Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Natural Sciences/Math degree
Okay, now obviously I understand that you guys can't give any official transcript evaluation, yadda yadda yadda. I just want opinions.

General Education Requirements
English Composition (6 credits)
  • AP Language (3)
  • AP Literature (3)
Humanities (12 credits) *must include at least 2 subject areas
  • Korean (3)
  • Music Appreciation (3)
  • Literature and the Natural World (3)
  • Philosophy 102 (3)
Social Sciences (12 credits) *must include at least 2 subject areas
  • Psychology 101 (3)
  • Sociology 101 (3)
  • History 101 (3)
  • History 102 (3)
Natural Sciences and Mathematics (12 credits)
  • One college level math course required: MAT220 (4)
  • One computer science course required: CISM125 (3)
  • Earth Science (4)
  • Environmental Science (4)
General Education Electives (18)
  • Calculus 1 (5)
  • Calculus 2 (5)
  • Calculus 3 (5)
  • ECON315 (4)

Area of Study: Natural Sciences/Mathematics (33)
*At least 3 different subjects must be included. Must earn at least 12 credits in one subject area. Maximum of 18 credits can be earned in any one subject area. Maximum of two 100 level courses. Minimum of 18 credits at 300 or 400 level.
  • MAT332 (4)
  • MAT403 (4)
  • MAT421 (4)
  • MAT404 (4)
  • MAT431 (4)
  • Biology 103 (4)
  • Computer Programming C++ (3)
  • *Plan to take Natural Science CLEP (6)
  • *Plan to take Environment and Humanity DSST (3)

Free Electives (27)
  • Population and Public Policy (4)
  • Internet and American Life (4)
  • American Family (4)
  • GOVT110 (3)
  • HIS103 (3)
  • HIS104 (3)
  • CDCC140 (3)
  • Sign Language (3)
  • Speakers Series (1)
  • Concepts of Physical Fitness (1)
  • EDUC105 (1)

So as I see it, I just need to take the Natural Science CLEP and the Environment & Humanity DSST. That will total 9 credits. Those count as 200 level, right?

And I just want to make sure I understand what I'll have to pay. I'll need to pay a $75 registration fee, annual enrollment fee of $1533, technology fee of $113, and eventually a graduation fee of $272. That's it, right? I apply, get my transcripts evaluated (and take the 2 tests I need), and assuming they go for it, I graduate? Please oh please let this be it. And if it is, can someone give me a realistic timeline of how fast I can get it done? A new job opportunity just opened up at work and I really want it, and this degree would help me so much.
The Nat Sci CLEP gets 100 level credit. Environment & Humanity DSST gets 200 level credit. You cannot have more than 18 credits of any one subject in the area of study, but you have 20 math credits there. You may be able to switch the Nat Sci CLEP to Gen Ed and the Enviro Science and Earth Science courses to the Area of Study assuming the latter two aren't evaluated as 100 level courses.

There are some other ways you can do like switch Calculus I into the Nat Sci/Math Gen Ed and either Earth or Enviro science out. I'm not sure how C++ evaluates- probably to 200 level.

It really will be determined by how the Earth and Enviro Science courses are evaluated. Then you can look and switching some things around and then determine any additional exams to be taken.
Either way you better hurry up. The October dedline to apply for graduation is coming quick and then you wouln't actually graduate until December.

After you apply it takes SEVERAL weeks for TESC to process you, receive and evaulate what transcripts you have, and set you up with an academic evaluation.

The sooner you pay the nominal application fee the sooner you'll know exactly where you stand instead of relying solely on this board.

Send in the transcripts, get evaluated and then you'll know. At that point you don't have to enroll and you can take any CLEPS or DANTES, etc that you MAY need and have them sent to TESC. When yiu have met the degree requirements as outlined by a TESC advisor, then you can enroll and graduate.

CAUTION: There's been unclarified speculatin that you MAY need to take one course through TESC in order to graduate there. I never had to worry about that as I took several courses there, but you may want to call them and ask.
dblhelx Wrote:Either way you better hurry up. The October dedline to apply for graduation is coming quick and then you wouln't actually graduate until December.

After you apply it takes SEVERAL weeks for TESC to process you, receive and evaulate what transcripts you have, and set you up with an academic evaluation.

The sooner you pay the nominal application fee the sooner you'll know exactly where you stand instead of relying solely on this board.

Send in the transcripts, get evaluated and then you'll know. At that point you don't have to enroll and you can take any CLEPS or DANTES, etc that you MAY need and have them sent to TESC. When yiu have met the degree requirements as outlined by a TESC advisor, then you can enroll and graduate.

CAUTION: There's been unclarified speculatin that you MAY need to take one course through TESC in order to graduate there. I never had to worry about that as I took several courses there, but you may want to call them and ask.

I second this. Study for and take your DANTES exam while you wait for TESC to process your application and transcripts. Then, when you take your exam, have it designated to be sent to TESC on the spot. Even if you're transcripts were not yet evaluated, it will be placed into the queue for evaluation and will be fine.
TESC *should* evaluate your credit for the best possible outcome. But, always double check how they have done it to see if there isn't a better utility possible. In any event, you're almost done! Congrats!
Another source of 200 level credit is Straigherline Anatomy & Physiology I&II.
I took both plus the DSST Environment course to get my required 9 credits of 200 level.
Then I took BIO CLEP for 6CR of 100 level.

I had some upper level from a previous life and am adding TESC's Environmental Science class for 6 CR UL and Computer Organization for another 3 CR UL.

Good luck.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
TESC does not require that you take a course with them to graduate, but you will not get a GPA. If you want a GPA you need to apply , and enroll then sign up for and then take a 12 week course.

If you don't care about the GPA you could take your 2 exams while waiting for your eval. then once that comes through 4-5 weeks if you pester them, you can enroll and request graduation immediately if they accept everything.

You do not say what your upper level math classes were if they are something like differential equations and statistics and a higher level calculus would be considered different subject areas. If you give us a plan with both course numbers and names we could probably help more with probable placements.

Once you complete all requirements you can apply for graduation and they will evaluate everything, if you meet the requirements they will send you a letter that says you have met the requirements and the degree will be conferred on the next graduation date. Once you have the letter you can say you have earned your degree and most companies will except that.

If you don't need a GPA or class we are talking ~5 weeks for unofficial eval. ~ 1 week for enrollment to activate ~ 4 weeks for review of graduation application ~ 1 week for letter. If you need a class add `14 weeks to complete class and get a grade. So we are talking a minimum of if you really pester them you have a VERY slight chance of making the Oct 1 deadline and you could have your letter by Nov1, but I doubt you could pull this off. Probably you are talking making the January 1st deadline for graduation application and having your letter by Feb 1st. Sometimes if you call the registrars office and explain you are applying for a job they will rush things along and you might be able to get your letter within a week of Graduation application.

One last note even if you can't make this jobs deadline GET THIS DONE you are so close and who knows when the next job opportunity will come up, if you already have the degree it will be much easier.

PS you are so close have you thought about putting an application in for the job saying you are completing your degree and giving an expecting completion date? Sometimes that will keep you in the running if they know you are that close.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,156 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,819 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,943 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero