Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Hopeful?
Hello everyone, I've been creeping around your forums for well over a year now and have finally gotten around to making an account. I feel bad coming here and asking for help straight off the bat, but I'm in an unfortunate situation right now and desperate to continue my education. This post might get long, and I sincerely apologize!

A little background info:
I came across this forum and the Big 3 a couple years ago and always thought it was the coolest thing but was already in school so I pushed it aside and continued my unnecessarily expensive education. I've always been rather unhappy at Kent State University, where I am attending through the end of this semester, and due to a lot of family issues going on lately I really have been contemplating making a change to a less-expensive online program (such as TESC).
Well, I can easily say that your forum has brought me so much hope the past few days as I've scoured every single post for hours. After completing my FAFSA and submitting it to KSU for the 2015-2016 year, I found out that I've maxed out my aggregate loan amount meaning no more school for me as I have no other means of obtaining the $10k I need and cannot get private loans to do so.
I've not always been the best student. I have nearly 102 credits from KSU (provided more than a few D's that I'm not sure would transfer) but I do have a significant amount of work done that I know would transfer. Having switched majors multiple times, many of the courses I have done are only 10000 and 20000 level, unfortunately.
I'm serious about buckling down and making this work.

I feel that a BA in Liberal Studies is my best bet, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what classes I need and which requirements I've completed thus far.
I've already registered for the TEEX courses to pick up those extra credits, should I need them for whatever reason. My classes at KSU end the first week of May; should I wait to apply anywhere until after I finish this semester so my transcript reflects the classes I'm currently in?

I guess I'm just looking for the most cost-effective degree at this point. The past few months my life has completely flipped upside down and I'm ready for a change. Again, I am really sorry to have secretly hung around here for so long and only now am I making an account, and asking for everyone's help at that. Reading what everyone has accomplished is incredibly motivating and inspiring!
Can you please provide a list of courses you have completed? Please include course title, course number, and institution and cr hours. Please also consider what your career goals are after you complete your degree.

i.e. ENG 101 English Composition 3cr, Kent State University
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
You need to withdrawal from Kent State before enrolling at TESC. They won't let you be a matriculated bachelors degree seeking student at two schools at the same time. You can still apply and set your start date for June 1st. That would probably be a good idea since some here have concerns that there will be major changes to the TESC catalog in July.

Post your classes, so others can look over what you have and will be able to provide more help. Include department, course number, and credits for each class. Does KSU use semester credits or quarter credits?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Welcome from lurkerdom! The best way to start would be to list your classes with prefixes {"MAT-101 College Math 3 hrs"). If you have D grades, they will still transfer in to TESC as CR grades except for English Composition I and II and courses in your major.

It also would be helpful to know what your career goals are so that we can try to align those with a major if possible.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Welcome to the forums ksedar! Smile If you could post a list of both the courses you've completed and those you're currently working on (together with their course codes, letter grades, credit hours), we'd be able to better advise you on how those credits will probably transfer at TESC. Other than a BA in Liberal Studies, are there any other degrees you wouldn't mind considering at TESC? If so, list them out, too. Smile

EDIT: Whoops, I'm repeating the others. You guys were fast...
ksedar2408 Wrote:Hello everyone, I've been creeping around your forums for well over a year now and have finally gotten around to making an account. I feel bad coming here and asking for help straight off the bat, but I'm in an unfortunate situation right now and desperate to continue my education. This post might get long, and I sincerely apologize!

A little background info:
I came across this forum and the Big 3 a couple years ago and always thought it was the coolest thing but was already in school so I pushed it aside and continued my unnecessarily expensive education. I've always been rather unhappy at Kent State University, where I am attending through the end of this semester, and due to a lot of family issues going on lately I really have been contemplating making a change to a less-expensive online program (such as TESC).
Well, I can easily say that your forum has brought me so much hope the past few days as I've scoured every single post for hours. After completing my FAFSA and submitting it to KSU for the 2015-2016 year, I found out that I've maxed out my aggregate loan amount meaning no more school for me as I have no other means of obtaining the $10k I need and cannot get private loans to do so.
I've not always been the best student. I have nearly 102 credits from KSU (provided more than a few D's that I'm not sure would transfer) but I do have a significant amount of work done that I know would transfer. Having switched majors multiple times, many of the courses I have done are only 10000 and 20000 level, unfortunately.
I'm serious about buckling down and making this work.

I feel that a BA in Liberal Studies is my best bet, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what classes I need and which requirements I've completed thus far.
I've already registered for the TEEX courses to pick up those extra credits, should I need them for whatever reason. My classes at KSU end the first week of May; should I wait to apply anywhere until after I finish this semester so my transcript reflects the classes I'm currently in?

I guess I'm just looking for the most cost-effective degree at this point. The past few months my life has completely flipped upside down and I'm ready for a change. Again, I am really sorry to have secretly hung around here for so long and only now am I making an account, and asking for everyone's help at that. Reading what everyone has accomplished is incredibly motivating and inspiring!

Why is a BA in liberal studies best for you? Is it because it is one of the more flexible programs, or do you just want a degree just because? What do you plan to do with a BA in liberal studies? What are your career prospects, and are you looking to college for a career or just to further your education? Take time to think before you leap. I am all for promoting education; however, I am all for saving money too. If you get a degree that can not help you get a career is it worth it to you? Perhaps you should look at other degree programs. You can use CBE's to get other degrees as well and you can do this with any of the Big 3 schools. Sorry to hound you with so many questions but I only ask for your benefit because these are questions you should ask yourself. Good Luck
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
I appreciate all of the replies.

To answer a few questions:
Kent State University is on a semester system, so all classes are semester credits.
I'm afraid I don't have a certain ideal career in mind, that why I liked the flexibility of a degree that pulls together more than one field - but I am honestly open to anything. I do have a strong desire to learn more about the world and other cultures, whether that be anything from history to international affairs.
smf6824, I appreciate you asking the questions that you did because you're right, they are important. While I do hope to obtain a degree that can eventually get me a decent job I also feel that I have put so much money into my education thus far (with nothing to show for it) that even if I can find a degree solution for the time being I will be content.

Here are all of my completed courses to date:
(All have been completed as KSU)

BSCI
BSCI 10002 Life on Planet Earth - 3cr
BSCI 10003 Lab Experience in Biology - 1cr

CHEM
CHEM 10050 Fundamentals of Chemistry - 3cr

CLAS
CLAS 21201 English Words from Classic Elements - 3cr
CLAS 21404 The Greek Achievement - 3cr
CLAS 21405 The Roman Achievement - 3cr

CS
CS 10051 Intro to Computer Science - 4cr
CS 23022 Discrete Structures for Computer Science - 3cr

ECON
ECON 22060 Principles of Microeconomics - 3cr
ECON 22061 Principles of Macroeconomics - 3cr

ENG
ENG 11011 College Writing I - 3cr
ENG 21011 College Writing II - 3cr (received a D, so I would need to retake)

GEOG
GEOG 17064 Geography of the United States and Canada - 3cr
GEOG 17063 World Geography - 3cr
GEOG 40292 Field Experience in Geography - 2cr

GER
GER 11201 Elementary German I - 4cr
GER 11202 Elementary German II - 4cr
GER 21201 Intermediate German I - 3cr
GER 21202 Intermediate German II - 3cr

JMC
JMC 20001 Media, Power, and Culture - 3cr

MATH
MATH 10024 Basic Algebra III - 2cr
MATH 10024 Basic Algebra IV - 2cr
MATH 11009 Modeling Algebra - 4cr
MATH 11010 Algebra for Calculus - 3cr
MATH 11022 Trigonometry - 3cr
MATH 12002 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I - 5 cr

MUS
MUS 22121 Music as a World Phenomenon - 3cr

PHY
PHY 21040 Physics in Entertainment and Art - 3cr

POL
POL 10500 World Politics - 3cr

PSYC
PSYC 11762 General Psychology - 3cr

US
US 10097 DKS:First Year Experience - 1cr
ksedar2408 Wrote:I appreciate all of the replies.

To answer a few questions:
Kent State University is on a semester system, so all classes are semester credits.
I'm afraid I don't have a certain ideal career in mind, that why I liked the flexibility of a degree that pulls together more than one field - but I am honestly open to anything. I do have a strong desire to learn more about the world and other cultures, whether that be anything from history to international affairs.
smf6824, I appreciate you asking the questions that you did because you're right, they are important. While I do hope to obtain a degree that can eventually get me a decent job I also feel that I have put so much money into my education thus far (with nothing to show for it) that even if I can find a degree solution for the time being I will be content.

Here are all of my completed courses to date:
(All have been completed as KSU)

BSCI
BSCI 10002 Life on Planet Earth - 3cr
BSCI 10003 Lab Experience in Biology - 1cr

CHEM
CHEM 10050 Fundamentals of Chemistry - 3cr

CLAS
CLAS 21201 English Words from Classic Elements - 3cr
CLAS 21404 The Greek Achievement - 3cr
CLAS 21405 The Roman Achievement - 3cr

CS
CS 10051 Intro to Computer Science - 4cr
CS 23022 Discrete Structures for Computer Science - 3cr

ECON
ECON 22060 Principles of Microeconomics - 3cr
ECON 22061 Principles of Macroeconomics - 3cr

ENG
ENG 11011 College Writing I - 3cr
ENG 21011 College Writing II - 3cr (received a D, so I would need to retake)

GEOG
GEOG 17064 Geography of the United States and Canada - 3cr
GEOG 17063 World Geography - 3cr
GEOG 40292 Field Experience in Geography - 2cr

GER
GER 11201 Elementary German I - 4cr
GER 11202 Elementary German II - 4cr
GER 21201 Intermediate German I - 3cr
GER 21202 Intermediate German II - 3cr

JMC
JMC 20001 Media, Power, and Culture - 3cr

MATH
MATH 10024 Basic Algebra III - 2cr
MATH 10024 Basic Algebra IV - 2cr
MATH 11009 Modeling Algebra - 4cr
MATH 11010 Algebra for Calculus - 3cr
MATH 11022 Trigonometry - 3cr
MATH 12002 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I - 5 cr

MUS
MUS 22121 Music as a World Phenomenon - 3cr

PHY
PHY 21040 Physics in Entertainment and Art - 3cr

POL
POL 10500 World Politics - 3cr

PSYC
PSYC 11762 General Psychology - 3cr

US
US 10097 DKS:First Year Experience - 1cr

Well based on your coursework you may actually have a lot of options. Briefly looking Social Science may be an option. I understand your desire to finish this process, I really do but you want to try and get as much out of this as you can. My advice would be to apply and send your transcripts to the school. This will get you an official academic evaluation the only issue is that it is 75 application fee. I know there are members on here that have degree outlines for this specific degree and if I find it I will post it for you. I know cooksdera earned that degree before so there is a reference for you. Either way check out the degree plan for it here: Thomas Edison State College: Social Sciences

If that doesn't work maybe humanities: Thomas Edison State College: Humanities

Either way I will look up the degree wikia if I can find it I will let you know
I found this one: Sanantone's BA in Social Science - Degree Forum Wiki

and the humanities one: Sanantone's BA in Humanities - Degree Forum Wiki

These are just guidelines obviously and it is up to TESC to decide what they will take; however, TESC is very test friendly as well as ACE/NCCRS friendly. Either way give it a look and see what you think.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
Welcome to the forum, ksedar 2408

Another thing to keep in mind is that after you apply to TESC (stating that you want, for example, a BA in Social Science) and TESC makes your academic evaluation, you will be able to play with the "What if I change my program of study" button on the academic evaluation page in Online Student Services. There you can choose any TESC degree from the list and see how your existing credits fit to this degree requirement and what is left for you to take. This way you can find the degree for which you need the least amount of credits to earn and then enroll into TESC for this new chosen degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,580 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,417 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,157 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,954 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,291 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,743 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,699 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,144 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,774 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77