Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Per Credit Plan - Residency Requirement
I was just browsing the TESC website and noticed something that I believe has been discussed, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention again. I can't remember if the applicability to the intended degree has been discussed.

According to some of the notes on my yet to be completed academic evaluation, the residency credits need not apply to the degree. It makes me wonder if one could get away with taking TECEP exams that duplicate current credits while still meeting the requirement.

"Students in these enrollment plans must earn twelve (12) semesterhours of Thomas Edison State College credit toward an associatedegree and twenty-four (24) semester hours of Thomas Edison StateCollege credit toward a baccalaureate degree. These credits do not need to be applied to your degree requirements, but you must have earned a passing grade. Thomas Edison State College creditincludes:Guided Study/Online/Blended/e-Pack courses, TECEP exams and/orPortfolio Assessment." -TESC website
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
I think this would be ok, I have been checking and reading up on this plan myself, I think i'm going to use it.
I would assume that they would use the TECEP for the degree and count the other credit as the duplicate, or bump it to free electives and kick something else out.
If you did Eng 101 with TESC and PF then surely they would use the TESC credit for the degree.
Aleks: Beginning, Intermediate, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics
Straighterline: Cultural Anthropology, Religion, Biology, Environmental Science, Philosophy, Eng Comp I, C++.
Working on - Eng Comp II, Intro Comm
Sophia Intro to Psych
TEEX: CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
NFA: Q318, Q118, Q137
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences

Goal: Complete Gen Ed. requirements.
My initial evaluation had 21 credits to graduation. And, because I want to use TECEP to fulfill the Per Credit Tuition Plan and residency, I asked the advising team whether the 8 TECEPS in my signature will do. Few days later, they updated my evaluation and left me with 30 more credits to graduate. Aside Penn Foster's Fin Management and Saylor's Marketing, the remaining credits were to come from TECEP. It was my assumption that adjusting my credits from 21 to 30 meant that TESC kicked away some of my earlier earned credits to pave way for the TECEPS.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
If TESC advisers work the same way Excelsior advisers, they will not advise on courses that don't apply to the degree. I haven't dealt with this personally, but the note that I pasted from their site appears to say that any TECEP will work. I guess the only way we will know for sure is when someone attempts to meet the residency requirements with TECEP exams that don't apply.

Your assumption is correct, you only need use 12/24 TESC credits to meet residency in your overall degree plan. There is no core/area of study stipulation.

Here is a list of my TECEP exam recommendations. You could quite easily meet the residency requirement.

Gen Ed Options:
Comp: ENC101, ENC102 (see notes)
Hum: COM210, ENG201, JOU110
SOS: POS101, PSY270, SOC210, HIS126
NS/M: CIS107, MAT105, BIO208

Business (ASBA/BSBA) Options:
ENG201, POS101, COM210, MAR321, MAR322, MAR323, CIS107, BUS311, BUS421*

Blue=Area of Study. Red=Business Core. (CIS107 fits into both sections.)

Notes:

The English Composition exams seem great! By description, I would definitely choose them over the CLEP.

ENC101 - the English Composition I examination is a two-hour test of your ability to write in English in a manner that is grammatically correct, clear, and appropriate to the particular audience being addressed. The examination calls for four brief responses, one or two paragraphs in length, and one longer and more thoroughly developed response (the essay). A passing score is 70 out of 100 points.
ENC102 - The English Composition II examination is a four-hour test of your ability to write English that is grammatically correct and clear, while using (3) written source material appropriately in a short research paper. A passing score is 70 out of 100 points.

* BUS421 (Optional) - Strategic Management is the BSBA capstone. This exam was very difficult but if you allow yourself plenty of time to study, it's doable. As a much easier alternative, you could also transfer in Penn Foster's Strategic Business Management course. My Advice: Those who test well, study thoroughly and have business experience should attempt the TECEP. Others, I would recommend Penn Foster. Either way, both options are less grueling than the actual TESC course, which is a ton of work.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricbrac brings up the point where I am not sure how to read the academic evaluation. According to page 5 of the evaluation, the residency credits don't have to be part of your degree plan. I quoted the section straight from the evaluation in the first post. There is no mention Area of Focus or core.

I am trying to get a good grasp on this one, because if it actually means what I believe it means, a person could take any 8 TECEP exams and meet the residency requirement regardless of how they apply to a degree. This could be huge for those who don't have room in their plan for extra TECEP exams.
In case anyone is interested who hasn't see the academic evaluation, I have attached a blank evaluation for the BSBA-CIS.

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">Blank Academic Eval.pdf (Size: 153.24 KB / Downloads: 1)

UptonSinclair Wrote:I am trying to get a good grasp on this one, because if it actually means what I believe it means, a person could take any 8 TECEP exams and meet the residency requirement regardless of how they apply to a degree.

Must give credit where due, I would never have noticed this plan had it not been for Sanantone. Once I read the requirements, I was shocked.

TESC leveled the playing field with COSC and Excelsior in terms of pricing. The pay per credit tuition plan is a wonderful opportunity for those students testing out of the majority of their degree(s); as well as a gold mine for out of state and international students. The cost benefit is simply amazing! Depending on the degree program (capstone, etc), NJ residents will still need to run numbers to determine which plan is best.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
TESC courses, in whichever form, will always take precedent. What the student need do is plan the credits accordingly, not wait until down to the last 21 credits. (Using Saharapost's unfortunate example.) It really depends on the degree program, certain plans have requirements that cannot be duplicated or substituted. (Ex. HR/OM - Organizational Theory, Marketing - Market Research, Ops Mgmt - Quality Assurance.) In that respect, yes, you will lose credits to gain residency, especially if your free electives are already filled. The BSBA has a limit of 6cr in free electives. But at the end of the day realizing the huge savings this plan would afford, if those lost credits were CLEP/DSST exams or cheap community college credits, I would not have a problem letting them drop to the additional courses section.

Also, keep in mind, DO NOT only refer to the college's software to judge accepted courses. Research your plan, if the courses meet alternate requirements, you can call advising and have courses moved around and/or planned. What they can do is PIN accepted/approved courses to a certain section to fill/complete the area. The other courses will then resort themselves to open slots.

Hope this adds clarity!

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
Refer to the following charts for tuition costs/fees. Selection the Right Plan and TECEP costs. In the Pay Per Credit Plan column ONLY course pricing* was used (OL/GS/Epack). Even PLA courses are cheaper.

First, do a quick cut and paste into an excel spreadsheet. To allow for capstone courses where required, highlight the 9/12 cr rows for Associate's, and 21/24 cr rows for Bachelor's. Substitute 3/4 and 7/8 TECEP exams accordingly at $102/3cr NJ residents and/or $108/3cr for out of state/International students; you will now see those prices drastically deflate. Last, sum the total costs for all your planned courses: CLEP/DSST, Aleks, SL, Penn Foster, and any other alternate cheap credit you can find. Whoo Hoooo!

Finally, to those extremely ambitious students (you know who you are!), double down. Complete an Associate's and Bachelor's at the same time for one graduation fee. Make sure four out of the eight exams fit both degree plans; need to also meet the residency requirement for the Associate's. Appears easier when using 4 Gen Ed exams and completing the AA or ASBA (no capstone req'd) with your choice of Bachelor's.

Can you see why I'm so excited! :hurray:

PPC Tuition Plan*
NJ residents $395/cr
Out-of-state residents $476/cr

I created a quick Pay Per Credit vs Enrolled Options Cost Comparison spreadsheet that can be used for reference. It highlights Approx Base Costs when utilizing the 24cr residency scenario for both in-state and out-of-state/International students. Source: TESC College Catalog 2013-2014.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Less than 1 minute ago">Tuition Comparison PPC to EO (DF).xlsx (Size: 14.47 KB / Downloads: 1)

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,360 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,273 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,776 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,750 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,041 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Residency waiver @ TESU MNomadic 8 2,661 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: katelynn
  Residency waiver for certificates Ideas 2 1,290 08-26-2018, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,302 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,652 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero