Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Test Out Plans Starting July 1, 2015
It looks like the Straighterline course is COM-108 TESC equivalent. Bummer. I was really hoping it would work.
Sorry, I'm very new to all of this. I was also interested in the psychology path at Thomas Edison but I see mentioned here that it's no longer viable. Is Tor a separate college to pursue a psych degree in? I had printed out a degree map from here months ago, shame it's already invalid
juniorrlopez Wrote:Sorry, I'm very new to all of this. I was also interested in the psychology path at Thomas Edison but I see mentioned here that it's no longer viable. Is Tor a separate college to pursue a psych degree in? I had printed out a degree map from here months ago, shame it's already invalid

It is Torah College Credits which is similar to Straighterline except they are NCCRS recommended. TCC is not a college but offers courses that are NCCRS recommended and some colleges will accept credits that have been evaluated by ACE or NCCRS. The TESC psychology degree is still easy to do, it just has some specific requirements that can be taken at any 2 or 4 year college or other alternative credit sources such as TCC. The BA programs require a capstone and it looks like the Psych degree requires Social Psychology of 6 credits. TESC offers Social Psychology for 6 credits while other schools offer it for 3 credits. TESC also requires History and Systems of Psychology and Physiological Psychology which can be both completed through TCC. TESC also requires Ethics in the Social Sciences. It looks like the rest can be completed easily via exams or other alternative credit option.

Thomas Edison State College: Psychology

Torah College Credits - Home

NCCRS | Translating noncollegiate learning experiences into college credit recommendations since 1973
TESC AAS CJ, December 2015
Working on TESU BA CJ/PSY March 2018

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
DSST: Criminal Justice, Principles of Supervision, Substance Abuse
PF: Principles of Loss Prevention, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
The Institutes: Ethics Course
AP: American History
FHSU: Justice in the Information Age
NOCTI Business Solutions: Protective Services, Security and Protective Services
Schmoop: Drugs in Lit
swalke321 Wrote:It is Torah College Credits which is similar to Straighterline except they are NCCRS recommended. TCC is not a college but offers courses that are NCCRS recommended and some colleges will accept credits that have been evaluated by ACE or NCCRS. The TESC psychology degree is still easy to do, it just has some specific requirements that can be taken at any 2 or 4 year college or other alternative credit sources such as TCC. The BA programs require a capstone and it looks like the Psych degree requires Social Psychology of 6 credits. TESC offers Social Psychology for 6 credits while other schools offer it for 3 credits. TESC also requires History and Systems of Psychology and Physiological Psychology which can be both completed through TCC. TESC also requires Ethics in the Social Sciences. It looks like the rest can be completed easily via exams or other alternative credit option.

Thomas Edison State College: Psychology

Torah College Credits - Home

NCCRS | Translating noncollegiate learning experiences into college credit recommendations since 1973

I see they're still running both websites. My guess is that they changed their name to Tor because they didn't want to give the impression that they only offer Jewish-related studies.
Tor College Credits - Home
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I see they're still running both websites. My guess is that they changed their name to Tor because they didn't want to give the impression that they only offer Jewish-related studies.
Tor College Credits - Home

The name changes were confusing me. It looks like Tor College Credits, Torah College Credits and Coopersmith Career Consulting are the same organization just different names. It looks like under the NCCRS TCC is actually listed as Coopersmith Career Consulting. That confused me the first time when I was trying to verify the NCCRS recommendation.

TECEP: Marriage and Family, Abnormal Psy, Intro to Soc, Psy of Women, Public Relations, Computer Concepts and Applications, Liberal Arts Math
ECE: Cultural Diversity, Juvenile Delinquency, Workplace Communications, Business Information Systems
Propero: Victimology, Criminology, Intro to Homeland Security, Juvenile Justice, Criminal Justice Ethics
I put together a list of just the Psych area of study (2016 catalog) as a guide. There are 2 holes and a maybe, I have no idea what TESC wants for the Social Psychology. TESC does have a 6 credit social psychology class. ECE and study.com also offer Social Psychology but it is 3 credits not 6. They also want 3 credits Ethics in Social Sciences, not sure of any alternatives but there probably are a few. I've seen a few mentions on here of where the Research Methods in Psychology from ECE might satisfy the Research in Experimental Psychology course. A TESC advisor referred to that course as a research methods course so TESC may accept the ECE course as equivalent. A few sources for psychology credits: DSST, CLEP, ECE, TECEP, Straighterline, TCC, study.com.

II. Area of Study: Psychology 39
A. Required Courses 30
• Introduction to Psychology (3) CLEP, ECE, Straighterline
• Research in Experimental Psychology (3) ECE (Research in Psychology)? UL
• Social Psychology (6) UL
• History and Systems of Psychology (3) TCC UL
• Physiological Psychology (3) TCC UL
• Developmental Psychology (3) CLEP, DSST, ECE
• Abnormal Psychology (3) TECEP, ECE UL
• Statistics (3) ALEKS, DSST, ECE, TECEP, Straighterline
• Ethics in the Social Sciences (3) UL
B. Capstone 3
• LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone (3) UL
C. Psychology Electives (6)
• Introductory Educational Psychology CLEP
• Organizational Behavior DSST UL
• Psychology of Women TECEP
• Fundamentals of Counseling DSST UL
• Psychology of Adulthood and Aging ECE UL

If im reading Sanantones Gen Ed guide correctly it lists Straighterline organizational behavior as being UL. Is this correct?

Also, i dont see straighterlines Pharmacology 1 listed anywhere. Does that mean I cannot use it as a gen ed elective?

Edit: answered two of my own questions.
swalke321 Wrote:I put together a list of just the Psych area of study (2016 catalog) as a guide. There are 2 holes and a maybe, I have no idea what TESC wants for the Social Psychology. TESC does have a 6 credit social psychology class. ECE and study.com also offer Social Psychology but it is 3 credits not 6. They also want 3 credits Ethics in Social Sciences, not sure of any alternatives but there probably are a few. I've seen a few mentions on here of where the Research Methods in Psychology from ECE might satisfy the Research in Experimental Psychology course. A TESC advisor referred to that course as a research methods course so TESC may accept the ECE course as equivalent. A few sources for psychology credits: DSST, CLEP, ECE, TECEP, Straighterline, TCC, study.com.

II. Area of Study: Psychology 39
A. Required Courses 30
• Introduction to Psychology (3) CLEP, ECE, Straighterline
• Research in Experimental Psychology (3) ECE (Research in Psychology)? UL
• Social Psychology (6) UL
• History and Systems of Psychology (3) TCC UL
• Physiological Psychology (3) TCC UL
• Developmental Psychology (3) CLEP, DSST, ECE
• Abnormal Psychology (3) TECEP, ECE UL
• Statistics (3) ALEKS, DSST, ECE, TECEP, Straighterline
• Ethics in the Social Sciences (3) UL
B. Capstone 3
• LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone (3) UL
C. Psychology Electives (6)
• Introductory Educational Psychology CLEP
• Organizational Behavior DSST UL
• Psychology of Women TECEP
• Fundamentals of Counseling DSST UL
• Psychology of Adulthood and Aging ECE UL

Substance Abuse DSST was accepted before, so it's probably still accepted now as a psychology elective. The same probably also applies to criminal justice.

Vaeal Wrote:If im reading Sanantones Gen Ed guide correctly it lists Straighterline organizational behavior as being UL. Is this correct?

Also, i dont see straighterlines Pharmacology 1 listed anywhere. Does that mean I cannot use it as a gen ed elective?

Edit: answered two of my own questions.

For future reference, SL equivalencies for TESC are at the link below. Organizational Behavior is cross-listed as a management and psychology course on the TESC website.
Thomas Edison State College Course Equivalency Guide | StraighterLine
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Substance Abuse DSST is a psychology elective, it's on my eval as such. I forgot about that one.

@Sanantone,

Thank you for the response and all you've contributed. I did stumble across that link although it lists pharmacology 1 as a development course? I'm not sure what that means. Do you happen to know?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  July 2018 current fees at the Big 3 dfrecore 70 12,925 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Last Post: KawJa
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,974 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,862 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,583 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 4,686 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,641 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Thumbs Up TEST ASBA yayowonder 4 1,754 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 4,988 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,107 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Error after submitting TECEP test nerd 4 1,922 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito