Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Adding 2nd area of study
I am enrolled in a 2nd BA program. If I want to add a second area of study do I need to call or can I simply write an email to enrolled asking for that along with the courses/tests I would like be planned in for it? I am not a big fan of calling in. :-)
Here are the responses I have received when asking similar questions:

To add a second major within the same college (I was looking at BSBA-HROM and BSBA-OPM):

"Thomas Edison State College encourages students to complete one area of study within a degree program and then continue their education at the master’s level.

However, students may complete up to two areas of study within one baccalaureate degree. No more than 9 semester hours of credit used in the first area of study can be used for the second area of study. The areas of study selected must be completely different. All related required credits for each area of study, as well as all degree requirements, must be met for both areas of study before a student can be certified for graduation. Students wishing to pursue a second area of study within a degree program MUST consult a program advisor in the respective degree program.

If you would like me to add the BSBA.OPM degree to your file, please let me know."

I did add the second major by email - never called - and while working to complete both bachelors' requirements (in the process, I also completed the requirements for the ASBA but am waiting to graduate with that until the BSBAs are done so I only pay the graduation fee once), I realized I nearly have the ASAST in Environmental Sciences completed and wanted to add that to my program as well (just needed a few more FEMAs, and it would look nice on my resume for my chosen field/position), and was told this:

"Once you graduate with the ASBA and both BSBA degrees, you will be eligible to come back and pursue your second Associates degree in Environmental Safety and Securities.
As a second Associates candidate, you must adhere to the second degree policy which states:
1. Students must complete a minimum of 12 additional credits in the option for a second associate degree beyond the date all prior degrees were completed.
2. Students must select an option which is significantly different from their previous degree(s).
3. Students must complete all requirements for the degree as listed in the current Thomas Edison State College Catalog.
4. Course work used to fulfill the requirement in an Option/Major Area of Study for previous degrees may not be applied to an Option/Major Area of Study in a second degree."

So it depends on how closely related the two "areas of study" are. If they are within the same college (i.e., both business degrees), you should not have a problem; you'll just need to complete both programs before you can graduate with either one. If they are from different colleges or considered similar in some way, you would need to a) prove they are distinctly different somehow, and b) wait until you've graduated with the first one before you started earning credits towards the second.

If I misunderstood your question and you meant something else, I apologize - it's been a long, long day - but those are the answers I have received when asking about similar things. And yes, you can do it entirely by email, no matter what changes you want to make.
Thank you so much for your advice. You have given me a lot to think about. I appreciate it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,884 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,289 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU 2nd Area of Study mysonx3 20 4,184 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,052 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,580 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Study.com partnership only eligible for 21 years of age+ Murdockb 6 2,224 07-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Murdockb
Wink BSBA Gen. Mgt/ GMS Area Excellente 6 1,480 06-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  What will fit: TESU BALS - Study.com Gen Ed (Down to the wire!) Cheeseburrito 3 1,558 06-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,571 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138