Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
(TESC) GPA Calculation
Hello all,

I've seen this asked before, but trying to search for GPA and "GPA Calculation" led to too common a word and too many results, respectively, so my apologies that it's being asked again.

Does TESC factor in your grade/GPA from other classes you transferred in? Mainly asking as I have one class with a B, Trigonometry, and I'm trying to build a package for next year, both for my evaluations and possibly a commissioning one also. I'm trying to figure out whether I can state that I have a 4.0 through TESC only, or if all credits I ever included were factored in; I'm not worrying much personally between a 4.0 and a 3.9, but when it comes to the commissioning package a 4.0 would be the expected minimum, so any little bit helps.

Thank you all, again, as always.
No TESC does not use any classes not taken there. I took one 3 credit class and got A- then I took one 6 credit course and got an A my reported GPA is 3.9

My grades from other schools are listed on my transcript but the only GPA reported is from my TESC courses.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Hi OfficerA,

The only grades on the official transcript are institutional credits (TESC). Not sure how Lindagerrs' is different than mine, but transfer credit grades are left blank. I sent you a PM to give you access to pics of my transcript.

http://www.tesc.edu/alumni/Request-GPA.cfm

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac is right I must have been thinking of the Academic Evaluation. No grades are given for credits earned at other colleges, just the amount of credits earned for each course
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
OfficerA Wrote:Hello all,

I've seen this asked before, but trying to search for GPA and "GPA Calculation" led to too common a word and too many results, respectively, so my apologies that it's being asked again.

Does TESC factor in your grade/GPA from other classes you transferred in? Mainly asking as I have one class with a B, Trigonometry, and I'm trying to build a package for next year, both for my evaluations and possibly a commissioning one also. I'm trying to figure out whether I can state that I have a 4.0 through TESC only, or if all credits I ever included were factored in; I'm not worrying much personally between a 4.0 and a 3.9, but when it comes to the commissioning package a 4.0 would be the expected minimum, so any little bit helps.

Thank you all, again, as always.
Although TESC gives GPAs ONLY for their courses, the AF will evaluate ALL courses attempted. Trying to squeeze the B by the committee will only make you seem dishonest. INTEGRITY FIRST, Airman. Either way, good luck!

On a side note, this is why I always hated the EPR system, it makes Airmen into liars. When a supervisor makes "swept the hangar floors" into "flawlessly led maintenance of F-22 Hangar managing $22M facility", it encourages the Airmen to "stretch" the truth elsewhere.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
That does make sense; if they see that Trig was part of my bachelor's, but is not from TESC itself, they'd probably ask where it came from and request it.

Not gonna worry about it too much then; I've heard of worse packages, since they do try to evaluate people as a whole, not just on GPA.
This seems to be the most recent thread concerning TESC GPA's, so I will place my questions here.

First: I will only be taking one course at TESC - the capstone. If I get an "A", I feel it would be disingenuous or at least misleading to place "4.0 GPA" on my resume or anywhere else. Therefore, I plan to use a more accurately calculated GPA that consists of all graded credits that contributed to my degree. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Second: With the exception of three courses which are C-, I have A's or B's. I am planning to replace these courses with TECEP and SL. Will TESC allow me to replace the C- courses with the new sources of credit (they would meet the same criteria within the degree)? Logic: The GPA that I calculate for all courses within the degree would be higher. I thought I read somewhere that TESC would do this as long as it's done before a student petitions for graduation (this would make sense...).

Third: Does a TESC transcript list excess credit or courses that do not contribute to specific requirements within the degree itself?

Thanks
Outis Wrote:This seems to be the most recent thread concerning TESC GPA's, so I will place my questions here.

First: I will only be taking one course at TESC - the capstone. If I get an "A", I feel it would be disingenuous or at least misleading to place "4.0 GPA" on my resume or anywhere else. Therefore, I plan to use a more accurately calculated GPA that consists of all graded credits that contributed to my degree. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Second: With the exception of three courses which are C-, I have A's or B's. I am planning to replace these courses with TECEP and SL. Will TESC allow me to replace the C- courses with the new sources of credit (they would meet the same criteria within the degree)? Logic: The GPA that I calculate for all courses within the degree would be higher. I thought I read somewhere that TESC would do this as long as it's done before a student petitions for graduation (this would make sense...).

Third: Does a TESC transcript list excess credit or courses that do not contribute to specific requirements within the degree itself?

Thanks

1) Technically, yes, you will graduate with a 4.0 if you earn an A on the only course you take at TESC. (of course, if you earn a C, you'll have a 2.0.....but anyway) So, there is no point for "you" to calculate a more accurate GPA. That's not a thing. Your GPA at graduation is your GPA. OTHER PEOPLE may calculate a GPA for OTHER reasons, like grad school admission, but that's their job- how or why or if they do it is up to them. (I wanted to add that you said that listing your GPA feels misleading. In my opinion, just leave it off. No reason you should put a GPA on a resume anyway. There might be situations where it's asked, like on a job application, and in that case you would list 4.0)

2) Waste of time. TESC won't transfer in grades, so there is nothing to cover up. TESC will transfer in credit, which you will have. The only way to replace and cover that C- is if you went back to your school where you earned the C- and repeated it there. In the same vein, if you earned a C on your capstone, THAT could be replaced by repeating it. Does that make sense?

3) I'm about 75% sure that they do. I know it's on your evaluation on the bottom, but I can't remember if it's on the transcript too. Mine is from 09, maybe someone with a more current transcript can chime in on this.
[COLOR="#FF0000"]Cookderosa wrote:
[/COLOR]3) I'm about 75% sure that they do. I know it's on your evaluation on the bottom, but I can't remember if it's on the transcript too. Mine is from 09, maybe someone with a more current transcript can chime in on this.

They placed excess courses on my transcript in 2012. They also didn't list any letter grades for transfer credit (they do on the evaluation). Hope that helps.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
If I were building a package, I would provide copies of all transcripts. Make things as easy as possible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,445 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,185 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,982 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,340 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,764 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,739 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,259 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,867 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,977 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77