Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC Tuition Plans Clarification
Good morning all,
I've searched a bit trying to figure this out, but am still confused. I've been taking a break for the past two years, but just jumped back in with both feet, knocking out 4 ALEKS tests in the past two weeks, and I'm trying to get my head around some of the changes that have clearly occurred at TESC. I saw bricabrac's warning about getting in before July, and that is what I'm about ready to do.

I am reading conflicting information on the Per Credit Tuition Plan (PCTP). I see on TESC's website that that plan requires you to take 24 credits for a BA, at an out of state cost of $11,784 (491*24). I am also reading recent posts on here that under the PCTP, and I'm quoting dfrecore here, that "You missed the part where you can enroll in TESC for free ($75 application fee), and then pay $111 out-of-state for 4 TECEP's to make your residency requirement (or 3 TECEP's plus the capstone)."

I'm trying to figure out if I enroll in the PCTP at TESC, am I ultimately committing to 11k+, or less than 1k? Anyone? Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started on 03/09/2012 (on break from 2/2013 - 5/2015)
Goal: TESC BSBA - CIS or Gen. Mgmt.

Earned so far: 61/120 credits
ALEKS - College Algebra
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS - Intro to Stats
ALEKS - Business Stats
CLEP - A&I Literature - 66
CLEP - College Comp w/ essay - 58
CLEP - Principles of Management - 67
CLEP - Principles of Marketing - 70
CLEP - Intro. Business Law - 64
DSST - Human Resource Management - 62
DSST - Principles of Supervision - 460
DSST - Intro to Computing - 463
DSST - Management Information Systems - 461
DSST - Intro to Business - 453
DSST - Business Ethics and Society - 444
DSST - Ethics in America - 458
DSST - Cybersecurity - 458
TECEP - Network Technology
TEEX - Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for Business Professionals
FEMA - Prof. Dev. Certificate (Now worthless)

Other:
ISC2 CISSP
You aren't commiting to $11k because the TECEP exams ($111/ea) meet the requirements for residency but you still need 24 credits from TESC regardless of if they come from TECEP, guided studies, e-packs, or classes. You can also enroll under the PCTP now & later switch plans, at least that is what I was told by TESC. If you do that, then you would no longer need to meet the 24cr residency requirement, but would pay more money out of pocket. Also, its actually cheaper to take Saylor or Kaplan's PLA intro courses & then do PLA credits at $36 per credit I believe. Pla can also be dicey though because you don't know if it will get approved.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
I don't mind taking their tests, and I'm a good test taker, so the residency reqs don't bother me so much. I'm more worried about the total amount of $$ due to TESC. So, correct me if I'm wrong, then I can enroll in PCTP for very little ($75 or so from what I read), take 4 TECEP exams at $111/ea., plus any and all transfer credits, and I'm done (not including graduation fees, etc.)?

I'm not worried so much about a few hundred dollars, but that $11k number was a bit shocking. I'm guessing that is how much it costs to take 24 credits worth of B&M or online classes? If so, I can understand why they don't mention the TECEP price in the same breath.
southsidej Wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I enroll in the PCTP at TESC, am I ultimately committing to 11k+, or less than 1k? Anyone? Thanks.

Good for you! It simply makes sense to take advantage of the opportunity to become an enrolled student for approx $200; wWhile hopefully warding off any further changes to your desired degree program.

Answer to your question: Less than 1k if you plan to take the capstone, Strategic Management, via TECEP or the Penn Foster course.

Application fee: $75
TECEPs: $111x8

Residency - 24cr Bachelor's and 12cr Associate's degree.

Note: If you should decide to take an actual TESC course under the PPC Plan the rate is $491/credit. (Tuition Plan)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
southsidej Wrote:I don't mind taking their tests, and I'm a good test taker, so the residency reqs don't bother me so much. I'm more worried about the total amount of $$ due to TESC. So, correct me if I'm wrong, then I can enroll in PCTP for very little ($75 or so from what I read), take 4 TECEP exams at $111/ea., plus any and all transfer credits, and I'm done (not including graduation fees, etc.)?

You need to take 8 TECEPs ( not 4) or the combination of TECEPs and TESC courses to qualify for per-credit plan for a Bachelor degree.

P.S Sorry. While I was writing, bricabrac answered your question.Smile
Ok, got it. Thanks for the clarification all!

I suppose that before I take any more CLEPs or DSSTs, I need to revise my plan around 8 TECEPs first, then backfill with CLEPs and DSSTs. Is there a list of overlapping content for TECEPs, sort of like this: CLEP and DSST Overlap List! - Free-Clep-Prep.com
Yes, if I were you, I would choose my 8 TECEP's first, then backfill. My order is: 1) TECEP's 2) TEEX (up to 6 units - free) 3) Kaplan PLA (3 units - free) 4) NFA (up to 3 units - free) 5) SophiaLearning.org (3 units - if you can get the free coupon through 3/31) 6) ALEKS (up to 12 units - $20/mo) 7) Saylor (up to 33 units @ $25/course) 8) CLEP/DSST or Straighterline, depending on which is easier for you. I also keep in mind the need for UL units, TECEP's can help with that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@bricabrac, How do I apply for the Per Credit Plan. I clicked on Pay my Enrollment and it only listed 2 options (Enrolled Options and Comprehensive). I am an international student and I would like to take 8 TECEP to meet the residency requirements instead of paying $3k+. Do I need to call TESC since this is not online? Thanks
heidi08 Wrote:@bricabrac, How do I apply for the Per Credit Plan. I clicked on Pay my Enrollment and it only listed 2 options (Enrolled Options and Comprehensive). I am an international student and I would like to take 8 TECEP to meet the residency requirements instead of paying $3k+. Do I need to call TESC since this is not online? Thanks

Good for you! See the following post by Cloakswall for how to begin the process; you would actually register for your first TECEP(s).

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post172646

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Addressing Concerns of Out-of-State Tuition UnbreakablyDetermined 17 3,739 08-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 2,011 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,986 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,646 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  2nd BA Degree in Accounting at TESU - Clarification Question acamp 21 4,409 03-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU - Study.com Tuition Discount mrshill818 27 7,549 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,454 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,197 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,990 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,349 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77