Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC - Insights - Social Psychology 379 textbook
Can anyone who has taken this class tell me specifically how much the "Insights" textbook was used?

Were there assignments based on it? Did the tests ask things that were only in that book?

Also, if anyone happens to still have theirs, can you tell me what a few of the titles were so I can tell if I have the correct one? I have a feeling I don't.
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits
JBtesc,
I just received my copy of the Insights study guide yesterday as they were out of stock for over a month. The book is softcover with 298 pages. The title page reads: "Insights Social Psychology. A customized Psychology Reader. Compiled by Thomas Edison State College Social Psychology"

By the end of the third week, we are supposed to have read the first 136 pages of the study guide.

Send me a message if you have any questions
Over a month? Holy cow.

Are the written assignments connected to the Insights book?

Also, can you tell me some of the titles of the articles in your edition?

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

FEMA - 12 Credits
I would say about 50% of the assignments require reading the study guide. I don't even know if Amazon carries this version. Compared to the study guide for Experimental Psych, Insights is a gold-bound, encyclopedia. I think it is definitely worth the $52.

Here are the first few chapter/article titles:
What is Social Psychology?
Social Psychology's Three Little Pigs
A Procedure for Explaining Experiments Involving Deception
Self-Reports: how Questions Shape The Answers
Virtual Subjects: Using the Internet as an Alternative Source of Subjects and Research Environment
Social Psychologists reflect on their History
They saw a Game: A case study
the Seven Sins of Memory: Insights from psychology And Cognitive Neuroscience
Forming Impressions o Personality
I only have two of those. What a racket! Regular textbooks aren't expensive enough they decided to come up with a super special CUSTOM one! omg lol

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this, I really appreciate it. Smile

FEMA - 12 Credits
Anytime, my friend. Let me know if theres anything else I can help with
Ok sorry to be a p.i.t.a but... lol

I'm trying to piece this together. Because my book does seem to have *some* of the correct titles, I decided to see if I could find the others online, and some of them are available for public use/printing. I just printed a couple of the articles I found online, but then I realized the book has "questions" that the original article of course does not.

I found this thread; http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...379-a.html

On this forum, but it's old.

Are you currently taking the course?
If so, could you compare the Module 1 assignments to this?

It says "written assignment, answer all questions".
Which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, seems awfully vague, and there are quite a few questions in the Insights book I have corresponding with those articles.

If you could copy/paste the Module 1 assignment for me I would be forever in your debt!
I know I'm asking a lot but I'm desperate here! lol

copy/paste from that old thread , does it look like this still?
"Reading Assignment for Module 1

Baron, Branscombe, and Byrne, Social Psychology, chapters 1 and 3

Insights, pp. 1–53 and 79–99:

Arthur Aron and Elaine N. Aron, "What Is Psychology?" 1–10
Donelson R. Forsyth, "Social Psychology's Three Little Pigs," 11–12
Judson Mills, "A Procedure for Explaining Experiments Involving Deception," 13–19
Norbert Schwarz, "Self-Reports: How the Questions Shape the Answers," 20–34
Michael A. Smith and Brant Leigh, "Virtual Subjects: Using the Internet as an Alternative Source of Subjects and Research Environment," 35–46
Arthur Aron and Elaine N. Aron, "Social Psychologists Reflect on Their History," 47–53
S. E. Asch, "Forming Impressions of Personality," 79–87
Victoria Husted Medvec, Scott F. Madey, and Thomas Gilovich, "When Less Is More: Counterfactual Thinking and Satisfaction among Olympic Medalists," 88–96
Thomas J. Schoeneman and Daniel E. Rubanowitz, "Attributions in the Advice Columns: Actors and Observers, Causes and Reasons," 97–99

And your written assignment was:
Answer all questions.

Explain how variables such as social interactions, cognitive processes, environmental variables, cultural context, and biological factors shape what social psychology is all about and how it is practiced.

Choose one of the "cutting edge" issues discussed in the text, and explain its significance in modern social psychology.

Read the advice columns in several newspapers or magazines. Choose 3 to 5 situations that you personally found interesting. Why do you think the actors or observers in these situations behaved the way they did? In your answer, consider consensus, consistency, and the distinctiveness of the person's reactions.
"

FEMA - 12 Credits
Yes, those are still the assignments. The first 2 questions are assignment #1 and the one with the 5 advice columns is assignment #2
CLEP
Spanish Language 75
American Gov't 52
A&I Literature 66
Prin. Management 67

DSST
Substance Abuse 453
Prin. of Supervision 450
Organizational Beh. 63
Fund. of Counseling 61

8 FEMA credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,219 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,731 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak ryanaryn 15 3,473 06-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Using electives in BSBA to get most of a Psychology degree done Dowew 3 1,150 06-07-2018, 05:30 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Would someone take a look at my degree plan for TESU (Psychology and History)? Nell0330 9 1,967 04-27-2018, 12:26 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Anyone has a uses TESU Business Capstone textbook I can buy Dowew 5 1,551 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Last Post: allvia
  BA Psychology degree plan/TESU Tripletmom 0 885 03-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,445 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,185 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill