Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Capstone course - LIB495 - guided study or online courses?
I am almost ready to sign up for the TESC Liberal Arts capstone course but I don't really know whether I should be signing up for online courses or guided study.

What's the difference between the two and has anyone had experiences with either that they would like to share with me?

Cheers!
I'm curious about this too. I had to do a capstone for my associates degree, but didn't really grasp the concept of it at the time. I want to make sure I get a good grade in it though, since it will probably be the only course I actually take though TESC. I'd like to have an instructor/mentor who can give a lot of guidance, and will allow revisions if I turn projects in early for review.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:I'm curious about this too. I had to do a capstone for my associates degree, but didn't really grasp the concept of it at the time. I want to make sure I get a good grade in it though, since it will probably be the only course I actually take though TESC. I'd like to have an instructor/mentor who can give a lot of guidance, and will allow revisions if I turn projects in early for review.

Doing the guided study capstone now and finished the first assignment the first day. I wanted to send it to my instructor for review before submitting it and she said that I cannot do that. At the end of each module you submit one chapter of your paper for feedback and that is when feedback is given in order to make corrections to your final paper. I want to get as close to 100 as I can on each assignment though, so it really irks me that she's not willing to review it before I submit it. Sad
Who's your instructor?

It seems that the guided study gives you more flexibility but if you don't get a decent mentor, you might struggle. I'm not sure that I want to spend the extra time and effort getting involved in the online discussions in the online course, especially as I am in Thailand so on the other side of the world to most of the other students!
I'm an introvert and didn't feel the need to do online discussions, nor did I want my grade dependent on comments in a forum with others. I wanted it to be a reflection only of my writing.
Of course the drawback was that my mentor was non-communicative and didn't explain anything nor answer my questions, so I felt like I was floundering for a while until I understood what I was required to do.
CLEP's and DSST's passed: Fund. of Counseling, Tech Writing, Here's to your Health, Intro to Computers, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, Human Growth and Devel, Intro to Soc., Crim Just, Law Enforcement, Env. and Humanity, Astronomy.
Completed 2 PLA's through LearningCounts.org.
Completed Capstone at TESC.
Did you complete it? I saw some posts state that their instructor gave them sample papers.....nice. I'm already feeling like this is going to be tough and I signed up for the online class. I'm a little older than most college students so I'm panicking a bit.
eileen Wrote:Did you complete it? I saw some posts state that their instructor gave them sample papers.....nice. I'm already feeling like this is going to be tough and I signed up for the online class. I'm a little older than most college students so I'm panicking a bit.
I'm taking the guided study course at the moment, and I am very pleased with it compared to taking an online course. In an online course, you are typically expected to participate in forums, which in all of my experience, is simply fluff, a waste of time, and perhaps even a distraction from the actual learning process. The guided study is pretty straightforward: follow the syllabus, complete the work, and contact your mentor if you have questions or issues.
I really liked that I had the interaction with other students in the discussion forums. They had ideas to help me out during the pick-your-topic phase. Also, it's nice to "share this journey" with others and learn about their topics and why they picked them.

And it's really not a big deal to participate in the forums, in this class. You post some of what you've written and comment on a couple other posts.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I just completed the Liberal Arts Capstone through the online course, and I was really quite happy with the class. Going into it, I was stressing myself out, and for the first few weeks it was tough. The hardest part was choosing a topic. I can tell you now, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS that are given by your mentor, even when it seems to contradict everything you think you know about writing. My topic was, "How United States foreign policy affects the economic functioning of a nation: a comparison between Cuba and Vietnam."

Certain aspects of the course didn't seem to make sense, but I just followed the directions and kept writing. I ended up with a 98.79 as a final grade for the course, and a 58 page thesis that I fully intend to utilize later for a masters in International Relations. I was so worried, and it turns out the secret is to follow directions, and write, write, write. If you have made it this far, I don't think you will have any problem with the online course, but I can't speak for the guided study options.
Finished the guided study capstone a few days ago. Just waiting for it to be graded. I had trouble throughout this course, but I think I survived (fingers crossed lol). Mine came out to 64 pages total. Just follow the syllabus and review your 'writing the winning thesis' book for each assignment to get a good idea about what things you should write about for each sub-topic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 12,375 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,141 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,341 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,366 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,472 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,100 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,851 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU 2nd Area of Study mysonx3 20 4,269 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,924 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,092 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill