Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Capstone Examples
Hello,
I'm just starting the Liberal Arts Capstone at TESC for a BA History. I'm trying to warp my head around the format of the paper, as it seems like it will some about how you did it, not just what you discovered. Someone on the forum recommended to ask people who have taken to course to see what their papers looked like.

So if anyone has taken this course, especially with a history research project, I'd love it if you could send some samples my way.

Thanks
Goal - BA in History at Thomas Edison State College

Taking War and American Society and Liberal Arts Capstone at in August semester.

Information Systems and Computer Applications - 66
English Composition with Essay - 56
Freshman College Composition - 68
Analizing and Interpreting Literature - 67
Civil War and Reconstruction DSST
Vietnam War DSST
Intro to World Religions DSST - 470
Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union DSST
Western Europe since 1954 CLEP
Sociology DSST
Social Sciences and History CLEP
Sociology CLEP
et. al.
I am currently taking the Capstone now, but my degree is Social Sciences. It seems like a lot of people in my class are history majors. Two separate students are doing their research paper on WW2, I guess since I don't know them personally and their topics are so unique and interesting I can't tell you them. The one thing that surprised me about the capstone course is how specific the topics are. You just can't do a topic on "entitlement programs", it has to be more specific than that, like "What is the future outlook of the US Social Security Program?" You also have to come up with sub-questions to discuss in your paper.

We have been given a previous student's sample chapters (modules 1-5), the topic was on school shootings. The sub-questions used for that topic were:
Is There a Connection Between Shooters and Their Subjection to Violence Through the Media?
Is There a Legitimate Connection Between Mass School Shooters and Their Access to Guns?

Once I saw how the previous student formatted her paper the project became easier for me. Also I read the instructions of the other modules in advance so I can try and plan out my paper. At times the project makes sense to me, at other times it is confusing.

Picking a topic is very hard and can be frustrating. Is there anything you found particular interesting in your studying for any of the DSST history exams that you could look more into? Like maybe media's role in Vietnam, women's involvement in WW2, and the Civil War's lingering effects on society. There is a few ideas, not sure if that helps. Maybe someone else can share more history topic ideas.
Clep's Passed: Humanites 70, Sociology 60, Psy 74, HG&D 61, EP 64
DSST's Passed: World Religions 480, Vietnam War 67, Environment & Humanity 67, M&B 64, MIS 449, Org Beh. 64, CJ 437, SA 450, USSR 64, CW 66,
Penn Foster: Fin. Man.
Did all the aleks stuff
TESC: Lib. Cap, BA in Social Science December 2013
My Capstone is on how American women's fashion has related to US society through history. Bluespecial had some great suggestions too Cool
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Good advice, bluespecial. I won't be doing a capstone (Psychology) for another year, though it is good to think about research topics. Thanks!
bluespecial Wrote:Picking a topic is very hard and can be frustrating. Is there anything you found particular interesting in your studying for any of the DSST history exams that you could look more into? Like maybe media's role in Vietnam, women's involvement in WW2, and the Civil War's lingering effects on society. There is a few ideas, not sure if that helps. Maybe someone else can share more history topic ideas.

Thanks for the response.

I think I will want to do something on American Revolutionary War General Peter Muhlenberg because not much has been written about him except for a pretty inaccurate 19th century biography. I'm just not sure what good questions would be to narrow the field of research.

I might see if the instructor can send me some example chapters.

Taking War and American Society and Liberal Arts Capstone at in August semester.

Vietnam War DSST
Sociology DSST
Sociology CLEP
et. al.
I haven't started the capstone yet. I'm enrolled in the BA Computer Science program since the capstone is a liberal arts class is the paper on anything or does it pertain to your major?
Completed Western Governors University B.S Information Technology 9/14
[COLOR="#0000FF"]
Completed Thomas Edison State College A.A.S Computer Studies 6/13[/COLOR]
dmar001 Wrote:I haven't started the capstone yet. I'm enrolled in the BA Computer Science program since the capstone is a liberal arts class is the paper on anything or does it pertain to your major?

I am about to finish the Capstone course (guided study) with Dr. Tomko. He was fine with my topic not being degree-related (I'm a History major). You have to get approval with whatever topic you choose, whether degree-related or not, so you can always ask! Smile
hornj Wrote:Thanks for the response.

I think I will want to do something on American Revolutionary War General Peter Muhlenberg because not much has been written about him except for a pretty inaccurate 19th century biography. I'm just not sure what good questions would be to narrow the field of research.

I might see if the instructor can send me some example chapters.
Great idea! And you'll definitely get access to a sample paper in the course.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
Westerner Wrote:Great idea! And you'll definitely get access to a sample paper in the course.

@Westerner-

I am about to finish the Guided Study course...I never saw a "sample paper." :leaving: Where did you find yours? The sample topics were never listed, either, though the syllabus said to check them out. I started in June, so they were just switching things over to the new Moodle format. A sample paper would have really helped!!! Smile
I would love to see what you have done, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks

Vietnam War DSST
Sociology DSST
Sociology CLEP
et. al.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,205 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,655 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,902 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,772 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,494 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,779 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,597 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill