Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC - BA Social Sciences? Liberal Studies?
Okie dokie, let's see what we have here.....

I would take CLEP Social Sciences & History to free up the upper lever credits you have in the Social Sciences. Then I'd take all the CLEP history tests you can, ie: US History I and II and Western Civ I and II. Those will fit nicely in the Gen Ed electives category, while freeing up one more upper level test for the major.

Then, just go down the course catalog and pick out as many upper lever classes you can find. I used mainly all DANTES for that as CLEP's lack very many upper level tests Sad
Jesse
BA, Thomas Edison State College
MS, Grand Canyon University
mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Wow Jennifer...I didn't know you could be so hostile!!!!!!! Thank God I'm on your good side huh?!?!?!!!!!

Just teasin'.Smile

You know I always concur with your hostile assessments!!!hilarious

So livingproof if you want a second opinion...I second that stated by Jennifer...whoever you spoke to is a complete idiot!!!

-Case dismissed-hilarious

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

Marshall, the more you agree with me the more I like you :o)
HawkGuy Wrote:Okie dokie, let's see what we have here.....

I would take CLEP Social Sciences & History to free up the upper lever credits you have in the Social Sciences. Then I'd take all the CLEP history tests you can, ie: US History I and II and Western Civ I and II. Those will fit nicely in the Gen Ed electives category, while freeing up one more upper level test for the major.

Then, just go down the course catalog and pick out as many upper lever classes you can find. I used mainly all DANTES for that as CLEP's lack verymany upper level tests Sad
>>

Hawk- just a caution- without an evaluation, it's not safe to count the social science exams as 200 or above. He needs an eval before taking SS&H in my opinion. With only 2-3 tests to take, I would sit tight until my eval was done.

Linda- if you do liberal studies, you don't have a concentration.
The classes she could replace are both upper level. Psychology of Women is TECEP PSY-270, and History of the Vietnam War is DSST HIS-351. Unless I'm mistaken, both of those can be replaced by Social Sciences and History to free up the upper lever credits for her major.
Jesse
Oh ok, my bad. I was looking at Linda's transcript. I should have specified. Sorry haha. Linda, that advice was for you. All others.... disregard.
Jesse
HawkGuy Wrote:Oh ok, my bad. I was looking at Linda's transcript. I should have specified. Sorry haha. Linda, that advice was for you. All others.... disregard.
>>

LOL I am SO GLAD you explained that- I am sitting here scratching my head and totally confused on where the heck those classes are from and what the heck I was missing..... Ok, back to your regularly scheduled reading hilarious
Jennifer

On the TESC site where it gives the BA in Liberal Studies Credit distribution info it says:

Note 1: The following disciplines are considered humanities and may be applied toward the liberal studies concentration: art, communications (includes film, journalism, speech and radio/television), dance, English/literature (includes advanced writing courses, e.g., Creative Writing; Technical Writing), foreign language, music, philosophy, religion, theater.
Note 2: The following disciplines are considered natural sciences/mathematics and may be applied toward the liberal studies concentration: astronomy, biology, chemistry, computer science, earth science, environmental science, geology, mathematics, meteorology, oceanography, physical science, physics.
Note 3: The following disciplines are considered social sciences and may be applied toward the liberal studies concentration: anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, labor studies, political science, psychology, sociology.
Note 4: The following disciplines are interdisciplinary liberal arts. Depending on content, courses from these interdisciplinary disciplines may be appropriately applied toward the liberal studies concentration: African-American studies, American studies, Asian studies, environmental studies, urban studies, women’s studies.
Note 5: Because this degree program is interdisciplinary, it must be planned closely with a BA degree program advisor.

This is why I was confused.

HawkGuy
Thank you for the look. SS & History is my next planned test, I am just deciding if a month off 1st will be good.

My house is a mess, my family and friends feel deserted and I promised it would be better once I got my AA. If I don't take a month and make everyone else happy I am afraid they will make me miserable when I try to study.

P.S. I have been asked "Why do you need to go for a BA at your age you got a degree isn't that enough?"
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
The comment that someone has made to you in regard to your degree seeking should proably have a reply of - What does age have to do with it? Secondly, has this person ever had a potatoe chip? Sometimes it hard to eat just one, and that is the way it is with people that crave knowledge and have the time, stamina, and are willing to take it on. I applaud everyone of you that continue to learn and open your eyes to the new that is around us!

[SIZE="3"]Allison[/SIZE]
First of all Linda....

Number 1, there is no taking time off...you know better....there is no crying in baseballhilarious !!!!!!

Number 2, Ask not what you can do for your family....but what your family can do for youhilarious .

Number 3, Whoever made the comment about your age and your education needs to get an internal locus of control and get some goals...we kick butt around here!!!hilarious

Number 4, family or no family, the word is called sacrifice. People have to do what they have to do. And people that say they love you should recognize that fact and be in your corner. Because the rewards far out-way the short-term sacrifices.

In my honest opinion (and this is from my experience)...people hate to see people doing something positive with their lives. Sometimes people do it unintentionally but nevertheless.

And last but not least....and I'm sure every kick-butt forum member on IC will agree....we don't have time for foolishness!!! You either roll with us or you get rolled over. It's educational darwinism!!!!!!!

Always remember that it's 2008....and it's time to do what we came here to do.

CANNNNN YOUUUUUUUUU DIGGGGGGGGG ITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
That post was awesome Marshall... especially this part. Big Grin

mlwilliamsiv Wrote:Number 1, there is no taking time off...you know better....there is no crying in baseballhilarious !!!!!!
Bachelor of Arts, 2008
87 Traditional Credits
27 Exam Credits
6 FEMA Credits

M.A., 2010  

*Now Homeschooling

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,451 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,708 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,795 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,246 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,597 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU BA Liberal Studies Degree Plan junipers 4 2,095 05-16-2018, 12:41 PM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  Is anyone here in: 2018MAY Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495-OL008) @TESU Johmford 6 1,731 05-12-2018, 07:24 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk