Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Liberal Arts capstone - guided study mentors
Hi all,

So after my many flip flops, it appears that I am right back at the BA, Liberal Studies from TESC. I had great experiences and I don't regret going to Patten because it was affordable and I was able to get some letter grades since many of my credits were non-traditional. However, I am closer to graduation with TESC than with any other school plus we moved to North Jersey last year so the enrollment fee is no longer prohibitive. I am going to spend January finishing up whatever I need to finish and then I start the capstone in February.

I have read some of the feedback here on the liberal arts capstone at TESC and found it to be really helpful. I looked at the syllabus and did a little brainstorming about what areas I'm interested in. Does anyone have feedback on either C. Maugh or J. Marchant as mentors for the capstone? They are the two mentors who are facilitating the guided capstone.

Thank you!
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I would avoid Marchant like a plague
Brea Wrote:I would avoid Marchant like a plague

Care to elaborate? Not enough feedback/support from Marchant?

I ended up going with Casey Maugh.

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
If you are willing to go with the online class instead of the guided study, there are a number of people who have highly rated Ciacco, and I can attest personally that he is an excellent mentor!
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I honestly can't figure why anyone would choose guided study for this. The discussion posts are pretty much free points. They take almost no time and are dead easy. They're 23% of the grade in this course, and I've never gotten anything but 100% on any discussion post in any TESU class I've taken.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I'll agree with this. I have pretty much had all "A"s on my written assignments except for one that I scored B+, but I had an A for the discussion that week and all the other weeks, so the overall grade is still an A.
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
davewill Wrote:I honestly can't figure why anyone would choose guided study for this. The discussion posts are pretty much free points. They take almost no time and are dead easy. They're 23% of the grade in this course, and I've never gotten anything but 100% on any discussion post in any TESU class I've taken.

I can't speak for everyone who chooses a guided but my reason is simply time. Yes, I understand that the discussion posts make up 23% of the grade. I also understand that the feedback from other students can be helpful. But reciprocating that feedback takes up time. I think another reason (for myself and perhaps for others) is learning preferences. I have never been a fan of class discussion forums as I find them dizzying. It was a tough decision but this is what I think works best for me. Maybe I'm wrong but class starts today so here goes!

SweetSecret Wrote:If you are willing to go with the online class instead of the guided study, there are a number of people who have highly rated Ciacco, and I can attest personally that he is an excellent mentor!

Thank you, SweetSecret. I have already started the guided study today. I've heard good things about Dr. Maugh so I'm still hopeful at this point. I see you are class of 2016. When do you graduate? I'm aiming for June.

ladylearner Wrote:Thank you, SweetSecret. I have already started the guided study today. I've heard good things about Dr. Maugh so I'm still hopeful at this point. I see you are class of 2016. When do you graduate? I'm aiming for June.

I'm honestly not sure, I've spent 16 years accumulating credits at this point, so now it seems like I'm not in a rush. If I pass all of my coursework for this term (6 credits) then all of my required credits will be done, but I'll still need 9 credits to meet the PPC residency. I plan to enroll to take those 9 credits as teceps during the march term, so they would be completed by May 22nd if I pass everything. I think that means I'll be eligible for summer graduation. My only issue though is it really depends on how quick DVR can get me the check to pay for the teceps and graduation fee, since they decided to break up the payment into two terms.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com Employee Discount natshar 5 11,898 09-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,206 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,292 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,814 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU 2nd Area of Study mysonx3 20 4,189 08-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,709 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  TESU LIberal Studies, what qualifies jeffreymb 9 2,247 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rlw74