Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC BA needs 18 TESC credits to complete?Also, social science vs psychology for OTS
Hey there!

I was talking to TESC and just got enrolled into their military program as an AF active spouse.

Now the letter that I got from them states that I have to complete 18 credits at TESC to get my BA in social sciences.

People online here seem to be able to CLEP out their entire degree without taking classes at TESC at all. Is there a difference between the military and the normal TESC degree program?

I would definitely prefer to pay out of state tuition and CELP my degree than having to pay for 18 semester hours.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks!

p.s.: how "wanted" is a BA in social sciences to get into AF OTS? Would a degree in psychology be better?
thedaye,

You should be able to get the in-state tuition rate. Did you already get an evaluation done? How many credits do you have? My evaluation had this in the notes section:

04/06/12 As a member of the Military Degree Completion Program you are
required to complete 18 semester hours of credit through Thomas
Edison State College methods of earning credit. SINCE YOU HAVE LESS
THAN 18SH TO COMPLETE YOUR BACHELORS DEGREE PROGRAM, YOU MAY PREFER
TO SWITCH TO THE ENROLLED OPTIONS PLAN FOR MILITARY MEMBERS AND
SPOUSES. IT INVOLVES PAYING THE CURRENT IN-STATE TUITION ($1,533)
ALONG WITH THE TECHNOLOGY SERVICES FEE ($113).

I went for the "Enrolled Option Plan", I just emailed them the change and this was their response:

To update the account, it is done with the remittance of payment. This information will be copied to your file. Please call or mail the bursar office the enrollment fee of $1646.

Sincerely,

Bursar Student Account Representative

Thomas Edison State College

609-984-4099

609-984-4066 fax

HOPE THIS HELPS.
I think you must be misreading the letter or TESC has just injected some wordy boilerplate to make it seem like they require you to take the 18 credits through them. As far as I know TESC is the last holdout that will let you bring in ALL of your credits form other sources. You should confirm this with them, but I suspect I'm right. They do have some recommended Capstone courses...but unless they have just changed it these are still optional.

What 18 credits do you need?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:I think you must be misreading the letter or TESC has just injected some wordy boilerplate to make it seem like they require you to take the 18 credits through them.

Rebel100,

thedaye is correct. The military completion plan requires you to complete 18 Units of course work with TESC. If you stay in the Military Completion Plan you don't have to pay the enrollment fee but you do have to take the 18 SH with TESC. I'm guessing TESC is banking on you using Military TA which is guaranteed money for them.

The better option is to do the Enrolled Option Plan (for Military & spouses), you only pay the enrollment fee (in-state tuition) and the tech fee. This will free you from having to do the 18 SH.

Hope this clears it up for ya.
-bldclot2
bldclot2 Wrote:Rebel100,

thedaye is correct. The military completion plan requires you to complete 18 Units of course work with TESC. If you stay in the Military Completion Plan you don't have to pay the enrollment fee but you do have to take the 18 SH with TESC. I'm guessing TESC is banking on you using Military TA which is guaranteed money for them.

The better option is to do the Enrolled Option Plan (for Military & spouses), you only pay the enrollment fee (in-state tuition) and the tech fee. This will free you from having to do the 18 SH.

-bldclot2

Ahh....now that actually makes perfect sense...my bad! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
bldclot2 Wrote:Rebel100,

-bldclot2

Did you pay those fees out of pocket? For a military member the MDCP is appealing because you don't have to pay any of those fees and simply have TA pay for the courses, so nothing comes out of pocket.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Service = Credits Alpha 5 1,422 06-04-2022, 07:43 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Straighterline 15 credits rayantanas 2 1,849 09-07-2019, 09:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,360 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  My Wife has 77 credits and just needs and Associates to get promoted. Please Help!! eliment 19 5,297 03-13-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Another CCAF thread about alternative credits Tracker 9 4,798 02-19-2018, 05:31 PM
Last Post: retire2018
  Advanced Enlistment with College Credits jmeitrem 15 7,149 05-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Last Post: C5259
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,433 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Cheap source of credits for veterans UptonSinclair 7 2,686 01-07-2015, 02:02 AM
Last Post: UptonSinclair
  CLEP/DSST credits for advanced enlistment? Arm4L1t3 10 3,100 09-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arm4L1t3
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,302 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT