Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC & DSST Ethics in America Question
Hello everyone.

I am planning on enrolling at TESC getting a BSBA in General Management. I don't plan on enrolling until I fulfill a large portion of my credits through testing out.

I was putting a degree plan together of my own to see what CLEPS/DANTES/and TECEP exams I can take to finish my degree when I ran into a slight snag.

I need 9 business elective credits and I have chosen the following:

*DSST Introduction to Business - 3 credits
*DSST Principles of Supervision - 3 credits
*DSST Organizational Behavior - 3 credits

The problem with Organizational Behavior is that I need that to satisfy the "area of study" part of the degree which leaves me needing 3 more credits for electives. I was planning on taking the DSST Ethics in America but am wondering if TESC will accept that as a business elective. If they won't accept it as an elective what other course can I take to fulfill this requirement (something relatively easy)!

I also have attached a copy of my sample degree plan....if anyone can give any input or suggestions I am all ears. I put this together based on the catalog from TESC along with forum members help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">BSBA in General Management - TESC.doc (Size: 26 KB / Downloads: 24)
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
WOW! Mr. Williams. You have definetly done your homework. Ethics in America is a Philosophy (which unfortunately would not help you with the business elective)

However, all is not lost. Looking at the guideline that you put together,

The Humanities section:

MAN 373 will satisfy the Business Elective.

And, the Ethics in America will satisfy the missing Humanities.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. Have a great day.
EDAdvisor Wrote:WOW! Mr. Williams. You have definetly done your homework. Ethics in America is a Philosophy (which unfortunately would not help you with the business elective)

However, all is not lost. Looking at the guideline that you put together,

The Humanities section:

MAN 373 will satisfy the Business Elective.

And, the Ethics in America will satisfy the missing Humanities.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. Have a great day.

Thank you EDAdvisor for responding to my post. The information you provided was very useful. However, I do have one question which still troubles me. In the TESC Catalog (P.68) where they show the credit distribution requirement list for the BSBA Degree, they list Managerial or Business Communications under the Humanities category. That is what kept throwing me off. I assumed that it was mandatory for their Humanities requirement. So I was gonna take a Managerial course (MAN 373), in addition to the two CLEPS mentioned below, because their are no CLEPS/DSST/or TECEPS that correspond to this subject.

However, based on what you told me, all I need to do now is just take:
-CLEP American Literature for 6 credits
-CLEP Humanities for 6 credits

to equal the 12 credits needed to complete my Humanities requirement and put the Managerial Communications Course under the Business Elective category.

Second, it also states under the Humanities Category (P.68), "Must include at least two subject areas." So...since I plan on taking the CLEP Humanities which is HUM-101/102-CE and CLEP American Literature which is LIT-111/112-CE, does that alone count as "two subject areas?" If so, then technically I don't even need to take the Ethics in America for the Humanities requirement. I can just take the two aforementioned CLEPS to fulfill the 12 credit requirement.

It also states on the last page of my BSBA in General Management Sheet:

"It is strongly recommended that all BSBA students, regardless of area of study, include a business ethics subject as part of the general education or free electives component of their degree."

As you can see from my degree plan attachment, I don't need any more free electives. Those are already taken care of through my FEMA credits. And based on what we discussed above...it won't even be necessary for the Humanities requirement. So should I even bother taking the exam? If I do, it will just allow me to graduate with 123 credits when I only need 120.

So... I have updated my degree plan based on the information you provided. Please give it another once over to see if it looks alright and if other adjustments need to be made. I greatly appreciate your input and advice. Thank you for all your help.

From a loyal degree seeker,

Marshall

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">BSBA in General Management1 - TESC.doc (Size: 26 KB / Downloads: 28)
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,462 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,442 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,306 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,649 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,736 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,980 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,813 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,006 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,990 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM