Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Seeking University Status in NJ
Saharapost Wrote:Am not sure whether TESU will be the new name when university status is conferred. Is there any rule about name change? In my home country, it is often difficult for an institution of higher learning to change name. It takes ages (if at all ) for name change approval to be granted. Maybe Edison State University(ESU) or The University of the State of New Jersey (not to be confused with Rutgers- The State University of New Jersey), University of Trenton (UoT)? What name would you like TESC to change to upon university status approval?
I'd be very surprised if it becomes anything other than "Thomas Edison State University".
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
Saharapost Wrote:Am not sure whether TESU will be the new name when university status is conferred. Is there any rule about name change? In my home country, it is often difficult for an institution of higher learning to change name. It takes ages (if at all ) for name change approval to be granted. Maybe Edison State University(ESU) or The University of the State of New Jersey (not to be confused with Rutgers- The State University of New Jersey), University of Trenton (UoT)? What name would you like TESC to change to upon university status approval?

Personally, I don't think it a good idea to change a school name drastically; too much of its existing identity could/would be lost.

The new name is mentioned in the Trentonian article -
“We would have to demonstrate in the petition that we satisfy the criteria for using the name,” Pruitt said. “The secretary will evaluate the petition and then will make a decision. We expect that this time next year we will be Thomas Edison State University instead of Thomas Edison State College.” - Dr Pruitt

The only problem I can recall is is when the proposed name is too similar to an existing school. As was the case in the legal discussions between TESC and the school in Florida (Edison State College) now Florida Southwestern State College. See the article for background. Name change considered for Edison State | Fort Myers Newspaper | News, Business, Real Estate and Arts in Fort Myers FL | Florida

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
This is what a TESC rep replied under the article they posted on their facebook page in response to questions:

" If you graduate when a college receives university status, your diploma would indicate university, regardless of when you enrolled."
and
"Great questions to ask! In New Jersey, being granted university status recognizes the level and diversity of programs that the institution already offers. NJ's criteria require the institution to demonstrate that 1.) It offers a broad range of baccalaureate degree programs as well as graduate studies leading to masters' degrees in at least three areas; 2.) It has graduate students who demonstrated superior achievement at the undergraduate level; 3.) It has faculty whose competence is known beyond the institution; and 4.) It has resources to support graduate education, including laboratory facilities, library support, and financial support for graduate student and faculty research. Finally, should the Commission confer university status, they approve a name change if it finds that the institution meets all requirements. The new designation simply permits an institution to change its name to reflect its status more accurately and in a manner consistent with peer institutions around the nation. So, as a graduate of a college before it achieves university status, it is customary to continue to use the college name, but you can include (after approval) that the institution is now referred to as a university. We hope this answer helps!"

My current ambitious goal is to complete about 50 remaining credits in time for April deadline for June Graduation. However, I might have to reconsider depending on when they get University status, I think it will definitely be by either June or September grad dates.
I want TESC to shorten its name to Edison State University.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Times of Trenton Editorial Board --- Editorial: University status for Thomas Edison State College would reflect school's growing profile | NJ.com
Does anyone know what's up about TESC's university status? Seems TESC has gone mute about it...
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Saharapost Wrote:Does anyone know what's up about TESC's university status? Seems TESC has gone mute about it...

The school applied. It's government, so god know how long the board who decides this is going to take.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
According to the Annual Report for FY2015:
"University status petition complete; submitting to NJ Secretary of Higher Education in 1st quarter FY2016."

I wasn't able to easily find their FY calendar, so not sure when that would be.

EDIT: It looks like FY2016 started on July 1, 2015, so the petition should have been submitted by now according to the strategic plan.
Let's hope by June 2016 university status will be approved.
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question TESU - current status "Applicant" - how to change to "Enrolled?" Kelly Green 3 2,025 09-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU Inactive Status? eriehiker 3 1,234 06-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Last Post: davewill
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,668 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,670 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,161 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,958 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,298 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Uexcel and University of Wisconsin PA Program sanantone 0 1,143 12-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone