an expensive transcript. 

Seems odd that a RA school would give RA credit for a course not taken through them. I wonder if this something they will continue to be allowed to do in the future. Definitely an odd arrangement.

(11-09-2020, 05:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TEL has an agreement with a few different colleges where the courses are transcripted as if you took the courses directly at that school (similar to some others including Westcott).

I think what's happening with these is that the schools actually contract with TEL/Westcott to use those courses in their schools - so if you are going to Greenville University for instance, you're taking a course that TEL created for them.  Then, they can offer the courses themselves at the same time, and Greenville will put it on a transcript as if you took it there - because it's the exact same course.  Just gotten a different way.

Oh if they use these programs in their school then that would make a lot of sense why they're giving RA credit. This really may explain why this works. Thanks!
I wish TEL Learning had more classes available so I could try it out myself. Unfortunately, they don't have anything I actually need.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-09-2020, 06:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I wish TEL Learning had more classes available so I could try it out myself. Unfortunately, they don't have anything I actually need.

They're definitely better for people just starting out, and that need GE courses.  My kid is going to need MicroBiology for her degree, but Bio and Chem are actually not required - but I figure Bio & Chem will be useful to pass that course, even if the school doesn't care, so she's going to take them both on her own time prior to MicroBio.

My other kid has an interest in languages, so finding inexpensive Chinese and Latin courses is a boon.  Not too many of those around.  Especially online.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • ashkir, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,643 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  alternate credits help please Draconikx 3 1,092 11-15-2021, 10:35 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Credits for a D erials76 15 2,571 09-15-2021, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Skirtlet
  Age of Credits ss20ts 3 1,243 02-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Is there a limit to how many credits you can transfer from one place? daharamu 2 1,066 12-07-2020, 03:08 AM
Last Post: daharamu
  Will COSC accepts my foreign credits as Non-Ace credits? cecilgambe7 74 7,513 10-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Update on StraighterLine/ACE credits at COSC sambam0812 0 1,166 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  BSBA - English Comp II and study.com credits? ashkir 5 1,393 09-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 3,933 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  COSC Evaluation with foreign and ACE credits akr680 4 1,619 06-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts