Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC - Psyc TECEP's -what order do you suggest?
I am on the mad rush to get the last credits for my BA in Psych completed and in to TESC by April 1 for the June 1 graduation. I thought I would have time to squeeze in some accelerated LSU courses or Ohio U or even Rio Salado. I have finally just decided to do what I have to do and take most of the exams via TECEP. When there is the CLEP or DSST option, I will do that first and see how it goes and then do the TECEP. I have confirmed that I have time to get them all done and back to TESC before April 1 since they are all scantron exams and no essays.

I am taking Human Growth & D tomorrow as a CLEP. There is no way I will not pass it b/c I have been studying way too much for it. I got every question on 2 of the Peterson test right yesterday. Granted I had already taken the test and had used it to study but I feel confident that I am more than ready.

Educational Psych would seem the logical CLEP to take next and I am ready for that one too.

What order do you suggest any of the next exams? I only need another six but am totally open to suggestions on what to take and what to skip. I have all of the exam specific notes printed out too and have access to all of the books at our library. I searched for every book for every test and our library has them all. Also I confirmed with TESC that I can take more than 2 a month and have made arrangements to take them all by the beginning of March. ( I received an email from someone there advising that I could only take 2 a month, but that is not correct).

Social Psych - TECEP. Excelsior also has an exam.

Experimental Psych - TECEP --- Excelsior also has an exam.

Psychology of Personality - TECEP

Thanatology - TECEP

Alcohol Abuse -- TECEP -- I will give the DSST a try first

Substance Abuse -- TECEP -- I will give the DSST a try first.
( I have to clarify which of these TESC will give credit for...both?)

Behavior Modification -- TECEP

Intro to Counseling -- TECEP --I will give the DSST a try first

Organizational Behav Psych TECEP -- DSST

Excelsior has a few more tests but I just do not think that I will have time to take a test with another school and be guaranteed that the scores will be to TESC in time. I know that doing a TECEP will cost more but I weighed it out and in the end it will be better to be done and ready to move on to my next adventure - a Masters in Counseling.

Thanks for helping me to keep my head on straight and suggesting the best order to take the exams.
Here's the groupings I'd suggest, based on the ones I've taken. I didn't neccessarily take them in this order myself, this is just what I've found overlapping while studying for each:

Psych of Personality TECEP after CLEP HG&D & Ed Psych (overlap of theories)
Experimental Psych (info will come up again on other tests)
Organizational Behavior & Social Psych (overlap of theories)
Behavior Modification Techniques & Intro to Counseling (moderate overlap), then Alcohol Abuse & Substance Abuse (overlap on treatments)

Thanatology is not one I've taken or planned for myself, but my guess is that it would fit best in the HG&D cluster.
[SIZE="1"]
TESC, BA Psychology (Done, Graduation June 2009)
TESC, BSBA/Gen Mgmt. (In Progress)

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
DSSTs Substance Abuse, Prin. of Supervision & Human Res. Mgmt.
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
Thanks for the info, as always you are a huge help. Off to update my ever changing spreadsheet and back to studying.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="6"]Joanne[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"] all exams completed in FEBUARY 2009
Human Growth & Development - 73 English Comp w/ Essay CLEP - 74 Educational Psych - CLEP...69
Social Psychology - TECEP Behavior Modif in Counseling -TECEP
Psychology of Personality - TECEP Experimental Psychology - TECEP Substance Abuse - DSST 441

all exams completed in MARCH 2009
Foundations of Counseling -DSST - 64 ALEKS Statistics for Behavior Sciences Organizational

[U]DONE! Bachelors of Arts in Psychology as of March 10! // Graduated June 2009[/U]

Moving On:
Off to Hawaii to Celebrate- March 14 / Start Masters in Education - April 1 / Praxis 1 - April 27/ Praxis 2 - July 2009 - 190 out of 200
Liberty University - Masters in Teaching - Elementary Ed - 30 credits completed as of February 2010. Love the School, Program, Staff and Courses! GRADUATING IN MAY WITH MASTERS IN TEACHING !

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Agree with the testing order posted by lwmcc.

Op, One thing I noticed but could be wrong about...

I was interested in saving $$ by taking Intro to Counseling DSST instead of TECEP too. When I looked it up in the college catalog (accessible through their web site) it's not listed under Dante's social sciences tesc accepts.

When the time comes I'll have to ask an adviser. (I don't like calling or emailing tesc.) I'm currently enrolled but still find it hard to get easy reliable info from the school.

Good luck testing out. Smile
Just remember that TECEPs can be text book specific, which is not the case with DSST or CLEP exams (not sure about EC exams).
I know and that is a total bummer about the TECEP's but that is my only option at this point. Of course, if I had my act together six months ago, I could have taken any of the courses via Ohio University, LSU, TESC etc but where would all the excitement and fun and late nights be if I did it the old fashion way of taking the class! These self imposed deadlines of "I have to have all of my credits in the next two months" are not for the weak of heart - and no one on this board is weak of heart, that is for sure!

I have been using Cram101 and really like it. $10 a month and they have all the outlines and summaries for each text book listed on the TECEP prep sheet. They have practice tests that can be multi choice, True False, Matching and a Mastery test too. I have printed out the outline with the main points listed for each chapter and then use the guided notes to get through the textbook. This will keep me from trying to memorize and learn every tidbit as the outline will indicate what would be considered a major topic. Each chapter has about 50 concepts, key words etc listed so in the end I have a good size folder going.

I also found the study guides that go along with some of the textbooks so I figure that will help to whittle down some of the info. I am open to any and all suggestions on how to best prep for the TECEP's.

Thanks!
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="6"]Joanne[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"] all exams completed in FEBUARY 2009
Human Growth & Development - 73 English Comp w/ Essay CLEP - 74 Educational Psych - CLEP...69
Social Psychology - TECEP Behavior Modif in Counseling -TECEP
Psychology of Personality - TECEP Experimental Psychology - TECEP Substance Abuse - DSST 441

all exams completed in MARCH 2009
Foundations of Counseling -DSST - 64 ALEKS Statistics for Behavior Sciences Organizational

[U]DONE! Bachelors of Arts in Psychology as of March 10! // Graduated June 2009[/U]

Moving On:
Off to Hawaii to Celebrate- March 14 / Start Masters in Education - April 1 / Praxis 1 - April 27/ Praxis 2 - July 2009 - 190 out of 200
Liberty University - Masters in Teaching - Elementary Ed - 30 credits completed as of February 2010. Love the School, Program, Staff and Courses! GRADUATING IN MAY WITH MASTERS IN TEACHING !

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Sam Wrote:I was interested in saving $$ by taking Intro to Counseling DSST instead of TECEP too. When I looked it up in the college catalog (accessible through their web site) it's not listed under Dante's social sciences tesc accepts.

When the time comes I'll have to ask an adviser. (I don't like calling or emailing tesc.) I'm currently enrolled but still find it hard to get easy reliable info from the school.

I found the same thing when I checked their catalog, and so I compared the outlines for the TECEP PSY-331 and the DSST, found them to be so similar as to be considered identical, and put in a HD ticket asking if I could take the DSST and have it applied as PSY-331. They advised that the 'two tests are not the same, but they will apply the DSST as PSY-331'. So, that's what's now in my official program plan. Note, though, that you probably have to ask them specifically to apply it this way, and they seem more likely to do so if you ask them before you take the test.

Also, regarding the reliable info issue, I've had the same problem with them via phone or email - one person will tell me 'X', and the next will tell me 'Y' with regard to the same issue. So, now I deal with them only via their new online HelpDesk system. This has the advantage of your request for info being stored in a DB so any info they provide is both trackable and long-term viewable; they also seem to respond more quickly, probably because HD systems of this kind can provide mgmt. reports on aged unsolved tickets and therefore provide a higher level of staff accountability than other contact methods. The HD system is available on the Help tab on MyEdison.
- Lia
[SIZE="1"]
TESC, BA Psychology (Done, Graduation June 2009)
TESC, BSBA/Gen Mgmt. (In Progress)

CLEP: Freshman Col Comp 77| Info Systems & Apps 74| Intro to Psych 79| A. & I. Literature 79| Principles of Marketing 76| Human Growth & Dev. 74| Intro to Ed. Psych 74| Biology 74| Sociology 77| Natural Sciences 69| English Comp w/ Essay 59| Macroeconomics 70| Microeconomics 69
DSST: Mgmt. Info Systems 466| Environment & Humanity 71| Organizational Behavior 73| Astronomy 72| Technical Writing 65| General Anthropology 73| Human/Cultural Geography 70| Physical Geology 58| Fundamentals of Counseling 74| Ethics in America 467
ALEKS: Business Statistics| Intro to Statistics| Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
TECEP: Behavior Mod. Techniques| Psych of Personality| Experimental Psych| Social Psych| Psych of Women | Abnormal Psych
12 Asstd. FEMAs

Current/Up Next:
DSSTs Substance Abuse, Prin. of Supervision & Human Res. Mgmt.
ALEKS PreCalculus
[/SIZE]
lwmcc Wrote:I found the same thing when I checked their catalog, and so I compared the outlines for the TECEP PSY-331 and the DSST, found them to be so similar as to be considered identical, and put in a HD ticket asking if I could take the DSST and have it applied as PSY-331. They advised that the 'two tests are not the same, but they will apply the DSST as PSY-331'. So, that's what's now in my official program plan. Note, though, that you probably have to ask them specifically to apply it this way, and they seem more likely to do so if you ask them before you take the test.

Also, regarding the reliable info issue, I've had the same problem with them via phone or email - one person will tell me 'X', and the next will tell me 'Y' with regard to the same issue. So, now I deal with them only via their new online HelpDesk system. This has the advantage of your request for info being stored in a DB so any info they provide is both trackable and long-term viewable; they also seem to respond more quickly, probably because HD systems of this kind can provide mgmt. reports on aged unsolved tickets and therefore provide a higher level of staff accountability than other contact methods. The HD system is available on the Help tab on MyEdison.
- Lia

Lia,

Many thanks for the info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  booking tecep exams shendaddy 4 1,756 08-16-2018, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 1,996 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
  TESU - apply as non-matriculating student, or TECEP only? Kelly Green 0 1,175 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM
  TECEP - Learning in the Digital Age - where does it fit? dfrecore 5 1,812 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Environmental Ethics ETH-210-TE Tecep jawbreakingrr 57 17,556 07-25-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Suggested TECEP's? High Pass Rate? omuneek 2 1,718 06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Failed Advertising TECEP nerd 12 3,202 06-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Last Post: nerd
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,872 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  TECEP to meet residency requirement Dowew 2 1,525 06-12-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dowew