Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC and Saylor Strategic Management
Does anyone know if this course will fulfill the Strategic management portion of the BSBA in General Management? I did the quizzes for each area and seem to be passing them with no issue so I could probably cold stick the final. I'm just wondering if its worth the effort or not? ( will TESC count it for what I need?) I am also wondering if any Saylor classes cover business policy and principles of finance?
Degrees:
Associate: Pikes Peak Community College - Associate of General Studies 2012
Bachelors: Thomas Edison State College - BSBA (General Management) 2013 ~ Arnold Fletcher Award Recipient
Link to Degree Plan
MBA: Patten University - Master of Business Administration - Information Technology 2017
armyb77 Wrote:Does anyone know if this course will fulfill the Strategic management portion of the BSBA in General Management? I did the quizzes for each area and seem to be passing them with no issue so I could probably cold stick the final. I'm just wondering if its worth the effort or not? ( will TESC count it for what I need?) I am also wondering if any Saylor classes cover business policy and principles of finance?

I doubt it since Saylor's SM course hasn't received NCCRS or ACE approval yet. Hopefully it will soon because it will help bring down the cost for completing a degree, along with other courses receiving approval. You could probably use Saylor's course to help prep for the TECEP on Strategic Management but I'm don't know for sure.

Only 3 Saylor course have NCCRS approval so far, none of them have received such approval from ACE yet: The Saylor Foundation, College Credit Recommendations: National CCRS

Of these, 2 fulfill specific requirements for the BSBA degree through TESC (probably EC & COSC too but I'm not sure). The POLSC course can be used for a GenEd or Free Elective.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
IrishJohn is correct. This course cannot be used at TESC yet. However I did use the Saylor Strategic Management course to study for the TESC exam of the same name which I took two weeks ago. The Saylor material covered everything I needed for the TECEP ( $95 TESC exam sent to your local proctor). This test covers the Business Policy requirement for the BSBA General Management degree (I just completed the same). With Principles of Finance I again used Saylor for this class and took the DSST. This test was not as bad as I have read in some of the other posts.
jmr3005 Wrote:IrishJohn is correct. This course cannot be used at TESC yet. However I did use the Saylor Strategic Management course to study for the TESC exam of the same name which I took two weeks ago. The Saylor material covered everything I needed for the TECEP ( $95 TESC exam sent to your local proctor). This test covers the Business Policy requirement for the BSBA General Management degree (I just completed the same). With Principles of Finance I again used Saylor for this class and took the DSST. This test was not as bad as I have read in some of the other posts.

This is very good to know.
JMR3005,

For the Strategic Management course with Saylor, how did you approach it? Did you listen to all of the lectures, and do all of the readings, or what? That's a course for which I need credits, and I'm trying to figure out how I'll do it. Thanks.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer,

I started with the existing feedback for the test on the forum, reviewed the test description, and bought the text in the syllabus (I used an older edition). The companion website for the text is extremely helpful with quizzes and presentations. You can access it directly from the textbook link in the TESC on-line syllabus for the course. I cut and pasted the key terms from each chapter on the website into a separate study guide. Same with key points from Saylor.

As for the Saylor version it shows approx. 62 hours needed to complete. I spent about 10 hours. I did not listen to the lectures or read anything that I was pretty familiar with. Example: Chpt. 1 includes "Principles of Management" which was already covered by a recent CLEP. The QuickMBA readings and quizzes were key for me. If I didn't do well on the quizzes I went back and reviewed. Each quiz has detailed answers as does the syllabus recommended text website.

The TECEP itself is multiple choice and basic essay questions. Neither section is difficult as long as you know the basic information covered in the material. I will share that this was my first TECEP and I was in such a hurry to see the essay questions that I failed to notice that there was a Scantron answer sheet that I WAS SUPPOSED TO USE. This was clearly spelled out in the directions which I failed to read. TESC was very nice and did this for me since I circled all my MC answers directly on the test. I will say that I learned on the next TECEP there is a general information section on the Scantron that takes a few minutes to complete and for me this was while I was on the clock. I would recommend completing this last or complete before or after the timed portion to avoid needless anxiety about the clock. My proctor was OK with this and time was not an issue. I completed in 1:15.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!
Thanks, JMR3005. Your answer was very detailed. While I'm studying for stats now (and having LOADS of problems understanding things), the Strat. Mgmt. TECEP will be my next test. It will be my first (and last!) TECEP, so I especially appreciate the information that you've supplied about the nuts and bolts of TECEPs. When will you learn your score on the exam?
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Saylor/TESU Discount Residency Waiver Fee for ASBA jumpstart 7 3,069 08-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,502 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,629 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  DSST Management Information Systems and CLEP Business Information systems vetvso 10 2,566 06-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with BALS General Management Concentration or alternatives YeaStudy 17 4,075 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Last Post: YeaStudy
  TESU BSBA General Management d.cononge 0 986 03-06-2018, 10:10 AM
Last Post: d.cononge
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,445 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  UL options for Management Information Systems at TESU allvia 4 2,115 02-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,185 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BSBA in Healthcare Management at TESU? Trndacres 10 2,602 01-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Ideas