Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Fin Acct question
In a previous thread I'd raised concerns about an anticipated course equivalency provided to me by TESC advisement. Others here were very helpful in pointing out that advisement makes approximations but the registrar needs to actually evaluate an official transcript before anything is final. With that in mind, I'd like to get opinions from people about another B&M course transfer equivalency. I'm certain this course will transfer as one of two courses, however I will not be able to have this course officially evaluated by TESC until I complete it in mid May. I would like to begin whichever of the two it isn't immediately with SL, hence my wanting to make the best guess as to which of the two this course will be.

TESC advising told me this course will transfer in as "Principles of Financial Accounting - ACC-101" (which is equivalent to SL's "Accounting 1"). However, after reviewing TESC and SL's course descriptions I'm wondering if this doesn't sound more like "Intermediate Accounting I - ACC-201" (for which TESC grants equivalency to SL's "Financial Accounting"). It seems to me that the course I'm taking is somewhat between the two.

Course Name:
Financial Accounting. (200 level course at local B&M CC)

Course Description:
"Accounting as a process of providing useful financial information to investors, creditors, managers and other users is explored in this course. Emphasis is on understanding the accounting process, financial statements, and the use and limitations of accounting information."

Because the description is a bit (too) short and sweet, I'm providing the course unit breakdown (presented in the syllabus) as well:

1. Acct in Business (Accounting Equation, Uses of Financial Information).
  2. Analyzing and Recording Transactions
  3. Adjusting Accounts and Preparing Financial Statements (Including Balance Sheets, Income Statements, Statement of Cash Flows.)
  4. Reporting and Analyzing (R&A): Cash Flows (Direct and Indirect)
  5. Analyzing and Interpreting Financial Statements
  6. R&A: Merchandising Operations
  7. R&A: Inventories (Including Valuation Methodologies, Costing Methods)
  8. R&A: Cash and Internal Controls
  9. R&A: Receivables
  10. R&A: Long-Term Assets (Including Acquisition, Depreciation, Disposal)
  11. R&A: Current Liabilities
  12. R&A: Equity

I realize this is a lot of information for someone to sort through to produce what is, at best, a speculation (and a speculation that will have no bearing on the ultimate decision, at that). However, I would really appreciate any insight from someone more knowledgeable on the subject matter and/or TESC's tendencies. Thank you all in advance for any help!

Aside: This is all coming up because I've recently realized how many business courses I've already taken and how much I'm enjoying this accounting class. I'm very much considering a BSBA after/along with my BA NatSci/Math. I had originally planned on my second being a BA Communications because I'm done with the reqs for that except for the capstone and one interpersonal comm course, but I simply don't see how a BA Communications would benefit me. With a few more courses, I think the BSBA makes more sense for my career goals.
The course description and content describes a classic first course in financial accounting. This course would be a prerequisite for Intermediate Accounting.
If I had to guess, which I could be wrong, I would say the course would transfer in as financial accounting. TESC's evaluation of SL's Financial Accounting as Intermediate Accounting is an anomaly. I think they only did it because Accounting I and II were already evaluated as financial and managerial accounting.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Since it sounds like this is going to be ACC-101, I'll take SL's Acc II next and then move on to their other acc courses.

I really appreciate the help!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,618 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,957 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,943 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,793 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,582 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,974 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium