Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Degree Plan/ Tuition...Need help!
I need your input, please! I have an AS liberal arts from Excelsior...just enrolled at TESC...Have lots of CLEP and DANTES...a few regular credits..I am also taking a PLA course through CAEL and am hoping to earn some elective credit there...I just need a BS very soon, it doesn't matter in what....so, I need to send in my LDAS (learner designed area of study) option paperwork to TESC....not sure what to ask for....Has anyone done this? My credits are so varied and I must have 18 UL out of 24 in concentration....I will map out what I already have so far below....I was thinking to ask for a BS of Multidisciplinary Studies? 2-3 Concentrations to cover what I've got already??Other question is about financial aid....I am planning on taking more CLEP and DANTES in September...so should I wait until I have all my credits and then pay TESC? If so, I can't use financail aid since I need to take 6 credits, right? How much will it cost to graduate there out of pocket if I just test out?

COLLEGE CREDITS APPLIED TOWARDS AS IN LIBERAL ARTS
1996 Trident Technical College Anatomy and Physiology/BIO 210 4 credits
1996 Trident Technical College College Skills/ COL 103 3 credits
1999 CLEP Social Sciences and History 6 credits
2000 CLEP Humanities 6 credits
1999 CLEP History of US 1 3 credits
1999 CLEP Introductory Sociology 3 credits
2000 CLEP History of US 2 3 credits
2000 CLEP American Literature 6 credits
2000 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature 6 credits
1999 DANTES Civil War and Reconstruction 3 credits
1999 DANTES Here’s To Your Health 3 credits
1999 DANTES Drug and Alcohol Abuse 3 credits
2000 DANTES Introduction To World Religions 3 credits
2000 DANTES Environment and Humanity 3 credits
2000 Regents College Examination English Composition 6 credits

2000 CLEP Freshman College Comp 3 or 6 credits (not used )

2000 CLEP English Composition 3 or 6 credits (not used)

2002 Depaul University Learning Assessment 2 credits (not used)

Also will get 3 credits for medical terminology and 3 credits for intro to electrocardiography and 3 credits for PLA course and have 15 FEMA credits

Thanks for your help!!!!
Why not go for liberal studies? If you design an LDAS, you'll have to take the liberal arts capstone.

You can always calculate the tuition here. It should cost you $3,318 if you do not choose the LDAS major. Since my community college is cheap, I just used the financial aid refund from there to cover the fees at TESC.

Thomas Edison State College | Cost Calculator

If you think you can test out of the rest of the degree within a year, then apply so you can know where you're at. If you think it's going to take longer than a year, then wait until you test out of more courses because you don't want to have to pay another annual enrollment fee. I enrolled before I had all of the requirements done because I had a lot of community college credits that needed to be evaluated and I knew I could test out of the rest within a few months. I tested out of over 20 credits in two months while finishing up courses at my CC. It also helps to get courses pre-approved before you take them at another college.
Ok, thanks for the information.....So, do you know how I can use the financial aid to help me? I figured it out with the help of an advisor today and I can test out what I need to graduate.....hopefully within a month or so....So, do I have to pay everything out of pocket?
If you aren't taking any courses at TESC, then you aren't going to get any financial aid. If you take the minimum of 6 credits in order to get financial aid, then you're only going to get, at the most, a quarter of the yearly maximum grant ($5550). The full grant is meant to cover 24 credits or more in a year. I really don't know how it will work with Stafford loans, but I'm guessing it's pretty similar. If you're taking courses at a community college and receiving financial aid for those courses, then you'll most likely get a refund check depending on the number of credits you take and the amount of money your college awards you. You can use that for living and education related expenses like CLEPs and DSSTs. Otherwise, everything will have to be paid out of pocket.

If you decide to take the minimum of 6 credits at TESC in order to qualify for financial aid with them, it's going to cost you $4,363 as an out-of-state student. You will probably only get a grant award of $1,387.50 at the most. You will have to take out a loan to cover the rest.
Ok, thanks so much for the reply.....so, it looks like the cheapest, easiest way to go is to just pay out of pocket for the final CLEP and DSST's and pay the $3318 to TESC and be done. Thanks for helping me figure it all out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,942 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,678 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627