Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Living Expense Loans
I served active Army for 6 years- what was then 31 series, and now is 25 series. Smile

I had a pretty good experience overall, but if I had to do it again, I'd choose a different branch, that's all, based upon my experience, what I saw working with members of other services and the experiences of my stepbrothers in the Air Force and Navy.
LOL when I deployed w/ the Army I talked with an Army Colonel and he asked what I did.

"I'm a programmer."

Incredulous: "That's all?"

I wound up doing a LOT more in that job, including S3 work for a critically undermanned staff. Interesting experience actually. I have a tremendous respect for the Army. A lot of people don't get it, we just have two very different missions and therefore a different focus. Army is about taking and occupying ground to achieve dominance over an opponent, AF is about providing effects across the entire spectrum (tactical, operational, strategic) through rapid deployment of air power. Despite the statements to the contrary, I don't consider Kosovo to be a "war won solely by airpower". Besides, we still had to have people on the ground (combat controllers, rangers, etc) to spot the targets. You can't really win a war without both forces working together.

Interestingly while I was doing that I considered going the warrant officer route. Sounded neat. You get to specialize and be recognized as an expert in your technical field, get saluted, get extra pay, and don't actually have to sell your soul to be an officer... :roflol:
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dcan Wrote:LOL when I deployed w/ the Army I talked with an Army Colonel and he asked what I did.

"I'm a programmer."

Incredulous: "That's all?"

I wound up doing a LOT more in that job, including S3 work for a critically undermanned staff. Interesting experience actually. I have a tremendous respect for the Army. A lot of people don't get it, we just have two very different missions and therefore a different focus. Army is about taking and occupying ground to achieve dominance over an opponent, AF is about providing effects across the entire spectrum (tactical, operational, strategic) through rapid deployment of air power.

That's so true, The best experiences I have are when I'm deployed. That's where I've been able to work with all the other services. Over here it's NATO so we have a few other countries here as well working with us. I'm teaching the Polish and Turkish guys Spanish hilarious (And no, not just the bad words)
My Senior Airman leaves next month, can't tell you his AF MOS but he's an IT guy. I put him in for a Joint Commendation Medal, he is a hard worker and I'm glad it got approved. We're training up his replacement now.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Yeah, I was hanging w/ the Afghan guards one day and the interpreter was telling me about this one guard's "special abilities". He said he would teach me to speak some Pashto so I agreed, having already learned a little anyway. He had me recite some lines. After that he made a big deal, put his hand on his heart and shook my hand. Every time I walked by him after that he did the same thing.

I found out later he claimed to be able to say a prayer and make snakes disappear, and heal people, and stuff like that.

I think it turns out I'm the only Western member of some obscure Pashto Islamic Animist Cult. :coolgleam:
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Move to another town or state for a job if you have to.
Borrowing money to survive on for a year while in school is a bad move in this economy or in any really.
There are jobs that people don't want out there and I bet you can find one if you branch out. Put an ad on craigslist in the mean time offering to help with chores.
Another option is to join the military. They will pay for all of your clep tests, give you healthcare and a GI bill. You will also be trained. They would be lucky to have you.
Go post in the military forum and see what advice you get.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
dcan Wrote:I think it turns out I'm the only Western member of some obscure Pashto Islamic Animist Cult. :coolgleam:

hilarious

So, what special powers did you get?
Having read your post. I'm surprised that you haven't gone after a brick and mortar education as that would supply your housing along with saddling you with debt.

There is an old Hebrew proverb that says "the borrower is slave to the lender and the rich rule over the poor"

Slipping into the college system to sort out your life woes isn't really smart in the current economy however as some have suggested here working at anything and doing some prep work for college like setting out your education plan, which CLEP exams you'll need to take e.c.t (it's what I'm doing now) I don't want to be saddled with debt and depending on the situation repayments kick in six months after you cease full time education.

If you need somewhere to live there are other volunteer jobs that sometimes provide housing and food but using a student loan to provide for you while you study isn't going to set you up for a good future. Take a deep breath and look at your situation if you are receiving unemployment then use that time to work on getting a low paying job and then work on getting those CLEP exams you'll need taken. I know its not easy to work at KFC or McD's but you can get four hours a night and work on your credits that way too! Those jobs usually feed you too! You may want to look into free clinics of America and also the discount pharmacy card to offset the fact that you don't have insurance and look at a cathasrophe insurance policy to get you by for a while.

working as an independant contractor as a receptionist from home can help too and is worth looking into.

I hope you calmly make a decision that suits you best but don't be rushed into college debt as if that's going to save you from the recession as it really isn't

take care and good luck

Des
Derek, I think what a lot of people don't understand, if they are not unemployed right now, is how hard it is to get ANY job never mind a good one....I am a 40 year old former business owner that has been unemployed for a year now. I have an AS and am going back to school for a bachelor degree. I am a guardian ad litem, nationally certified guardian and also have a few medical certifications. After submitting applications and resumes everywhere for the past year and begging everyone I know, I have only had 3 interviews....I had one job offer for our local headstart program as a family service associate....the job requires a degree and they offered me $18k!!! That's right, $18k a year.....So, I have decided to do the same thing, Derek. I have just about lost everything I ever worked for in this past year since losing my business and am going back to TESC on a credit card. I don't have another choice as far as I can see. If I take the financial aid, then I have to take a full load of classes. I'll still owe more than if I just test out and get out. I do agree with the others that you must test out of everything you can. I learned that a long time ago....Testing will save you thousands on tuition....take cleps and dantes until you can't stand it anymore and then take a look at the savings....It is significant....Don't enroll in TESC until you are almost ready to graduate and you will save so much money....Also go to the FEMA website and take their IS courses....they are FREE and certain ones will transfer seemlessly to TESC as free electives...for a bachelors, you can transfer in 27 FREE FEMA credits!!!! That will save you a bundle....I have study guides I can email you and the list of acceptable FEMA courses at TESC....send me your email and I'll be glad to send them to you...You can do this!!! You don't need $25k.....
bsinsc Wrote:Derek, I think what a lot of people don't understand, if they are not unemployed right now, is how hard it is to get ANY job never mind a good one....I am a 40 year old former business owner that has been unemployed for a year now. I have an AS and am going back to school for a bachelor degree. I am a guardian ad litem, nationally certified guardian and also have a few medical certifications. After submitting applications and resumes everywhere for the past year and begging everyone I know, I have only had 3 interviews....I had one job offer for our local headstart program as a family service associate....the job requires a degree and they offered me $18k!!! That's right, $18k a year.....So, I have decided to do the same thing, Derek. I have just about lost everything I ever worked for in this past year since losing my business and am going back to TESC on a credit card. I don't have another choice as far as I can see. If I take the financial aid, then I have to take a full load of classes. I'll still owe more than if I just test out and get out. I do agree with the others that you must test out of everything you can. I learned that a long time ago....Testing will save you thousands on tuition....take cleps and dantes until you can't stand it anymore and then take a look at the savings....It is significant....Don't enroll in TESC until you are almost ready to graduate and you will save so much money....Also go to the FEMA website and take their IS courses....they are FREE and certain ones will transfer seemlessly to TESC as free electives...for a bachelors, you can transfer in 27 FREE FEMA credits!!!! That will save you a bundle....I have study guides I can email you and the list of acceptable FEMA courses at TESC....send me your email and I'll be glad to send them to you...You can do this!!! You don't need $25k.....

I wish this was a question.

In any event, I think Derek left.
Cookderosa,

Not sure what you mean? I hope Derek did not leave. I hope I did not scare him off, but I'm being truthful when I say how bad things are. We all just have to keep doing what we can to survive right now until this economic crisis is over.

Jane

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,636 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Should living in New Jersey affect my decision between COSC and TESU? SAmendola 4 1,550 04-09-2018, 10:53 PM
Last Post: rlw74
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,449 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,194 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,987 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,347 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,766 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,743 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,269 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,875 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby