Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Pell Grant Question...Help Please...
I am in the process of waiting on my evaluation at TESC. I'm transferring in around 100 credits and was planning on taking a few more CLEP and DANTES to finish up. I got an email today saying I have been awarded $2400in Pell Grant money. I'd love to use this money for the tuition and enrollment expenses I'll have to pay. I looked up the Pell Grant website and it says the money can be used for educational expenses, but I've been told by TESC that I have to take 6 credits with them to get even part of the money. Does anybody know anything about this?? Thanks!
You have to take actual classes to get the PELL grant. In fact I think 6 hours will be part time and mean you would be eligible for only about half the grant. Its not the school so much as its the pell guidelines.

This is the reason I opted for COSC, they will allow you to take the classes elsewhere, like CSU. 12 credits there is less than $2000.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
To receive financial aid of any kind, whether Pell grant or student loans, you must take a minimum of 6 credits (and not just any class type - only online or guided study count towards Fin. Aid award) during each semester you've been awarded. That is a requirement from the Feds, not the TESC office being sticklers. There is no getting around that requirement, and they cannot bend the rules on it. You will receive the full award - not half - so long as you take those 6 online or GS credits. (I think the 12 credit req. is for state funds, but Pell/loans are federal. I've only taken 9 and was awarded the full award for the term.)

Also, if Fin Aid has your award split over multiple terms, your award will also be split over those terms. For instance, if your award letter has your enrollment in November, February, May, August terms, then the disbursement of that $2,400 Pell grant will be at a rate of $600 each of the four terms, so you would have to take minimum 6 credits all four terms to receive all of it. With only 20 credits left to earn, hopefully they did not stretch your required terms so far out. I cannot speak to whether that can be adjusted, I've never needed that hurdle moved to ask.

Lastly, unless you're going to enroll under Comprehensive Tuition, you can -only- take guided study or online course types and have it paid with any financial aid award money. In other words, if you take 2 online courses and one e-pack, you will be invoiced for the e-pack course. The only way to get course types other than online or GS covered is under Comprehensive Tuition, and only if you've already met the 6 credit online/GS requirement for the term. (It counts towards your "freebie" 36 credit bank total, rather than being billed at the per-credit rate.)
mrs.b Wrote:You will receive the full award - not half - so long as you take those 6 online or GS credits. (I think the 12 credit req. is for state funds, but Pell/loans are federal. I've only taken 9 and was awarded the full award for the term.).

im surprised by this, though I believe it. As mentioned, its federal guidlines, but I guess somewhat open to local interpretation.

If they are giving full award for 2 classes its probably worth it for you....
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:im surprised by this, though I believe it. As mentioned, its federal guidlines, but I guess somewhat open to local interpretation.

If they are giving full award for 2 classes its probably worth it for you....

I panicked when I first enrolled, because I only noticed that same reference after I'd made all my arrangements and was preparing for the term to start. Luckily, I got the one polite Financial Aid rep on the phone, and she patiently eased my concerns that 6+ is all that is needed to receive the federal award. Still, with only 20 credits left, that may be tough to stretch out if that full award is wanted or needed.
thanks for the information.....I think I'm clear on it now....I think I might just go ahead and test out and pay out of pocket and be done.....Sure would be nice if the feds would ease up on those regulations especially for us adult students.....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,391 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  GPA Question mysonx3 10 2,619 08-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,717 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Equivalency Question dexter1326 4 1,958 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Course equivalency question. jbwyo 6 1,945 08-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Individualised Studies Question Tedium 12 2,794 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Replacing LL with UL duplicate course question (COSC) ReyMysterioso 6 1,975 07-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC transfer question Paramedic12 8 1,939 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Tedium